CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar

Synthetic Green in Basement

Hey I want to put a synthetic green in my basement. Cause it's not out in the elements does anyone know how deep the sub fill needs to be in order to take the weight of a person or 2. It looks like the outdoor ones generally are pretty deep for drainage, but I obviously won't need that.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    You could use as little as 1" depending on the turf that you are using. You may also want to consider the possibility of placing a simulator system in your basement. If so, you may need to leave up to 4" in depth - some sims don't require any floor sensors, but it is good to decide that now so you don't kick yourself later

As far as the turf goes, there are tonnes of great synthetic turf companies out there, so give your local company a call to work that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shushu View Post
    Hey I want to put a synthetic green in my basement. Cause it's not out in the elements does anyone know how deep the sub fill needs to be in order to take the weight of a person or 2. It looks like the outdoor ones generally are pretty deep for drainage, but I obviously won't need that.

Lob Wedge colinls is on a distinguished road
    I am thinking of doing this in my garage, have you learned anything about it?

Yes, I was able to get some great turf for my house - I'll be posting pictures soon

I got it from On Deck Sports - they were great to deal with and I got a heck of a price! Shipping was costly though. They have an online store here: http://www.ondecksports.com/

Hope that helps....

Cheers,
    Cory

Lob Wedge colinls is on a distinguished road

Artificial Turf.

Thanks for the link Cory. What exact grass did you go for? I would want it to roll similar to a real green speed wise, is that possible?

Thanks

Colin

I went with the PB03 Turf - not quite the perfect green speed, so you should just ask them for some samples of putting greens in your price range.

I really love the turf I got and it looks great!

I'll have to get some pics up soon

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers,
    Cory

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    I got my turf from http://www.turfoutlet.com/sports.htm SR36 for my simulator. This stuff has a real nice country club roll and no infill needed. Best price I could find too. I got several samples from different places and this stuff was the best.

70jr
    This mat looks tall to be fast, MMlincon can you guess what number on a stimpmeter it would be? I am thinking that the reason why short game might be a problem is because playing on a sim you lose control over distance if people have 10-15 feet of space from sim to impact screen, one can practice distance control. Put a cup out there and if it is a downhill putt place the cup closer and if it is an uphill putt move the cup farther back, what do you guys think? If you get green turf and put it in front of the sim you should get true roll and one could practice on speed with a tape measure. What do you guys think?

70jr
    Mmlincon now that your on could you guess for me?

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    I would say the stimp would be in the 10 range on the turf I have. It has a consistent roll and I have about 18ft to work on distance control. I've tuned my simulator to be pretty close, but it does vary from course to course. This turf is only about 3/8" thick. It has a nice padding on the bottom and you can just lay it out on whatever surface you have. You can treat it like carpet basically. If I had to knock it for anything it would be noise. It can be a tad noisy walking on it.

70jr
    thanks

70jr
    mmlincon the company is out of stock and it does not look like it is going to be in anytime soon. Does anyone else know of a place in the states that i can get a similar product? There are a couple of local stores that do the turf but I really like that price. I will get back to you if I find anything similar

You could try ProMounds - my clients and I have used them and they have some really good turf. http://www.promounds.com/.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Cory

70jr
    what green style turf do you have? what is the product number

The one that I have is a PB03, not sure of the stimp on it though. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend a version with a felt or rubber backing on it so that it lies flat. My installation at home had a slight ripple in it because I glued it down to foam.

70jr
    I cannot find that part number what category is it under

Just give them a shout using the phone number on the website.

70jr
    will do

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Had SouthWest Greens install Challenger Ind DFPT putting turf in basement for 15 ft x 30 ft green. Stimp is 10.5. Installed on 2x4 frames with beams 16 inches on center for stability. 3/4 inch sanded playwood. P250 5mm cushon between the plywood and turf. Also installed chipping turf on platform Challenger Ind ELRT. By raising the subfloor you can install real metal cups that are trimmed slightly. Its been a while since I installed this but from what I remember the materials differ a lot in density and quality does vary a bit from different manufacturers. Better products were more dense but more expensive. They also are good for chipping on.

I also have a few other greens on subfloors I built afterwards (saves a lot of money on labor) but I used very cheap green material from BirdieBall. These are more functional for practice in the winter when I can't get to the practice green - one extends my green to 60 feet, another up / down hill putts, and another breaking putts. The material Birdie Ball uses is not a high end indoor putting turf like my other. It is functional. They said I can get a 10-11 stimp surface to match my 10.5 practice green but it rolls like a 12 which there are very few clubs in the area that consistently roll at a 12 on a flat putt. The other aspect with these surfaces are they leave foot prints when you walk but go away after a couple minutes.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    70jr - I think I saw that you installed a putting green by synlawn? How did that work out? would you recommend it? Looking for a putting surface to use with / around a simulator

FYI - Home Depot and Lowe's sells the green indoor/outdoor carpet that I'm sure we've all seen. Can be glued down on plywood. I tested it out with a an improvised stimp meter ($2 worth of cove moulding!) - both are about a 9. Only did a couple of readings (did it in the store - got a couple of funny looks!).

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    i recently bought some from home depot to cover the front lip of my daughter's bunker for cosmetic purposes. very inexpensive. it's not very dense material though like the high end putting surfaces and perhaps not useable for a chipping green. if it works and your happy with the stimp speed and roll sounds like you have yourself a very affordable solution.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Been there, done that. The stuff from Home Depot/Lowes is ok. It is not as good as the more expensive gear from plaves like Southwest Greens etc. It certainly is an affordable way to go.

I'm torn on what to do here. I have a space that is about 15 x 19 in which the sim will be sitting. It's a cement floor that I'll probably build up to be at the height of the Protee sensor pad and to allow for some putting cups. Given the size of the space and the fact that the hitting mats (double wide for Left and right) / sensor is right in the middle, it seems like the space for practice putting is just the strips on either side, parallel to the hitting path (and of course the path for the sim hitting). So covering the entire area with an expensive surface seems like a lot of it would be wasted. It would be a different story as a dedicated putting green. Although, I suppose I could get creative with creating a practice green that weaves in / out of the sim setup.

At 300 square feet, the cost starts to add up when you get into the really expensive stuff, but I would like something better than the Lowes/HD indoor/outdoor. That stuff looks like it will do the job but it is pretty flimsy looking. I might try to just find a slightly nicer carpet that has a similar speed. The industrial stuff at Home Depot rolled 12-13+ (rolled right off the end)

Any idea of the cost of the Southwest Greens / Synlawn greens?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    A lot more on cost than Home Depot. I would suggest that to save money just put the putting section only with the Southwest or whatever higher end greens you pick.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Have ordered turf for my setup - 4metres by 7 metres

http://www.bigbrands.com.au/catalogue/product.php/1/101

$300-pretty cheap as it works out $1 per sq foot!

I can upgrade to a thicker pile height which obviously will cost more- $500

http://www.bigbrands.com.au/catalogu...1/island-green

see the photos in the sample folder http://www.bigbrands.com.au/catalogue/product.php/1/12

Should I do it?

The company rang and sid no Organic green in stock -4 week wait

do I spend on the Island green????

specs Island green $19 sq metre
    Pile Height - 1.5cm
    Pile Weight - 0.80Kg/M2 Total - 1.6Kg/M2
    Stitch Rate - 28
    Gauge - 3/16
    Tufted Density - 60000D/M2
    Primary Back - AMOCO
    Pile Material - P.P
    Backing Glue - Synthetic Glue
    Yarn Denier – 3000

Specs Organic green $11 sq metre
    Pile Height - 0.8cm
    Pile Weight - 0.45Kg/M2 Total - 1.2Kg/M2
    Stitch Rate - 21
    Gauge - 3/16
    Tufted Density - 46000D/M2
    Primary Back - AMOCO
    Pile Material - P.P
    Backing Glue - Synthetic Glue
    Yarn Denier – 3000
    grass4.jpg
    photos here

HELP
    http://www.bigbrands.com.au/catalogue/product.php/1/12

Lob Wedge i505 is on a distinguished road
    I haven't heard of that company before, but those specs look pretty solid for that price.

I can't say this enough, but with online turf you should ALWAYS order a sample when you are doing projects like this. Most companies will send you a sample for free or for the cost of shipping; get multiple samples from different places and compare them.

I found out very quickly how different they can all be, and narrowed my search from 5 companies down to 2 just by looking at them side by side. The other 2 then had a shootout which included parking my car halfway on them overnight to see how they reacted to heavy traffic. lol. One sample popped right back up, and the other lost some of it's spring.

I ended up going with ATPG1 for my backyard build, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    That looks great. Was it DIY or did you have a company coming in?

Will have to go and look at them. Unfortunately in Dandenong so if I don't post again you all know I didn't make it out alive.

Thread Information