CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge colajoe is on a distinguished road

Equipment Check-Up at KH

Hey all,

Anyone ever done the equipment check at Keven Haime's?

I am just looking to get an overall assessment of my equipment and what not and this looked like it would be a good all round review.

http://kevinhaime.com/shoponline/sea...p?cid=6&sid=18

Thoughts?

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    I've been fitted for all my clubs at KH, Greg Foley does a really good job and even gave me pointers on my swing. I'm a big believer in getting your clubs fitted/checked as it done wonders for me. Greg fitted me for a new driver last year and I'm just ecstatic with the way I'm hitting it. Also had my putter adjusted and my putting has improved drastically

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would lean toward getting Don at Artisan Golf do a fitting, I just think that Don specializes in this so he would be first on my list, no disrespect to the gents at KH.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

So basically I could go to one of these club fitters and they can asses my current sticks and let me know where I stand. Can they also do any adjustments that might be needed?

I know that I need new grips that's a given - shame on me for never changing them since I got them. UGH.

It's mainly my irons (Ping i3+) and wedges (Ping MB) that I am concerned with. Well that and maybe a fairway wood (Callaway 3 or 5 BB S2H2). Driver is good for now (FT-9 I-Mix Bassara Hawk).

You know you need to be concerned when you start launching a 9 iron 165, great flight. But really messed up my yardages in my head for each iron.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    Go to a Ping dealer and your adjustments are for free from Ping for the life of the clubs, I think Kevin's shop carries Ping.
    I think his fitting prices are very high and you may not need a full fitting, any Ping dealer can check the lie angles for you, as far as shafts go, if you want to hit them higher go with lighter and if you want to hit it lower go to heaver shafts.Most stock Ping shafts are on the light side to produce a higher ball flight. What are you looking for? If you hit a 7 iron 150 and it sticks on most greens I would say you have the right shaft.
    Iron shafts: KBS tour, very heavy and harsh feeling for the average guy need a higher swing speed to poduce best results.
    DG gold, heavy 120 to130 g great feel producing a lower ball flight easy to work the ball.
    Project X harsh feeling, higher ball flight for players with high swing speeds that want to take dead aim.
    Ping, TaylorMade and Callaway stock iron shafts are 75 to 80g producing higher ball flight and easy to work the ball with good feel..
    Before you get fitted see what type of ball flight you currently have and if you could what would you change. Check your divots are the even depth or deeper on one side.
    Its great to be fitted, providing you can repeat you golf swing over and over again, otherwise you may need lessons first, and the have your teacher fit you as he will have seen your swing over a period of time.
    Just my thoughts
    By the way I am a certified club fitter, even went to school and everything.
    Parbreaker04
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I would lean toward getting Don at Artisan Golf do a fitting, I just think that Don specializes in this so he would be first on my list, no disrespect to the gents at KH.
    Who would be second ?

Quote Originally Posted by parbreaker04 View Post
    Go to a Ping dealer and your adjustments are for free from Ping for the life of the clubs, I think Kevin's shop carries Ping.
    I think his fitting prices are very high and you may not need a full fitting, any Ping dealer can check the lie angles for you, as far as shafts go, if you want to hit them higher go with lighter and if you want to hit it lower go to heaver shafts.Most stock Ping shafts are on the light side to produce a higher ball flight. What are you looking for? If you hit a 7 iron 150 and it sticks on most greens I would say you have the right shaft.
    Iron shafts: KBS tour, very heavy and harsh feeling for the average guy need a higher swing speed to poduce best results.
    DG gold, heavy 120 to130 g great feel producing a lower ball flight easy to work the ball.
    Project X harsh feeling, higher ball flight for players with high swing speeds that want to take dead aim.
    Ping, TaylorMade and Callaway stock iron shafts are 75 to 80g producing higher ball flight and easy to work the ball with good feel..
    Before you get fitted see what type of ball flight you currently have and if you could what would you change. Check your divots are the even depth or deeper on one side.
    Its great to be fitted, providing you can repeat you golf swing over and over again, otherwise you may need lessons first, and the have your teacher fit you as he will have seen your swing over a period of time.
    Just my thoughts
    By the way I am a certified club fitter, even went to school and everything.
    Parbreaker04
    I beg to differ with your descriptions of the shafts mentioned. As a fitter, one should not categorize shafts based on what appears to be generalization. Also, a qualified fitter should never assume that a particular shaft is earmarked for certain types of golfers because evryone one has a different swing and different sense of feel.

He should also know that the most attributing factor to ball flight is head design. The shaft is a minor contributor but does contribute somewhat. It serves as a means to transfer the energy produced by the swing and relays a unique feel. Never the same feel for each individual golfer.

I've been in this buisiness for 13 yrs. and have come across many, many a golfer who's prescription for clubs was so far off from what is generally accepted as what this player should be using based on " fitting systems ". The fitter should be
    experienced enough to be able to spot this type of golfer and not rely on cookie cutter style fitting. He has to know how to change on the fly.

My 2 cents.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    I guess, I stand corrected, I have been at this for a long time as well, and when a player hits his 9 iron 165 yrds I would like to think that his lofts are strong and his shafts are too light, but that might not be the case.
    I don't know if you have hit the above mentioned shafts, I can assure I have,each player is different and shafts react differently. I generalized in my comments and gave an overview, I am not looking for business here are you?
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I take all information into account.

As for my launch, or rather ball flight, I have always had a very high flight, this comes from a more upright swing plane. Just something that I have felt comfortable with over the years.

I have always wondered whether or not I have too high a flight. I have been trying to work on a more traditional flight especially with my long irons. It's always funny when I hit a 4 iron and most folks look at it as if I had just hit a 9. Trajectory wise anyways. Distance is pretty good, but not as consistent as I would like.

As for shaft. TT DG S300 with an inch extension. (I have short arms for being 6ft1)

My clubs are also maroon dot which is quite upright as well, this could factor into everything obviously.

Thanks for the tip to take it to a Ping dealer for tweaking. I bought my clubs from KH originally, and I was fitted for them there. So I guess I could bring them back for another check. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by parbreaker04 View Post
    I guess, I stand corrected, I have been at this for a long time as well, and when a player hits his 9 iron 165 yrds I would like to think that his lofts are strong and his shafts are too light, but that might not be the case.
    I don't know if you have hit the above mentioned shafts, I can assure I have,each player is different and shafts react differently. I generalized in my comments and gave an overview, I am not looking for business here are you?
    Now, now dude. Was that last sentence called for ? You were doing just fine in your original post until you put in, " I am a fitter, went to school and ... " That is what prompted me to reply. I was attempting to add from my personal experiences and was careful not to single you out in my post.

In the future, try not to be so sensitive. The whole idea of a forum is the sharing of ideas, opinions and experiences.

Cheers !

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    I've been in this buisiness for 13 yrs. and have come across many, many a golfer who's prescription for clubs was so far off from what is generally accepted as what this player should be using based on " fitting systems ". The fitter should be experienced enough to be able to spot this type of golfer and not rely on cookie cutter style fitting. He has to know how to change on the fly.
    I agree Les, I had received a gift certificate for a free fitting a couple of years back and the fitter did the cookie cutter and I ended up getting clubs bent upright and cut way too short. Needless to say I had to sell the clubs. I still have the first set you made for me, they have been passed on to my nephew who is now ready for a new set. I hit them and they still felt great.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information