CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Who will be #1 on Monday?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woods

14 51.85%
  • Singh

11 40.74%
  • Els

2 7.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    I say VJ takes it over #1 today and will be on the cover on Sports Illustrated this week!
    GO TIGER GO

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    It's official, VJ is the new #1!!! Good for him and good for golf.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    It's a sad, sad day in golf when VJ Singh ( Mister personality, note the sarcasm ) is number 1 in the world!!!

Let's go Tiger, Ernie & Phil get rid of this bumb!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    VJ is rightfully #1 after having bagged himself a Tiger.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl
    It's a sad, sad day in golf when VJ Singh ( Mister personality, note the sarcasm ) is number 1 in the world!!!
    Let's go Tiger, Ernie & Phil get rid of this bumb!
    VJ is now the number 1 ranked player in the world because he earned it the old fashioned way. If I recall correctly, the mathematical formula for determining world ranking does not include points for being "Mr. Personality," nor does it take points away from a player for the poor etiquette that Tiger showed when he walked off the green on #13 before VJ had a chance to putt out, and had the noisy gallery follow him. It would have been more appropriate for the Pied Piper to wait until VJ had finished.

If you have read any books on the mental part of the game of golf, you will have read that it is strongly suggested that a golfer get neither too high after a good shot, nor too low after a poor one. That's VJ.

If you watched you will also have noticed that the gallery was almost silent for VJ's good shots, and quite voiciferous for Tiger's mediocre ones. In fact, when VJ made a birdie near the end of the round, (#16?), there were actually some boos from the gallery. How do expect him to react when 99% of the gallery are pro Tiger? Just like the mature gentleman did. Non plussed. Part of VJ's motivation to play well is knowing that most are against his winning. This takes a heap more mental toughness and focus, than Tiger has.

Somehow though, in calling the best player in the world a bum, I can just hear you booing, too. Your "Mr. Personality" award went to wrong person.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Weazl

Too bad for you and the rest of Tiger lovers. You are dead wrong and you know it. The hardest part is admiting it. At least the rest of the golf world will accept the facts as they are. Tiger is NOT number 1, nor should he have been at any time this year. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling VJ a bum. At no time has anyone ever called Tiger a bum because he was wrongfully No. 1 in the world. At no time did any of us take away what Tiger has done for golf. At no time did we ever question Tiger's abilities as a golfer. That is sad. :shake

Congrats VJ on what is a great day in golf.

Farzin / Andru ................ I'm waiting for your congradulatory comments to our new NO. 1 in the world. The best golfer in the world today is VJ Singh!!!
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I am not a VJ fan, nor am I a Tiger fan. However, I want the best golfer to be ranked appropriately. I missed the golf, as I was golfing, but according to BC Mists's description, Tiger couldn't beat him on the course, so tried what he could to throw VJ off including walking off the green so the gallery would follow. Sad.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

I Am A Tiger Fan!!!

I’m sorry but VJ did the same this to Tiger by walking to the next tee when Tiger was putting for bogie on 14th.

I love to see Tiger play but I will admit that VJ is #1 as he should be. Hats off to VJ. Bad sportsmanship from the American crowd. I was cheering for Tiger but not booing VJ. That is sad as much as Tiger basher are!! :shake

Now lets see who will challenge VJ!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Weazl

Too bad for you and the rest of Tiger lovers. You are dead wrong and you know it. The hardest part is admiting it. At least the rest of the golf world will accept the facts as they are. Tiger is NOT number 1, nor should he have been at any time this year. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling VJ a bum. At no time has anyone ever called Tiger a bum because he was wrongfully No. 1 in the world. At no time did any of us take away what Tiger has done for golf. At no time did we ever question Tiger's abilities as a golfer. That is sad. :shake

Congrats VJ on what is a great day in golf.

Farzin / Andru ................ I'm waiting for your congradulatory comments to our new NO. 1 in the world. The best golfer in the world today is VJ Singh!!!
    Vj is the number one golfer in the world. When did I ever say he wouldn't be if he earned it. Never.

Second. I'm not being drawn into this adolesent exchange about people I don't really know. For the record. and actually it's on record. I've said I like VJ I was impressed with his demeanour at the PGA Chmpionship last year and I'm impressed with his work and dedication to earning number one spot.

Like I said Tiger earned the number one spot. There's NO "He shouldn't be number one" He doesn't deserve number one" Tiger got to number one for a record amount of weeks. Following the rules. and VJ is now number one by following those same rules. You guys wanted to change the rules to "Help" someone take over the number one spot.

Just a side note. He's a dandy about "Precious", "Super Role Model" "Smiling" Phil Michelson. Kind of sounds little like Ottawa's favourite son. Alexei Yashin. This is priceless. "I'm a major winner now. I WANT MORE MONEY!!!!!"

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...4&select=14221

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Too bad for you and the rest of Tiger lovers. You are dead wrong and you know it. The hardest part is admiting it.
    Thats not fair. I accept the facts. VJ is #1. I wish he wasn't, but there you go. I'd rather it be Ernie or Phil, or anyone who doesn't bad mouth Annika Sorenstam or any other golfer.

On the flip side, in response to BC MIST and his issue about proper behaviour for a golfer, I'd like to remind all of you that VJ Singh had a controversy on the asian tour. Before I hear a bunch of "Oh come on now, thats in the past", the most reprehensible and unforgiveable thing a golfer can do is cheat, and for all Tiger's downfalls, I've never seen him do that.

Can Mr. Singh say the same? I doubt it.

That said, congratulations on your new hero. Time to pick him apart too !

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    That said, congratulations on your new hero!
    I will admit that VJ is #1 as he should be. Hats off to VJ.
    At least you guys are man enough to admit it.

Farzin ........... what's your excuse??? :shake
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmania
    Thats not fair. I accept the facts. VJ is #1. I wish he wasn't, but there you go. I'd rather it be Ernie or Phil, or anyone who doesn't bad mouth Annika Sorenstam or any other golfer.

On the flip side, in response to BC MIST and his issue about proper behaviour for a golfer, I'd like to remind all of you that VJ Singh had a controversy on the asian tour. Before I hear a bunch of "Oh come on now, thats in the past", the most reprehensible and unforgiveable thing a golfer can do is cheat, and for all Tiger's downfalls, I've never seen him do that.

Can Mr. Singh say the same? I doubt it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am not a VJ fan, and the two reasons you quote above are big factors in that. I can't denounce his hard work ethics of the last few years, there's just something about him that I don't like. Like Davis Love's beady eyes. Tiger's attitude, and now Mickelson has gotten greedy. All petty things, but it's my choice who I cheer for. There are still some good guys out there. Furyk, Faxon and of course Mike Weir, when he decides to play.

Tiger had a good run, congratulations to him. His amazing cut streak is also still going. Which just goes to show you that if Tiger ever figured out what is wrong, he could dominate again as he is doing pretty well with a 'B' game today.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Like Golf Digest put it a few months ago....

Who loves ya Vijay????
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

On the flip side, in response to BC MIST and his issue about proper behaviour for a golfer, I'd like to remind all of you that VJ Singh had a controversy on the asian tour. Before I hear a bunch of "Oh come on now, thats in the past", the most reprehensible and unforgiveable thing a golfer can do is cheat, and for all Tiger's downfalls, I've never seen him do that
    For VJ's apparent cheating in Asia and comments about Annika he was appropriately punished and vilified in the press, and deservedly so. However, one only needs to be just a little objective to see that VJ is te best player in the world right now and how they both played yesterday is just a snapshot of what has been going on for well over a year.

VJ drives the ball better, putts better and his irons are better. Tiger's short game is superb and if it were not for his good putting he would have lost his #1 status a long time ago.

Watching them play head to head yesterday was exciting. If Tiger would tighten a few nuts in his wrists at the top of his swing when he uses his driver he would be playing fewer shots from the right rough/trees, and the race to regain the #1 ranking could be an exciting one to watch.

BTW: If Weazl calls VJ "Mr. Personality" I wonder what he would have called the caustic "Wee Ice Mon."

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Cheating in Asia BC Mist? I never heard that story?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    LOL!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Granted VJ is a good golfer, I never said otherwise. I simply stated I disliked his personality on, and off the course. I'm no Tiger lover, I respect him for what he has done thus far in his career but a s a Canadian, and a lefty I'm a Weirsy fan all the way baby!!!!!

Go get em Mikey!!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Cheating in Asia BC Mist? I never heard that story?
    Its an old old story. He was on the Asia Tour before becoming BIG and was banned. The "story" goes (and only VJ and those who were there know if its true or not) was that he falsified a scorecard to make the cut into the weekend, was caught, and barred.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    For VJ's apparent cheating in Asia and comments about Annika he was appropriately punished and vilified in the press, and deservedly so. However, one only needs to be just a little objective to see that VJ is te best player in the world right now and how they both played yesterday is just a snapshot of what has been going on for well over a year.
    Sure, without argument, VJ Singh is the better golfer...today. If we are solely going to judge both these men for their golf alone, so be it. I question how ANY OF US would behave if: we were #1 in a field, we had media and fans constantly around us, and we were constantly told how great we are.

While Tiger showed poor sportsmanship, VJ's "apparent" cheating goes down as a worse crime, never to be forgotten.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

VJ and the Asian incident

All of this talk about VJ and allegations of cheating tweaked my curiousity. Never having heard of this before, I looked it up on the Net. Here is a copy of an article that I located from the St Petersburg Times.
    Singh has his game 'in tune'

Improved putting was the key to his '00 Masters win. His '01 results show his confidence in every facet.
    By BOB HARIG

© St. Petersburg Times, published April 3, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- The longest and most satisfying day of his life was near its conclusion, and the early morning cold of some 15 hours earlier was already a distant memory.

Vijay Singh had held off some of the game's best, including Tiger Woods, Ernie Els and David Duval, to win the Masters, a sweet victory.

As he savored it, Singh could not help but think of the irony: For all his talents in striking a golf ball, he always had been frustrated on the greens, and Augusta National was no place to conquer those demons. At least that was the prevalent theory.

So when he walked out of the Augusta National clubhouse late Sunday a year ago, a green jacket draped over his shoulders and a second major championship on his resume, Singh bellowed to no one in particular: "Kiss my a--, everybody."

A reporter happened to be following. The quotation ran in newspapers and magazines, and many assumed Singh was talking about Augusta National.

Once again, Singh saw himself as misunderstood.

And for a man from Fiji who has traveled the globe chasing his golf dream, who once was exiled to the rain forests of Borneo after being accused of cheating at a tournament, this was a common occurrence.

To set the record straight: Singh's off-the-cuff outburst said in the company of his agent, Clarke Jones, was directed at an unnamed soul who had dared to suggest that Singh could never handle the treacherous greens of Augusta National.

Despite hitting the ball a mile and possessing a brilliant iron game, Singh was considered too inconsistent with the putter to be a factor at the Masters. He said that was once the case.

"Augusta's greens are so severe that if you're not a good putter, you're not going to win," he said.

But Singh got a change in attitude. A change in putting styles didn't hurt, either. Having already gone to a cross-handed grip, Singh switched putters a month before last year's Masters.

Now he uses a medium-length putter that has helped him climb to third on the PGA Tour in putting average. He enters the Masters having finished in the top four in four consecutive tour events, and he posted two victories in Asia. If there were ever a threat to Tiger Woods' dominance, Singh is it.

"I think I'm playing pretty solid right now," said Singh, who finished second to Woods by a stroke at the Players Championship. "I think my whole game is coming around. I'm hitting a lot of good shots off the tees, fairways, putting well. I think the whole game is in tune right now."

Singh, 38, seemingly has spent his life tuning his game. He learned golf from his father, an airplane technician at the airport that sat between his house and a golf club in Fiji. He won his first pro tournament at 21, the Malaysian PGA Championship.

A year later, however, Singh found himself in exile after being accused of cheating at the Indonesian Open. The tournament director ruled that Singh improved his score by one shot before signing his card. Singh maintains there was a misunderstanding. The son of a prominent Indonesian was keeping his card, Singh said, and "for me to say the kid made a mistake, that was wrong, well, you just didn't do that," he told Golf Digest. "I still haven't seen that scorecard. If I changed a number, show me." Nonetheless, Singh was indefinitely suspended from the Asian Tour. And the cloud hovered over him for years.

The suspension was never lifted, and Singh had to find a way to survive. That's when he took a series of club pro jobs in Borneo in the South Pacific.

When he was the resident pro at Keningau Club in the rain forests, Singh and his wife, Ardena, lived in a small one-bedroom apartment. They had to fetch water from a well. Air conditioning was spotty despite 100-degree temperatures. And Singh was paid minimum wage, plus $10 per lesson. Between lessons, Singh spent his waking hours pounding balls in the sun.

"I was trying to think about what I'm going to do next," he said. "That was the lowest point."

Singh has often told the story of how he would gamble -- without his wife's knowledge. Making about $600 per month, plus lessons, Singh got involved in a high stakes golf game one day with some $800 on the line.

The match came down to the last hole, a par 5. Singh knocked his tee shot out of bounds. He then made eagle on his second ball, and his opponent hit two in the water.

"I was thinking, "If I lose, will I get out of here alive?' " Singh said.

By 1987, he had saved enough money to leave Borneo. Singh went to Europe, where he failed to qualify for the European Tour. He spent time as a bouncer at an Edinburgh, Scotland, nightclub, hitting balls by the day. The next year he won the Nigerian Open, made it through European Tour qualifying and steadily climbed the money list.

He won four times in Europe, added six international victories, then came to the United States, where he was the PGA Tour rookie of the year in 1993.

All the while, the mystery remained. Singh remained distrustful of others, not wanting to talk about himself. He would rarely, if ever, address the cheating accusation. Only recently, after being embraced as a two-time major championship winner (he captured the 1998 PGA Championship) has Singh started removing the barriers.

"Vijay is absolutely a great guy," said Paul Tesori, a former PGA Tour player who now caddies for Singh. "You spend five minutes with him, and you wonder how he ever got a reputation for being distant with people."

And there is no question that Singh -- who built an oceanfront mansion near PGA Tour headquarters in Ponte Vedra Beach -- has the universal respect of his peers.

"I've never seen anyone work as hard as that man does," Nick Price said. "I wonder how much earth he's moved over the years. I don't know if Mr. (Ben) Hogan practiced as hard as Vijay did. Certainly no one in my era even comes close to him."

"He is a wonderful player, one of the best on this planet," said Duval, who played the last 36 holes with Singh at last year's Masters. "I don't think anybody should be surprised that Vijay won the golf tournament."

This week, Singh will attempt to become the first player since Nick Faldo in 1990 and the second in Masters history to defend his Masters title. (Jack Nicklaus won in 1965 and '66.)

And with that newfound resiliency on the greens, Singh is not discounting the idea.

"Mostly it has been a confidence factor," Singh said. "When I look back, I say, "Hey, listen. I had a great week at one of the toughest greens in the game of golf. Why not do it again?"

Thread Information