100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Position of LOWER hand in grip

I fade the ball. Sometimes my fade turns in a hard fade (slice).

I'm a rightie. I take a strong grip (strong in the sense I can easily see three knuckles). As I take a stronger left hand (i.e. rotating to see more knuckles), should I also be rotating my right (lower) hand in the same direction - I guess you could say, making the right hand weaker?

What I've been doing is keeping my right hand basically on top of the left so that the "V" is pointed more or less towards my chin. I'm tempted to weaken my right hand. Wouldn't this also promote closing the face?

I see my question has generated a rousing level of response.

Went to the range yesterday, and hit with a "stronger" lower hand.

Played today, adopting the stronger lower, right hand. Results..... STRAIGHT BALLS!!!!! What a difference.

I shot 37 on the front... fell apart on the back with a triple, and two doubles, but still hit the ball pretty solid.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    I see my question has generated a rousing level of response.

Went to the range yesterday, and hit with a "stronger" lower hand.

Played today, adopting the stronger lower, right hand. Results..... STRAIGHT BALLS!!!!! What a difference.

I shot 37 on the front... fell apart on the back with a triple, and two doubles, but still hit the ball pretty solid.
    Glad to see that there was some positive improvement. To answer your original question, yes, as you turn your left hand clockwise, so should the right so that the groove at the base of your right thumb near the wrist fits over the pad of your left thumb.

Since you fade the ball, it's important to note where the ball starts. If it's left of target, then obviously your swing is outside in and a swing change is required. But if the ball starts at or just right of your target line then the grip change should suffice. Keep in mind that an altered grip will feel awkward for quite a while and the tendency will be for your hands to move back to the former grip as your subconscious likes its comfortable feeling

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I had trouble releasing the club so my teacher had me change my lower hand more under the club and what a change. Its amazing that such a change can make such a difference.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm also quite amazed at such a minute change and the effect. I firmly believe I've suffered from not releasing the club.

This may or may not sound weird, but about 20 years ago, I broke my left wrist badly (cutting the grass on a ridem' lawn mower - long story). I've never quite had the same strength since. When I speak to people that naturally draw the ball, I have them describe the release action, and one guy described that his left wrist rotates (I think pronate (or supinate?) is the correct term?). I simply don't have the rotation strength in comparison to my right arm.

Thread Information