100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Rank the best greens in the region

Rank the best greens you've played in the Ottawa region recently. To me, "Best Greens" means the ball rolls true without bouncing around, the grass is short and allows the ball to run fast, and the greens have enough undulations to make them a challenge.

I've played 11 courses this year and here's how I rank the greens:

1. Loch March
    2. Hautes Plaines
    3. Greensmere
    4. Stonebridge
    5. Le Sorcier
    6. Manderley
    7. Les Vieux Moulins
    8. Meadows
    9. Oaks of Cobden
    10. Falcon Ridge
    11. Champlain (It was March when I played so I'll give them a pass).

I'd love to try Outaouais, Greyhawk, Eagle Creek, and Hunt Club this year to see how they measure up to Loch March.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Loch March, Outaouais, Casselview, Stonebridge, Sorcier

You do really need to add Outaouais and Casselview to your list since they're easily playable. The other ones you mentioned maybe not so much

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    As of two weeks ago, Eagle Creek had the best greens I've seen, ever, on any course. The only ones I would put in the same category would be the greens at Cornwall during their annual Open tournament and some of the greens I've seen in Arizona a couple of years ago.

Next bunch would be Loch March, Outaouais, Marshes, Montebello and Renfrew. Outstanding.

After that, Stonebridge, Equinelle (yes, even though they're new), Casselview, Cloverdale (even though they're slow). Very good.

After that it's basically a wash. This year has been pretty good in terms of course conditions, including the greens, so I don't remember any really bad greens. Meadows has been somewhat of a disappointment, pretty hairy greens, I remember them being better than that a few years back.

Haven't played Canadian, Greensmere, Emerald Links or any other ClubLink courses yet, they usually have good greens. Probably forgetting a few usual suspects too...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Hunt Club

5 Iron Tbone is on a distinguished road Tbone's Avatar
    No contest
    Rideau View

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Rivermead, Hunt Club, Royal Ottawa, Eagle Creek...the first 3 are a really close call to me.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Best greens I have played on in no particular order because they were all excellent

Montebello (I loved those greens, fast true and very tricky), Greyhawk (both courses), Haute Plaines, Camelot

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    kanata hands down.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Hylands has the best greens I've played this year.

Gap Wedge pmar88 is on a distinguished road pmar88's Avatar
    Raceview, Falcon Ridge, Pineview, and Capital hands down.

Pitching Wedge khali127 is on a distinguished road khali127's Avatar
    1. Eagle Creek (by far)

big gap in quality here...

2. Outaouais (early in season but they were good then so..)
    3. Marshes
    4. Renfrew (early in season again)
    5. Le Sorcier

another gap or drop in quality...

6. Edelweiss
    7. Falcon Ridge
    8. Chateau Cartier

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Carleton, Rideau View and Hunt Club. Haven't played Eagle Creek this year, but would assume that they are close.

5 Iron Seak69 is on a distinguished road Seak69's Avatar
    Hylands

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Haven't played Eagle Creek since it went CL but I assume it has great greens. Of the courses I've played this year, Loch March hands down.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    Rivermead, Hunt Club, Royal Ottawa, Eagle Creek...the first 3 are a really close call to me.
    I'd have to say these are probably the best I've played this year. I suppose people are rating the best greens for public courses.

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    Rivermead, Hunt Club, Royal Ottawa, Eagle Creek...

I'd have to say these are probably the best I've played this year. I suppose people are rating the best greens for public courses.
    I'll rate the private courses when you invite me to play with you Brian.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    just got back from equinelle and other than the greens being a little firm, from a putting perspective, I would be hard pressed to find anything better. They roll as good as greens can roll, no bumps, etc. and true as can be. All this and the course is not even a year old.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

andrew_s_elliot
    Packenham deserves to be on that list. Greens are very firm but rolling very smooth and true since the start of may...

Greensmere, yes, but the new 18 are terrible and I wouldn't even consider them playable at this point...

Vieux Moulins are rolling great as well...very fast 2 weekends ago...

Unsure that Manderley belongs on any top 10 list in the area...

1. Hunt Club
    2. Loch March
    3. Outaouais
    4. Packenham
    5. Greensmere (old 18)
    6. Prescott
    7. Le Sorcier (almost too firm to hold though)
    8. Marshes
    9. Emerald Links
    10.Stonebridge

I haven't played Eagle Creek since they closed to the public, but I assume it would be top-3. I must admit, I have been quite disappointed with the Marshes greens...too many tourneys perhaps?

Pitching Wedge Leejanzen is on a distinguished road
    Before this crazy heat wave, I played Gatineau Golf course and the greens (outside of one with a tiny patch of sand) were like astroturf. My buddy literally had to crounch down and touch them to confirm they were real grass. They were just about the best I've ever played. I've played it since and they're still very good but the sun has certainly affected them a bit.

Sorcier rolled very true when I was there. It was early in the season and they weren't quite as fast as I expected but they were consistent.

I've played a few other rounds this year but nothing has stood out as especially good.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    just got back from equinelle and other than the greens being a little firm, from a putting perspective, I would be hard pressed to find anything better. They roll as good as greens can roll, no bumps, etc. and true as can be. All this and the course is not even a year old.
    Agreed. If you find the line and speed, the ball will go in. No bumps, divots, dry spots to speak of. Nothing to divert the ball in any way. They were pratically flawless.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I play most of my rounds at Metcalfe, the greens leave a little to be desired, roll pretty true, but are just slow, and burnt after that heat wave.

I am playing Eagle Creek tonight, assuming they will be the best greens I have played this year.

I was impressed with Cassellview, true roll, not to fast or slow (considering the price I paid to play was dirt cheap in the late afternoon),

Haute Plains had nice greens as well.

I see a few people have falcon ridge listed, I have only played their once 2 years ago and was not overly impressed so have not gone back, is the course in good shape this year, should I give it a second look?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Depends how big your "region" is. Mine includes Smuggler's Glen. IMO, their greens are the best in Eastern Ontario, including any private course around.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Depends how big your "region" is. Mine includes Smuggler's Glen. IMO, their greens are the best in Eastern Ontario, including any private course around.
    I was a bit disappointed with their greens. Lots of ballmarks which is pretty typical of a resort course with lots of public play.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I was a bit disappointed with their greens. Lots of ballmarks which is pretty typical of a resort course with lots of public play.
    i found them definetely ok, but no where near the quality of EC, Kanata or even Hautes Plaines, I agree they looked amazing, but didnt quite roll the same as they looked.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    i found them definetely ok, but no where near the quality of EC, Kanata or even Hautes Plaines, I agree they looked amazing, but didnt quite roll the same as they looked.
    i agree with you. I played them 10 days apart and I give HP the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcee View Post
    I see a few people have falcon ridge listed, I have only played their once 2 years ago and was not overly impressed so have not gone back, is the course in good shape this year, should I give it a second look?
    of the 11 courses i've played, i put F.R. as 10th. I'm not saying it's top 10 in the region lol. same goes for Manderley being #6 on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_s_elliot View Post
    Unsure that Manderley belongs on any top 10 list in the area...

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    ahh I miss Le Dome(Hautes Plaines), don't get to play it much anymore...those greens were flawless and fast.....definately my favorite challenge.. I really thought those greens rolled a 9 or 9.5 on Stimpmeter...they are still fast?

as far as courses I've played recently, Loch March is always the best to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHitta View Post
    ahh I miss Le Dome(Hautes Plaines), don't get to play it much anymore...those greens were flawless and fast.....definately my favorite challenge.. I really thought those greens rolled a 9 or 9.5 on Stimpmeter...they are still fast?

as far as courses I've played recently, Loch March is always the best to me.
    they were probably faster then that 2 weeks ago, send me a pm if u ever wanna play it again, course is almost flawless.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    Getting a bit off topic, I played Haute Plaines for the first time a couple weeks ago, played like crap, but what a nice course, greens were in great shape and tough - no gimmies there, and to top it off the green fees for guests were fantastic for club link standards (I think I paid $55 bucks on a Saturday morning).

Getting a bit off topic, I played Haute Plaines for the first time a couple weeks ago, played like crap, but what a nice course, greens were in great shape and tough - no gimmies there, and to top it off the green fees for guests were fantastic for club link standards (I think I paid $55 bucks on a Saturday morning).
    I thought I was joining that course purely based on price being the cheapest clublink course in Ottawa, boy was I wrong, course is near immaculate, some of the fastest greens in the city, every hole as a danger area where you absolutely cant miss, the only part that bugs me is I cant get into a rythm with my driver only hitting it on 3 holes, thats my only beef. The atmosphere there is great, lots of good players absolutely love that course.

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    $55 for guests?? lets go!!
    The course is just a beauty, staff is great...and it's true, every hole has a challenge. I'm definately going to schedule a visit soon then.

Thread Information