CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Red face The Old blocking the hands trick

Man, when your swinging well the muscle memory is a beautiful thing , when a swing error rears its ugly head it is the most frustrating thing going :reallymad . Can I hear of some your insightful tips on eliminating blocking the hands. I thought I was not following through but now I follow through with blocked hands. OUCH!! Help me OB can bogey, your my only hope!

Lucas

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    Man, when your swinging well the muscle memory is a beautiful thing , when a swing error rears its ugly head it is the most frustrating thing going :reallymad . Can I hear of some your insightful tips on eliminating blocking the hands. I thought I was not following through but now I follow through with blocked hands. OUCH!! Help me OB can bogey, your my only hope!

Lucas
    Got this tip from Aaron Baddeley. Practice hitting balls with a split hand hokey type grip. hands should be separated by 2-3 inches. That should help you release without blocking it right.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Andru, I will try it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Man, when your swinging well the muscle memory is a beautiful thing , when a swing error rears its ugly head it is the most frustrating thing going :reallymad . Can I hear of some your insightful tips on eliminating blocking the hands. I thought I was not following through but now I follow through with blocked hands. OUCH!! Help me OB can bogey, your my only hope! Lucas
    At the risk of sounding like a smart a**, consider this.

1. There is no such thing as "muscle memory." Muscles may be conditioned, but your brain controls the movement of the muscles.

2. When you swing well or are in the "zone," it is because of what/how you are thinking, and probably what you are not thinking, when you swing, that causes good shots.

3. The path to good golf is "simple." Work on the correct SKILLS. Make the skills HABITS. Find a way of thinking while you swing/play on the course, that allows your subconscious mind to move your muscles the way in which you have trained them. I think that I have found a way to do this, but no-one will believe me so I will keep this secret to myself. Or, at least until the club championship is played.

Blocking the hands is not the cause of the "blocks." In a good swing the left wrist is flat while the right wrist is bent. Some would say that this is a block, however, the block is caused by the arms and the body. Tiger Woods current swing problems are what you are referring to. His shoulders move a little over the top, and his lower body is sliding forward too much, so that the plane of his clubshaft is too steep. He is now in a position where he either has to hold on with the arms(the block) or flip the hands over. He does both, at times, but he usually blocks the shot right. Golfers who straighten their forward leg too quickly, which causes the body to rise up approaching impact, will block the ball to the right.

There are only three essentials in a good swing: 1, hands ahead of the ball at impact, 2, clubhead approaching the ball from the inside, and 3, clubshaft on plane halfway down. Video will show if the golfer is doing this correctly. A golfer could be performing the three essentials correctly and still block, if his grip is too weak, that is, hands turned too much counter clockwise, on the club.

Andru
    Thanks Andru, I will try it.
    Good Luck!

Thanks gents.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Got this tip from Aaron Baddeley. Practice hitting balls with a split hand hokey type grip. hands should be separated by 2-3 inches. That should help you release without blocking it right.
    Also try driving range, feet together, normal swing (without killing yourself on the backswing)...encourages release.

I have always been prone to opening my hips too quickly, feet together soundslike something that should help, thanks golfmania

Thread Information