CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jr. age limit

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road

Jr. age limit

My son has been playing golf since the age of 4. Last year at the age of 6, the Madawawska granted him a membership after seeing him hit the green with his tee shot on the first hole of the ecex. course and whatching him chip and putt on the practice green. They have an age limit of 10 for jr. memberships.The only stipulation that he be accompanied buy an adult while on the course. I assume they did this because they did not want to be responsible for his safety. Fair enough, because alot of the jrs. get dropped off for the day.

Yesterday, I had booked a time at #$%R%% golf course. When we were booking in at the pro shop, buddy asks my son how old he is. Jake says 7. Buddy proceeds to tell me that they can't allow him on the course for insurance purposes !!! Then tells me all courses follow this rule.

After explaining to him that we have played here twice already this season and nothing was mentioned about this policy, the solution Buddy came up with was that in the future tell your son when he is asked his age, to say that he's 8 !!

DUHH !!!

Any comments.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I don't understand that rule? Even so, wasn't it take a kid to the course week anyways?
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Just to clarify, was this round at Madawaska, or elsewhere?

If it was elsewhere, I must say, you should have been prepared for this possibility. Just last year you had to get a special exemption to have your son get a membership, because he did not meet the minimum age of 10 yrs old. Given that, it seems a bit presumptuous to expect that other courses would allow him on.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post

If it was elsewhere, I must say, you should have been prepared for this possibility. Just last year you had to get a special exemption to have your son get a membership, because he did not meet the minimum age of 10 yrs old. Given that, it seems a bit presumptuous to expect that other courses would allow him on.
    actually it doesn't seeing as they had played there 2 times already that year.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    That's too bad. There are some crazy rules and regs out there.
    What burns my britches about the whole junior thing is how some courses have a junior age limit of 14 or 15. After this you're considered an adult? Crazy. Talk about a way to turn off a paying parent. Then on the other hand there are courses like the one that I'm a member at that you are a Juvenile until 15 and then a junior until 18. And you can be a "student" until 25, with an ID card. Very smart. This sure keeps me and my son happy.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    actually it doesn't seeing as they had played there 2 times already that year.
    Fair enough, but it's possible the person who let you on earlier in the year wasn't supposed to. The guy who didn't let you on was just doing his job which, admittedly, was made much more awkward by the fact his colleague had not done so previously.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Fair enough, but it's possible the person who let you on earlier in the year wasn't supposed to. The guy who didn't let you on was just doing his job which, admittedly, was made much more awkward by the fact his colleague had not done so previously.
    right...so I don't see how that is being presumptious.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Dude, my son has been playing on golf courses all over the continent for 3 years. There was one course in Florida that had one srtict rule for a lad his age. Are you ready for it ?? He was not allowed to drive the golf cart anywhere near the clubhouse ! Where do you come up the ideaology that I should have been prepared for that posibility!

Presumptuous, no. Mind boggled, yes.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    I know I had to wait until I was 8 to start playing. I believe that's pretty common. It's likely the case that the employee was unaware that you and your son had played there twice this summer, or perhaps forgot. In any case, the rules are what they are, and the employee was doing his job, and you can't blame him for that.

Going forward, I would phone ahead to obtain clearance before making the trek to the course.

Quote Originally Posted by SGH View Post
    I know I had to wait until I was 8 to start playing. I believe that's pretty common. It's likely the case that the employee was unaware that you and your son had played there twice this summer, or perhaps forgot. In any case, the rules are what they are, and the employee was doing his job, and you can't blame him for that.

Going forward, I would phone ahead to obtain clearance before making the trek to the course.
    Allow me to clarify. Dude was a weekend only employee. Dude told me that ALL courses have this rule.

What would prompt dude to sudgest I lie about my son's age after basiclly chewing me out in front of 4 other people.

Dude knew my son's age and allowed him on the course after all.

I felt like I was dealing with one of the of the oh so many friendly and courtious marshalls that adorn some of the area courses.

In a nutshell, I was just wondering if this particular rule is gospel and if anyone knows of it because according to dude, it's a no no everywhere.

Thread Information