100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar

100% Inconsistent!

Hello all,

I am very curious if alot of players have experienced this...

I'll start from the beginning. I started playing golf in 2008, maybe 20 rounds. 2009 probably 40 rounds most of them only 9 holes. 2010 I am playing alot more!

Last year I never kept my handicap, but always shot in the 80's with two rounds in the low 90's. My lowest rounds have been two 81's last year. This year I am playing more and trying to lower my handicap. So I changed my swing because before it was gross. Now I have noticed all year that I have been playing very poorly and not enjoying the game as much. Although I love the game, while I play I am soo frustrated because I know last year I would be able to make the shot with my eyes closed.

So, this year alot of my rounds have been in the 90's and only about 8-10 in the 80's.. A couple rounds being 83,84.. Some very bad rounds around 98,99...

So, I am wondering... How can you play a couple rounds where your ball striking is great and confidence amazing and the next couple days play terrible rounds where you can barely make it down to the hole..???

Is anyone experiencing this?

It is frustrating because one day I will be playing well and think I am finally getting my game back and the next day I could probably play better with my hockey stick !

Any advice would be great!!!!

Thanks
    Micheal.
    Just another lefty....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    Is anyone experiencing this?
    Dosen't everyone experience this? Sounds like every other week to me Up - down - up - down.

The downs make the ups feel even better because you know how hard it can be. I call it "the ride". Get used to it and enjoy the ups and don't sweat the downs. It's part of the game.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I'm sure everyone experiences ups and downs. I'm not talking about small ups and downs... I'm talking about not being able to play one day and the next day playing great.

To put it into perspective. This is how I feel.

Imagine a guy who plays Junior B hockey, he can skate pretty well, then two days a week he forgets how to skate. LOL! That's how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Dosen't everyone experience this? Sounds like every other week to me Up - down - up - down.

The downs make the ups feel even better because you know how hard it can be. I call it "the ride". Get used to it and enjoy the ups and don't sweat the downs. It's part of the game.
    Just another lefty....

That is definately what I'm talking about. Dramatic weekly fluctuations is really exaggerating, but certainly there are times that I have totally lost it for a few weeks and it comes back when you least expect it.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I think it's just inconsistency in a swing as well as mental. I find when I feel like my swing is off, I don't hit solid shots, then i start thinking about hitting them poorly and my game goes to crap. What I try to do is think of a good shot I did in the past that felt solid at least to try to keep my mind in the right mode, otherwise the rest of my game will be ruined. Other than that, I guess take lessons just to improve the swing consistency?

I've played with you a few times now, and I can tell you can hit the ball pretty solid, when you do hit it solid. The only things I noticed with you was that sometimes it seemed like you rushed shots, and also you'd lose balance or come out of shots, almost as if you might've been swinging too hard. If you have a camcorder, tape yourself, it does wonders

That is definately what I'm talking about. Perhaps dramatic weekly fluctuations would be exaggerating, but certainly there are times that I have totally lost it for a few weeks and it comes back when you least expect it.
    Just another lefty....

Sorry, but I don't get the head bash smiley? My answer is frustrating you?

No, he's frustrated that it's a 'normal' part of the game lol.

Sorry, but I don't get the head bash smiley? My answer is frustrating you?

Just wish it wasn't soo sever... That's all..

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    No, he's frustrated that it's a 'normal' part of the game lol.
    Just another lefty....

I agree with you in your analysis. I will definitely need to record my swing..

I think it's just inconsistency in a swing as well as mental. I find when I feel like my swing is off, I don't hit solid shots, then i start thinking about hitting them poorly and my game goes to crap. What I try to do is think of a good shot I did in the past that felt solid at least to try to keep my mind in the right mode, otherwise the rest of my game will be ruined. Other than that, I guess take lessons just to improve the swing consistency?

I've played with you a few times now, and I can tell you can hit the ball pretty solid, when you do hit it solid. The only things I noticed with you was that sometimes it seemed like you rushed shots, and also you'd lose balance or come out of shots, almost as if you might've been swinging too hard. If you have a camcorder, tape yourself, it does wonders
    Just another lefty....

Hey, you asked the question LOL!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You see it on the tour on a consistant basis. One week a guy finishes in the top 10 th next he does not even make the cut.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    That's golf. Plain and simple. Like you, i'm consistently inconsistent. Even on the course, two pars in a row, then all of sudden I can't hit a ball straight and triple bogey, etc.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Take it from a guy who plays everyday,no two days are never alike. I can shoot 78 one day and not break 90 the following. I dont practice and work enough on my game to be consistent. The way I see it , if you keep a hdcp, that is the best way of measuring your game all year long. I am happy to be at 13 right now but I know I could do better.

Well I guess that's good news and bad news. Good that I'm not the only one and bad news knowing no matter how many years I play it can be very inconsistent. I went out and played today and was putting for eagle on a par 5... lol, just lipped out and made my birdie.. I guess you can say golf is one of a kind. I guess that is why I keep playing

I am used to other sports like hockey. I may have an off game but not to the extremes as my golf game.

Once again, thanks for the replies. I can now go out and just play golf knowing it happens to the best of us and just take advantage of the good games.

Micheal,
    Just another lefty....

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    I have been struggling all year too. I worked on my short game a bit this spring, and the neglect to my long game has been cropping up as of late. Sinking a 20 foot putt for bogey just isn't as satisfying as the same putt for birdie. I quit halfway through a round on Sunday (playing by myself) because I'd gone through a dozen balls in 14 holes and I just wasn't having fun.

Magically, today, my ball striking is back to normal - taking dead aim at my targets and blasting many clubs a good 5-10 yards longer than I have even in previous years. Of course, I couldn't make a putt to save my life but I'm far from upset with posting a 46 for 9 holes, which is where, imo, I should be shooting this year.
    Wannabe Golf

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    So, I am wondering... How can you play a couple rounds where your ball striking is great and confidence amazing and the next couple days play terrible rounds where you can barely make it down to the hole..???
    if ball striking is the problem, i think you need to spend time at the driving range practicing your setup. the swing is going to almost always be the same, the thing that changes is how you set up to the ball. to have good ball striking you have to perfect your setup. i've made great progress by practicing my setup.
    also remember that different clubs have different setups. i hit a 3 iron different than i do a 5 iron.

before hitting any shot, i make sure i have:
    -correct grip
    -athletic posture, weight on balls of feet
    -feet, shoulders, forearms aligned to target
    -correct ball position for the club i'm using
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I go over all of this as well now, except that I've been taught to have weight at the arches of the feet instead of at the front of the feet for better stability. This is my 3rd year and I still find I have to double/triple check some of these since sometimes my body goes to what I just naturally did before. For example I just noticed a couple weeks ago that while I feel like I'm aimed straight with everything, my right foot is slightly ahead of my left. I've also been working on really straightening out my back at setup as opposed to just slouching over. It's definitely improved my consistency when I make sure everything is there.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    -correct grip

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I've reached 100% consistancy in my last few games......

Consistantly Sh!TTy!!

Not having fun at all lately so I'm putting the clubs away for a while - after the rounds I've already committed to this long weekend.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Once you've resolved to quit golf at least once a month every month for two or three seasons in a row (only to continue playing every weekend without fail) - THEN it will sink in that consistant inconsistency is just part of the game.

Surprisingly, your game usually improves after you come to that realization.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I go over all of this as well now, except that I've been taught to have weight at the arches of the feet instead of at the front of the feet for better stability. This is my 3rd year and I still find I have to double/triple check some of these since sometimes my body goes to what I just naturally did before. For example I just noticed a couple weeks ago that while I feel like I'm aimed straight with everything, my right foot is slightly ahead of my left. I've also been working on really straightening out my back at setup as opposed to just slouching over. It's definitely improved my consistency when I make sure everything is there.
    agreed
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    How about inconsitency in every round between the front and the back.

Here are some of my last few rounds:

45-37
    45-38
    44-40 (this one isn't that bad except for the 44)
    45-37 (bogied the last two holes)

It's driving me crazy!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    How about inconsitency in every round between the front and the back.

Here are some of my last few rounds:

45-37
    45-38
    44-40 (this one isn't that bad except for the 44)
    45-37 (bogied the last two holes)

It's driving me crazy!
    Start off on the back 9
    Mahatma Gandhi

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    if ball striking is the problem, i think you need to spend time at the driving range practicing your setup. the swing is going to almost always be the same, the thing that changes is how you set up to the ball. to have good ball striking you have to perfect your setup. i've made great progress by practicing my setup.
    also remember that different clubs have different setups. i hit a 3 iron different than i do a 5 iron.

-correct grip
    What is the hardest is to do all of this and then forget about it. When you are ready to hit the ball, you have to be 100% concentrated on hitting the ball and not worry about the wind, feet, grip, etc... The only thing that is important is to hit the ball.

Also tempo, I was reading last week an instructor saying that the tempo of your 8 iron should be use with every club... slow back and slow forward... contact will be better and the distance will still be there...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post

Also tempo, I was reading last week an instructor saying that the tempo of your 8 iron should be use with every club... slow back and slow forward... contact will be better and the distance will still be there...

I understand what you're saying but how can one have the same tempo on clubs of different weights and lengths?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I understand what you're saying but how can one have the same tempo on clubs of different weights and lengths?
    I didn't say this...lol... I think what he was trying to say is to not overswing... basically same for a driver, 5 iron, 8 iron, ... some players tend to swing a lot harder (way too hard) with their driver.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    1 thing u need to do first is take a week off, no golf whatsoever, second I go back to the basics, stance, posture, head behind the ball, complete my swing rotating the hips properly, 80% swing speed and usually find my game that way. All of us go through this, and like someone mentioned pros can win a tourney one week then miss the cut the next week, i went from 6.8 handicapp to start the year, had a horrible 3-4 week stretch where i went uo to 9.1. I worked on the basics, now slowly going back down to where I should be.

Tried this, but I never last a week..

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    1 thing u need to do first is take a week off, no golf whatsoever, second I go back to the basics, stance, posture, head behind the ball, complete my swing rotating the hips properly, 80% swing speed and usually find my game that way. All of us go through this, and like someone mentioned pros can win a tourney one week then miss the cut the next week, i went from 6.8 handicapp to start the year, had a horrible 3-4 week stretch where i went uo to 9.1. I worked on the basics, now slowly going back down to where I should be.
    Just another lefty....

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    wow your almost breaking 80 in your first 2 years of playing...dont be too hard on yourself. Consistency comes with time and practice. Practice makes perfect. If I'm in a slump...I stop playing for a week or two and go to the range instead. Its a good way to get your confidence back.

Heck even Tiger gets terrible days too.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I have often heard that a ridulously low percentage of all golfers ever break 100. Got to keep it in perspective. It is a game, and if you don't practice, not play, practice every day for hours you will likely continue to be all over the place. Along with all your other issues I'd bet that the pressure you are putting on yourself this year to improve, is a major reason your scores are going up, not down. It's a game, relax and enjoy it, and be thankful you are not making a living at it.

Thread Information