100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood wboudrea is on a distinguished road wboudrea's Avatar

Getting Kids Started

Thanks to 'The Saint' I have got a set of junior clubs which I want to use to take my nephew who is 7 out to play. I will be heading out to the range with him but I am wondering where to start. Do you show him a proper grip and then let him swing away? I obviously want this to be fun so I am wondering what you guys and gals have done with your yougsters to get them introduced to this game without them getting frustrated. Thanks for the help.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-#99

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Lob Wedge Samba-Jane is on a distinguished road
    i also wanted my kid started next spring and i want to make it fun for her. not sure if i want to get her started with a instructor right away or just let her play with the clubs on the range first.
    [URL="http://www.SambaDays.com"]SambaDays.com[/URL]

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    1. show them a good grip
    2. pose them in a good backswing and finish position and they will figure out the rest

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    OAC has a great program for kids indoor right now

Come spring they will be well trained in the basics...

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar
    Started my two at around that age. Both became golf nuts

Range time is fun but to get out on the course is the best time you will have and the following are some tips that were usefule to me and provided by a Pro I knew.

Some range time but not to much as it will be a slippery slope to turning it into a lesson session.

Discussion about etiquette and safety. At 7 they will understand as long as they know why you do the things you are supposed to.

Started them on a 9 hole course and would play a quick loop of three to 5 holes. Late in the day is great as there is no one rushing you. So many courses offer take a kid to the course for free it excellent.

I made them walk and carry their own clubs. They feel like a real golfer then. They only had four clubs. Driver, mid iron, wedge and putter.

For the latter 2 points if they are having fun they will walk a hundred miles. If they got tired and we had to walk back i would let them ballhawk.

Had them tee off from the 100s. so you play your ball then they tee off from the 100's or even from further in. if no one was behind us extended putting on the greens.

As for instruction , Kids are great copy cats so they will get it. They both started with baseball style/10 finger grips which made it easier. The only advice i gave was the same as us a version of hit down on the ball to get it up in the air.

I avoided instruction but gave lots of encouragement. Easier said then done. Just drink ots of beer.

As for which way a player swings; i was also told that it is how they swing a baseball bat not shoot a hockey stick to determine which way they swing.

Spent a whole summer doing this and rarely played 18. That was one of the best summers I had

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Kids & Lessons

My kids are in their early thirties now, but when they were younger I took them to a local course and gave them the basics. We had fun because I did NOT try to instruct them. Did the usual stuff, only so many swings, tee it up in the fairway until they could get it in the air themselves and lots of putting play. Now that I have grand-kids I'll encourage their parents to get them into some sort of camp with a reputable program, such as the OAC (or many others). My philosophy about "lessons" for anything, whether driving, golf, etc, is to let the pros teach and then work with them to practice. I find that if you get the person to tell/show you what the pro wants them to do it will avoid the situation where YOU are always telling them what to do and give the student some ownership of the process. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    1. show them a good grip
    2. pose them in a good backswing and finish position and they will figure out the rest
    +1 - I believe it's the Rideau View junior program that teaches grip and the proper finish position - hands above shoulder, belt buckle facing target, weight on forward foot. Once the kids can do this in a practice swing, they get a ball to hit...

Also, they're great copy cats, show them slo-mo's on TV or you tube.

I've followed this concept with my 8-years-old son. He's not a prodigy, but he hits some good shots and loves the game.

Lob Wedge Samba-Jane is on a distinguished road
    thanks!!!
    sounds like a lot of fun times ahead... looking forward to spring
    [URL="http://www.SambaDays.com"]SambaDays.com[/URL]

Thread Information