100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3puttpar

New Cameron Putter Real or Knock off ???

Can anyone help me with this question...

I have a new Cameron Studio Selec Newport 2. I have used one before (borrowed) but after using this putter it doesn't feel the same nor does the ball sound right when coming off the putter face.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I would take it in to GolfTown and compare it side by side with a real one. It's always hard to do the comparison from pictures and you would have a much better idea if you compared it to the real thing. That said, I am a bit suspicious about yours for a couple reasons. First of all, the Select Newports (and yours is a Newport, not an Newport 2) don't come with flangelines. Could've been added later, but that's a red flag off the top. Secondly, the engraving on the face looks off to me. The dots look too small and too far apart, and also misaligned over the 'Cameron' script. Also the font on the 'Cameron' looks a bit thin. Again, it's hard to tell without a real one sitting here, but that would be easy to compare with a real one at GT.

Another test you might want to try is to see if a magnet sticks to it. A real select is stainless steel and non-magnetic. Often times fake selects are made from carbon steel, which is magnetic.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I too fear that it is not real. It looks like the sole says newport 2 but it has rounded bumpers of a Newport. Newports do not have sight lines.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginker View Post
    I too fear that it is not real. It looks like the sole says newport 2 but it has rounded bumpers of a Newport. Newports do not have sight lines.
    Not sure how I missed that one. That's obviously a clincher. It is definitely a Newport head shape not a Newport 2.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    And aren't the real Scotty h/cs made at a 90* angle or less at the crease? This one is obviously more than 90*.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3puttpar

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I tried the magnet test and well it doesn't stick to it.

Secondly I looked at the scotty cameron website and found huge discrepancies with the engraving on the face.

The E in Cameron is smaller than the rest of the letters and as you guys had mentioned.... the dots are way too far apart.

So now for the last test at GT. Even though I'm pretty sure it's a fake.

Thanks again.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Where did you get this putter from? Local sale? I think its just aweful the amount of fakes out there. Good luck at GT.
    "Get your smile on!"

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    That is definitely fake. Too bad. Very discouraging the amount of fake Scotty's out there.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    And that's why you don't buy from anyone that isn't an authorized Titleist/Scotty dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    And that's why you don't buy from anyone that isn't an authorized Titleist/Scotty dealer.
    You can get them from other sources, just make sure you know who and what you're dealing with. Do your homework.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Man I hate it when people get burned like this, everything about that putter screams fake. Contact Titleist and report the person who sold it to you. Acushnet/Titleist take this very seriously indeed. If it came off ebay, then report the fake item to ebay & paypal and you should hopefully be able to get your money back.

If anyone is looking to buy a Cameron putter, ask some questions on here or other forums before you buy. There is lots of info out there and way more good guys than rip-off artists. Check out the cameron section here, or TCC, Putter Talk, GolfWrx the guys on all of these forums know the putters and what to look for to spot a fake.

Spackler is right, there are a ton of great guys buying and selling legit Camerons right here on this forum. I dont recall ever seeing a fake Cameron being listed on here, TCC, Putter talk or GolfWrx.

I feel for you. Hopefully you will get refunded and the seller will get whats due to him!

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    Big time fake.....

3puttpar
    Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the knowledge and discussions on here.

The putter wasn't mine and the purchaser didn't pay much for it.

I think he bought it off a web site in China..... So that should have said it all

Thanks again everyone, it's great to see people taking the time and having the interest to inform the community when needed.

5 Wood par72 is on a distinguished road par72's Avatar
    Toronto, former and often back Ottawanian
    Definitely fake....but depending on how it feels and what it costs not necessarily a bad buy...
    Fairways and Greens!

Bill Wood
    That's really too bad 3putt. Your putter just doesn't look right. I'm looking for a Scotty at the moment and only buying from Ottawa members, or members on TGN. I'm shopping for a 1.5 newport and there's not many around. I've been doing some homework and the best advice I can give you is to stay off Ebay, and try the www.cameroncollector.com site. It's interesting and can give you lots of tips. Sorry about the buy - but with anything collectable, copies will always inevitably happen. Good luck on your next Scotty. I'm still looking for mine.
    -Bill-

Sand Wedge hack99 is on a distinguished road

Re Scotty Cameron

I would say it's a fake compared to mine the CAMERON under the 3 dots on the face don't match up and the headcover seems to be to shiny and my serial # is further up the shaft .. Sorry I would contact seller and ask for my money back if he dosen't tell him you will report to Scotty Cameron I have attached their web site for reporting Fake Camerons .... Hope this Helps

http://www.scottycameron.com/counterfeitreport.aspx

Thread Information