+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinehurst

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Pinehurst

This August my brother-in-law and I will be joining another 10 guys in eight days of golfing in the Carolinas. Initially, we'll be playing Tobacco Road, Legacy and Talamore and then we'll tour four of the Pinehurst courses: Numbers 1, 2, 7 and 8. Number 2 is in the process of being returned to its initial design as intended by Donald Ross so I'm looking forward to what changes have been effected.

Something tells me that the golf will be great, the laughs plentiful and the bets frequent and enthusiastic. If any of you have suggestions as to great places to eat, I'd welcome your comments. Also, if you can tell me where I might look for discounted golf clubs, I'd like to hear about that as well.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Mike, are you staying at the resort while you are there?

As far as the Pinehurst courses go, I would recommend swapping number 4 in for #1 or #7. #1 isn't bad but it's not nearly as nice as #4. They were re-doing number 7 just after I last played there which was a good idea because I didn't like it at all. Way too many blind tee shots. It may be better now.

I'm also curious what they are doing to #2.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

John, I suspect that we won't be changing the courses that we are playing, but I will speak to the organizer. As for the changes to number 2, this link will provide you with some very useful information: http://www.pinehurst.com/no2update.php
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thanks for the link.

I like the idea of turning the sodded areas into more natural areas of rough. One of the holes on the front still had one of those guarding the corner of a dogleg when I played it and if you happened to land in the wrong area you were hosed.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    This August my brother-in-law and I will be joining another 10 guys in eight days of golfing in the Carolinas. Initially, we'll be playing Tobacco Road, Legacy and Talamore and then we'll tour four of the Pinehurst courses: Numbers 1, 2, 7 and 8. Number 2 is in the process of being returned to its initial design as intended by Donald Ross so I'm looking forward to what changes have been effected.

Something tells me that the golf will be great, the laughs plentiful and the bets frequent and enthusiastic. If any of you have suggestions as to great places to eat, I'd welcome your comments. Also, if you can tell me where I might look for discounted golf clubs, I'd like to hear about that as well.
    You sure you want to play Tobacco Road? Ugh...

My brother and I played Tobacco Road a number of years ago. It's one of my favourite courses. Yes, I know that it's tough, but I love the design. It's absolutely strategic. I also love the expansive areas of waste bunkers.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    You sure you want to play Tobacco Road? Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    My brother and I played Tobacco Road a number of years ago. It's one of my favourite courses. Yes, I know that it's tough, but I love the design. It's absolutely strategic. I also love the expansive areas of waste bunkers.
    Oh, I'm not suggesting it's tough. For a good player, it's actually pretty easy. I just prefer a more traditional golf course. I do appreciate when a designer does a few things different. However, at Tobacco Road, the man went overboard IMO.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

pinehurst

played there myself, i find its just as good as myrtle beach but unlike myrtle there are some elevation changes and such to make it a little more interesting..another course you might want to try is the pit...its kinda like tobacco road but not so severe..
    a couple of steak places...beefeaters and lobsteer in were good, there are some breakfast places called macs were good...and golden corral for a buffet, cheap and lots of choices...
    have fun

After a 14 hour drive yesterday, we played our first course today, Legacy Links (4.5 stars from Golf Digest). The course is beautifully laid out from tee to green. However, because of the extended hot spell, the greens are without a shred of doubt, in the worst shape of any greens I have ever putted on. Awful is the appropriate descriptor. There were many that were infested with little tufts of poa, which gave the appearance of a weed patch. If you had the misfortune of striking one of these babies it was almost akin to hitting a toonie, except worse. Many of the greens had a mixture of grass and dirt. I would have taken a picture, but that would have meant that the memory would stick with me. I didn't want that.

The best part of the day was spending time with the other 11 guys. That was great.

Tomorrow we play Mid South. Here's hoping that they haven't had the same problems with their greens.

Gotta go. A poker game beckons.
    Last edited by mpare; 08-14-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Sucks about the conditions. Hopefully the resort will be in good shape.

Unfortunately not surprising, because it has been so brutally hot there this summer.

Today was much better. We played Mid South, a beautiful and challenging Arnorld Palmer designed track. While we played from the white tees (out of fairness to some of the higher handicapped players), I used every club in my bag. The greens (while not perfect) were a huge improvement over yesterday, which didn't stop me from missing a 2 footer. Today's 72 was much more satisfying than yesterday's 77.

Tomorrow we'll be visiting Tobacco Road. I can hardly wait. On Monday we'll be challenging Pinehurst #5 (we switched from #1), with numbers 2, 7, and 8 to follow. Better still Pinehurst upgraded us so we'll be resting our weary bones in The Carolina. This gives new meaning to decadent living. Can you see the smile on my face?

Have fun at the Carolina.

The breakfast buffet is great.

Thanks, John. I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Have fun at the Carolina.

The breakfast buffet is great.

After the shock of playing Tobacco Road yesterday (it's psychological warfare ... on the player), playing Pinehurst #5 was so much more pleasant. This is an old style course that is simply beautiful, and deceptive. One gets the impression that it will be easy to score, but it plays a lot longer than its stated yardage. You get very little roll and most of the greens are elevated. The bump and run is not a shot that can be used with regularity. All of that said, I was moderately pleased with my 75 from the White tees. Tomorrow we'll be visiting #2. Now that should be exciting.

Mike, can you walk if you have a caddy or does the ankle force you to take a cart? If it's the former I highly recommend a caddy for #2. It's a pretty easy walk and the caddy will save you some strokes.

Either way, have fun!

My ankle would not tolerate that kind of walk. By the time I'd finished 2 holes I wouldn't be able to walk any further, so it's carts for us unfortunately. We'll still have a good time, though.

Mike, can you walk if you have a caddy or does the ankle force you to take a cart? If it's the former I highly recommend a caddy for #2. It's a pretty easy walk and the caddy will save you some strokes.

Either way, have fun!

Here's a copy of my post (from which I deleted because of size a photo posted there) in the TGN site recapping the trip:

The trip to the Pinehurst area was all I could have hoped for. The three courses that we first played (Legacy, Mid South and Tobacco Road) were the perfect way to begin the week. Each presented their own set of challenges. Unfortunately, the extended hot spell had adversely affected Legacy, which is a great course, by practically destroying its greens. By contrast, Mid South, a Palmer designed course, and Tobacco Road were in very good condition and a joy to play.

The Pinehurst Resort had all of us praising its virtues. For some $800 we played four of its courses (more about that in a minute) and were accommodated at The Carolina complex. Actually, we were upgraded to this building. The price also included three dinners at The Carolina dinning room (gourmet dinning at its best) and four breakfasts to die for. The rooms, food and service were first rate. There was not enough that they could do for us.

The courses. Wow. We played numbers 5, 2, 7 and 8. Numbers 2 and 5 are situated on site, while 7 and 8 are a short distance away. I loved them all, though I was a bit partial to 2 (the US Open site now undergoing renovations) and 8. If you want to test all aspects of your game, you should give them a try. Trust me when I say that if you have a deficiency, the course will identify it quickly. As for the Bermuda rough, it's enough to make a grown man cry for more strength. I will be bulking up before I go back there ... and I certainly hope to go back.

I must say that I was particularly happy with the fact that I managed to score under 80 for each round. It's true that we did not play the back tees (we're too old for that), but the courses still kept us on our toes. Considering that I had been driving the ball at the Bradford Highlands like a bozo, the new courses must have focused my attention. I may have missed 6 or 7 fairways all week. Here are the scores that I posted:

Pinehurst Country Club (No. 8 Course), 79: (No. 7 Course), 75; (No. 2 Course), 74; (No. 5 Course), 75; Tobacco Road, 77; Mid South Club, 72; Legacy Golf Links, 77.

A word of advice. Don't play at Pinehurst in the morning, which is what we did on our last day, then jump into a car after a sandwich and drive 13 hours straight stopping only for gas and a sandwich to return home at 2:45 in the morning. Your back will not thank you for it. I am only now beginning to walk upright again.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Good report Mike.

Does #7 still have a lot of blind tee shots? That was my main beef with it when I played it before the remodel.

I don't recall ever feeling disadvantaged off the tee on number 7. Of course, I bought yardage books for every course that I played, but even they would not have allayed my concerns had I been faced with multiple blind shots. My guess is that it has been substantially changed since you played it last.

Wait until you see the changes that are being effected on number 2. You won't recognize it. They are bringing it back to its original design with lots of sandy expanses in lieu of the broad fairways that had been introduced over the years. I loved what I saw. I'm sure that when the work is completed it will be fantastic. If you're thinking of playing it in the near future, check with them first. I recall someone in the pro shop telling me that it will be out of play for at least two months to complete the work. Unfortunately, I can't recall what months those are.

Oh yes, one final bit of information on number 2. Because of the ongoing renovations to the course they reduced our bill by some $125 if I recall. That was very decent of them, since I still thought it a great course. Others preferred 8, but that is the nature of personal preferences.

From what I was told 4 is really fantastic. If I go back, I'll be playing that one for sure.

Good report Mike.

Does #7 still have a lot of blind tee shots? That was my main beef with it when I played it before the remodel.

If you liked #8 you'll definitely like #4.

No plans to go to Pinehurst in the near term but that may change. If I do, I'll give #7 another shot.

Thread Information