100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Ball Position vs. Ball flight question

This question pertains mainly to the driver.

Yesterday, udring my round I found almost every ball to have a push-fade flight. The ball started to the right of the target on a straight line and tailed off to the right as it lost sped. Also the ball flight was high.

This is not my normal miss. I usually hit the ball straight, or if I am missing it, it is due to a variety of hook, pull hook, duck hook, off the planet hook and other types of hooks.

I thought I would move the ball forward in my stance in order to allow more time for the club release, in the hopes that I would bring the ball flight back to center.

But all it did was make the ball go higer and more right.

Today. at the range I did the same thing and had the same result. So I experimented with the opposite and moved the ball back to across from the logo on the left breat area of my shirt. Ball flight came down to my "good" ball lfight, the line came back to center, or slight draw and distance dramatically increased.

This is opposite of what I expected. Questions:

1) Is the above assumption correct?
    2) If so, could this be that I have what I preceive as hanging on to the club and not releasing it? I mean that if I hold the clubface through impact, the more forward the ball, the more it should go to the right. Correct?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    WARNING: I don't know what I'm talking about most likely.
    Is it possible that your wrists are breaking down and you're flicking instead of having them ahead of the ball at impact? I think that would cause you to open your face and increase your loft the further forward the ball is. I was hitting really high driver shots at the beginning of this season but its slowly been getting better as I work on keeping my wrist flat and just rolling over at impact.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I see you're having problems with your driver Reza. In that case, I challenge you to a match!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gap Wedge Houdini is on a distinguished road Houdini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    This question pertains mainly to the driver.

Yesterday, udring my round I found almost every ball to have a push-fade flight. The ball started to the right of the target on a straight line and tailed off to the right as it lost sped. Also the ball flight was high.

This is not my normal miss. I usually hit the ball straight, or if I am missing it, it is due to a variety of hook, pull hook, duck hook, off the planet hook and other types of hooks.

I thought I would move the ball forward in my stance in order to allow more time for the club release, in the hopes that I would bring the ball flight back to center.

But all it did was make the ball go higer and more right.

Today. at the range I did the same thing and had the same result. So I experimented with the opposite and moved the ball back to across from the logo on the left breat area of my shirt. Ball flight came down to my "good" ball lfight, the line came back to center, or slight draw and distance dramatically increased.

This is opposite of what I expected. Questions:

1) Is the above assumption correct?
    2) If so, could this be that I have what I preceive as hanging on to the club and not releasing it? I mean that if I hold the clubface through impact, the more forward the ball, the more it should go to the right. Correct?
    It went further right because your timing is out. Your arm rotation and speed is out of sink with your body. You body turn is out racing the arms any time that happens your hand path creates a push. If this fault is combined with ball position to far forward the body will rotate even faster than timing the arms/ hands meet the ball and you will hit a larger push.

keep it simple don't try to fix mechanics - fix your timing

rule of thumb if you are hooking your body is to slow and arms/hand are too fast

if you are slicing body is rotating prior to arms coming through

ball starting on the the target line arms match body speed

Sand Wedge colajoe is on a distinguished road
    Hmm interesting situation.

let me preface this with I too do not necessarily know what I am talking about.

While I agree with Houdini that timing could be the issue, I saw a recent video on you tube that talked more about swing plane and clubface angle. It was an interesting view might want to take a look and see if it helps.

WARNING: It is a very dry video. It also quite long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU&feature=related

Thread Information