+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Bob Probert

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

RIP Bob Probert

I loved watching him play, such a physical beast, but not one dimensional at all. I think he had at least a couple seasons where he scored 20+ goals. I met him a few times back when I was in university, his mom worked at the same office I did in the summer (Adam Graves' mom actually worked there too). He would come into the office a fair amount and while he was there to see his mom, he always came around and said hello to everyone. I know he had his demons, but he seemed like a really good guy. And you have to like someone who, at the height of their fame, still made time to come in and check in on his mom so often. RIP Probie, only 45.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326672

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Incredible talent, sort of like the John Daly of golf, can punish, but a nice scoring touch too, but tormented in a public way for too long

RIP
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Only 45 as well, leaves a wife and four children. RIP Mr Probert, I enjoyed watching you play.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    sort of like the John Daly of golf
    Not that they can be compared, but I like your analogy.

I'm going to date myself, but among my favourite memories of university (of those I can remember) were watching Don Cherry's half hour show that came on Saturday mornings at 11am, and it always featured plenty of Probert scraps. Cherry has always been one of Probie's biggest supporters.

I also remember Probert vs. Domi 'the rematch' that got more hype than a heavyweight boxing match. I still have it on VHS, along with a cilip of Probert singing 'All I Want for Christams Is My Two Front Teeth'. Classic.

Anyone remember those shirts : "Give blood, fight Probert"?

Despite all the fond memories we as fans have, a wife and four kids left behind is pretty sad indeed.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 07-05-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Bob Probert seemed like a hell of a guy to have as a teammate. He will be missed.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    One of my favorite players. Tough guy...sneaky goal scorer. Miss the fights between him and Dummy.....uhh...domi

All my best to his family.......RIP big guy.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    One of my favourite players too. His legacy is to remind us that there are players like him who can score & should be allowed to!
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road

Bob Probert

I became a Red Wings fan in 1989 , I have to admit I grew up a Habs fan having lived in Montreal. Anyways I was living in Winnipeg in 89' and went to a Wings - Jets game. Wings won ( I think it was 5 -2 ) and the line of Probert - Yzerman - Gallant was outstanding. Stevie Y had 4 pts , Probert patrolled the wing ( don't recall if he went with Shane Cronin that night ) and Gallant smacked every Jet in sight. That was it , I switched allegiance from that day on, what a line ( & that was when Bob P was not in his prime ). I am still a Wings supported to this day ( but I can't stand the fact they don't have any more players like Probert , Gallant , Kocur , McCarty out there to keep things in check )

I do recall that Probert had a knack for not starting strong in his scraps , almost like he really was not mad enough to go but once he took a couple on the button and you ** him off well ...game over.

I like the John Daly analogy.

Thread Information