CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Jayuqo is on a distinguished road

How to pick the right wedges?

I'm thinking about changing my wedges but I just don't know which ones to pick. I really don't see myself going to golftown and chip in the screen since it won't give me a "real" chip shot (i.e. from thick rough for example). So my question is, how can you determine that a wedge is right for you?

Thanks

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Are you a member at a specific course, or do you play as a green fee player? Picking the right set of wedges is not as difficult as you think.

First off, loft isn't that hard to decide. Are you a longer hitter, or would you like a little more distance with your wedges? If you hit your clubs a fair piece, a 52/56/60 set up would probably suffice for you. If you want to try and squeeze a bit more yardage out, 50/54/58 would be the way to go. You can always tinker with lies to get the yardage gaps you desire.

I asked if you are a member because in that case you would be playing, generally, in the same conditions most of the time. If you play a course that has tight lies around the greens, not very deep rough and harder bunkers you'll want wedges with less bounce. But if your fairways are a bit thicker and softer, taller rough and soft sanded bunkers, more bounce is the way to go.

If you are a green fee player and play a variety of course, then you'll have to mix and match your bounce angles on each wedge to match up the more prominent conditions you'll encounter on the courses you play.

Hope this helps.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Or you could go the BigJohnny route, and simply try every wedge ever made until you find the right ones.

Just messing with you G.

I was reading an article on ClubSG which suggested somehow that with the new groove rule, the 64 degree wedge is dead. Not sure I agree with it, but it was interesting.
    Andrew

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I was reading an article on ClubSG which suggested somehow that with the new groove rule, the 64 degree wedge is dead. Not sure I agree with it, but it was interesting.
    Why?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Why?
    This was the meat of his (Terry Koehler, of Eidelon Wedges) argument:

" What we did notice, and have measured, is the fact that a slightly lower loft actually generates more spin with the new grooves. That’s because as loft increases, the ball tends to slide up the face more than with current grooves and their sharp edges. So, we found our test golfers actually getting better spin with wedges in the 56-60 degree range than with those of 62-64 degrees"
    Andrew

Thread Information