CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ball in Fescue

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Ball in Fescue

My ball comes to rest somewhere in long fescue grass. I see a ball but am not able to identify it. I gently spread the grass apart and see that the ball is mine. Must I now put the grass back into it's orignial position so as not to improve my lie?

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    3 screw-ups?? That was a mess of a round!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    You should have a weed wacker in your golf bag!

I believe you should have picked up the ball, then identified it, then place it back like it was. The gently spreading of grass is ok'ish if it was needed to identify your ball. What am I doing here? Gary Hill?!?!?! Help!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Rule 12-2: Identifying Ball

The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player should put an identification mark on his ball.

Except in a hazard, if a player has reason to believe a ball is his, he may lift the ball without penalty to identify it.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift the ball and identify it provided that he gives his opponent, marker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to observe the lifting and replacement. The ball must not be cleaned beyond the extent necessary for identification when lifted under Rule 12-2. If the player fails to comply with all or any part of this procedure, or if he lifts his ball for identification in a hazard, he incurs a penalty of one stroke.

If the lifted ball is the player’s ball he must replace it. If he fails to do so, he incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 12-2, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule.

*Penalty for Breach of Rule 12-2:
    Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.
    ---------------
    So you would have been okay had you announced your intent to identify your ball, then marked the position of the ball prior to lifting it. As your situation is described, you'd be given one stroke as a penalty for breaking the protocol required for penalty-free ball lifting.

I am also assuming that the fescue you're talking about wasn't staked off as a hazard or OB.

At least this is my interpretation...

Dan
    *If a player incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 12-2, there is no additional penalty under this Rule.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Rule 12-2: Identifying Ball

The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player should put an identification mark on his ball.
    Broken, I think you got the correct rule, but wrong section. BCMist's question is, I think, related to the first piece of 12-1 which states:

"In searching for his ball anywhere on the course, the player may touch or bend long grass, rushes, bushes, whins, heather or the like, but only to the extent necessary to find and identify it, provided that this does not improve the lie of the ball, the area of his intended stance or swing or his line of play."

My take on it is that if you do not improve your lie by replacing the grass, you are OK. If you have improved your lie, two strokes, as per the rule.

Gary will correct us as required.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    My ball comes to rest somewhere in long fescue grass. I see a ball but am not able to identify it. I gently spread the grass apart and see that the ball is mine. Must I now put the grass back into it's orignial position so as not to improve my lie?
    Rule 12-1. Searching for Ball; Seeing Ball
    In searching for his ball anywhere on the course, the player may touch or bend long grass, rushes, bushes, whins, heather or the like, but only to the extent necessary to find and identify it, provided that this does not improve the lie of the ball, the area of his intended stance or swing or his line of play.

Yes. It is the player's responsibility to make sure the lie is not improved.

Thread Information