CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lob Wedge RobL is on a distinguished road

Punched greens...

I am just wondering about courses punching their greens at this point of the season. I kind of expect courses to be in prime shape now. I am especially annoyed at not being told ahead of time, and being charged full green fees for sub-par conditions....and no I don't mean birdies and eagles . It strikes me as unfair for them to do this. We played a course in the west end today and found punched greens that were very much like early spring conditions with balls bouncing all over the place. Definitely not what I count on seeing at the end of July. I stopped in to the pro shop at the end of the round to politely tell them that I thought that it was pretty bad to charge full price when the greens are in that condition. They immediately asked how many players were in my group and gave me vouchers for each player for $15 off a round. Now, this is good and bad. Good because they are acknowleding it. Bad because I had to go in and complain to get them. They had them right there and ready, why not just give them to us when we paid. How many people don't complain and therefore don't get anything, and perhaps leave the course annoyed enough not to return? Also, the voucher is fine....but do I really want to go back to play another round on those crappy greens? They should just be straight and discount the green fees until the greens are back to playable.

Also it seems to me that I read an article recently that was disputing the value in the practice of punching greens at anytime.

I think that we need a thread listing when courses punch their greens so that we can make our own decision on whether we want to play there or not.

Anyhow, just my two cents.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I played Equinelle on Thursday and noticed a big sign right by the pro shop counter informing people about their upcoming schedule of punching the greens.

I forgot to commit the dates to memory but something tells me it starts on Aug 3rd and runs through the 9th but don't hold me to that. I would suggest calling the course ahead of time if you are planning to play and want a definitive answer.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Please refrain from facility bashing. I have had to remove 2 posts already. If you can't comment without flaming a course then don't comment. I don't want to have to close the thread.
    Thanks.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Punching greens is what keeps the greens in great shape...

Aerating allows the roots to breathe, as the greens are quite densely seeded and rolled. Yes, it would be nice to know, but you can pretty much count on the procedure happening around this time of year.

FYI, I'll be aerating my lawn in the next week as well. Regular green fees apply.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Perhaps we can have a punching green thread, where folks can update the rest of us if they know a course has/will punch greens. I do think a course should offer a 15% reduction at least if the greens are punched.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Nothing wrong with posting where greens are punched. Just don't flame the facilities.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Stonebridge is punching greens from Aug 3-8. Their website lists pricing at $40 for the duration.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Never have I seen a forum run by such nazi-like moderators.

My post was removed for politely, simply asking if the OP was talking about Canadian. Kilroy, if you're only going to allow posts that meet your opinion and writing style, you should just convert this from a forum to a blog

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    "Nazi-like moderators" ... apart from the allusion being objectionable it's factually inaccurate. The moderators on this forum attempt to ensure that discussions do not degenerate into name-calling denigration of courses or persons. As well, you will find that political and religious discussion are off-limits. The frequenters of this site know this going in and adjust their approach accordingly. If one doesn't like it, then one can move along to another site.

Quote Originally Posted by Husband View Post
    Never have I seen a forum run by such nazi-like moderators. ...
    Last edited by mpare; 08-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Your post was removed due to the susequent comment you made.

Calling me (or anyone else) a Natzi is not something I tolerate. When you return I hope you will be more civil in your posts.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Your post was removed due to the susequent comment you made.

Calling me (or anyone else) a Natzi is not something I tolerate. When you return I hope you will be more civil in your posts.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Lob Wedge RobL is on a distinguished road
    Arrghhhhh.....I am almost sorry that I asked my question. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I would just like to know ahead of time if the greens are punched.....and I think that they should discount fees when they are.

Also, I respect the way this site is run. This is why I did not mention the course's name....although I must admit that I was tempted to. I think that allowing flaming of the courses would lead to a place that would result in the site not really being useful anymore. I enjoy reading the discussions that go on here.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I would think it's a matter of common courtesy (and sound business practice) to mention that the greens are/will be punched at the time of booking. If the tee time was booked online, then sure, it's buyer beware. Wouldn't hurt to put in a few extra minutes and give the course a call after booking, IMO.

But, to those who call for times and then arrive to find the greens punched, that's just poor form.

Don't be sorry, as I said, it's ok to report where greens are punched. The ruckus was caused by something else.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The ruckus was caused by something else.
    i think i'm having a flashback.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    i finally get to play stonebridge since its only 40$ on saturday (Im a cheap ***)

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Arnprior's greens were punched earlier this week.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Cloverdale's were punched on Thursday.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Q? Do you think with such a short season the greens need punching?
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Absolutely they do, and generally more than once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    For one thing and it's not readily visible, the greens do get compacted this time of year because of all the play and daily cutting and so aeration and verti-cutting reduces this.

Also, the depth of the root system, one key to healthy grass, is reduced and aeration allows the water to penetrate further into the soil. Roots seek water and if the water is only at the surface they shrivel up but if it's farther down they grow that way to get it (Hydrotropism??)

Putter NedPGM is on a distinguished road NedPGM's Avatar
    Not sure what you consider a long season, but I would say that April 9th to mid November is a long enough season? If the supers had their way they would aerate at least three times per season.

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    3 times per season for sure! however generally supers know that during such a heat streak they do not airify with large tines if at all (solid small pencil tines don't hurt the greens as much) . Most courses can airify in may and june and then again early sept and early oct. This process is the most stressful thing done to a course. You beat the sh!t out of the green, cover it with scalding hot sand, and then drag mats or brushes across them. doing it at this time of year can really hurt the green.

My p.o with this process.. most courses don't tell you on the phone that it has been done and then charge you full pop. to me, it's a good way to ensure I don't hurry back to play it again that season.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Just a quick note to say Loch March was aerating the greens today. Small holes with a sand top dress.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Any word on the equinelle greens? I'm playing there this upcoming Saturday....

Sand Wedge jono31 is on a distinguished road
    Aerating can be really annoying, but I take this as a good time to play inexpensive courses in the area until my preferred course has its greens recover. It is good to know when they do aerate, as I play Loch March largely because of the greens. Now is time to hunt for deals and play some twilight golf, no need to complain about aerating.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Punching is necessary and happens every year. I agree it is better if a course advises prior to you playing but to be certain you are not surprised then ask every single time you make a tee time from the end of July until the end of August. I am sure the courses advise their staff to inform golfers but the kid in the proshop will often forget!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    If concern about punched greens, just ask when booking (it's not like rocket science)

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Anyone planning on playing at Camelot want to let you know the greens begin being punched on 9 Aug. So if you want to get out this is the week to do it.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    All the courses seem to do it at the same time, it's like they want all golfers to not enjoy putting for 1-2 weeks during the summer no matter what course you're on lol.

Thread Information