100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron ZachOly is on a distinguished road

My Swing - I'm Self Taught - Driver & 6i

My swing with a driver and a 6 iron.

I've included slow motion on each shot from both angles.

My typical shot is a fade with 6i to my driver, I play a straight ball with my 7i-60*.

A bad shot is usually a pull or I hit it fat. I usually pull it if I can't miss right.

What do you think?
    Last edited by ZachOly; 03-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Arrt
    Looks like you strike it pretty far.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i think pretty darn good for self taught.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i think pretty darn good for self taught.
    Excellent position at the top and the start down is near perfect. About half way down it appears that your arms come out a little, above what I believe is the ideal plane. Unless, there is excessive hand rotation through impact, I would guess that your ball flight is one that starts a little left of target and fades back, with the occasional pull hook.

Lots of power, good positions and great balance.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Sam Snead was self-taught, pretty good company there.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachOly View Post
    My swing with a driver and a 6 iron.

I've included slow motion on each shot from both angles.

My typical shot is a fade with 6i to my driver, I play a straight ball with my 7i-60*.

A bad shot is usually a pull or I hit it fat. I usually pull it if I can't miss right.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_75NoBlx08

FAKE!

(isn't that the standard response to all youtube videos these days? )

Seriously though... I'm no expert, but that looks to me like an excellent swing! What's your handicap?

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Wish I had a self taught swing that good!
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

9 Iron ZachOly is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Unless, there is excessive hand rotation through impact, I would guess that your ball flight is one that starts a little left of target and fades back, with the occasional pull hook.
    That's right. It makes hitting driver on holes were you can't miss left or right pretty daunting haha

Handicap is currently a 3 after I shot a 90 in a tournament last weekend (80 km/h winds + high ball flight don't mix well). I shot a 69 the week before.

I would say my major issues right now are hitting it low into the wind and getting up and down when I miss a green. I'd venture to say I'm averaging 1/4 or 1/3 in my greenside up and downs

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i'm not a teacher, just a student, and i compared your swing to what this guy is saying about the downswing, and it seems like you need to have your left hip more active/pulling more. in your video it looks like your hips turn after you've made contact.

that's my crappy analysis for today.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    It's great to hear that your are a 3 and just self taught. I say this with the caveat that I am definitely no teacher, but you asked so I am providing, your lower body seems funny through the swing particularly the back leg. I find it strange that it straightens up, maybe because you have a more upper body swing and aren't driving with your lower body.

I have posted a video of Adam Scotts and Tiger swing to show you what I mean. You will notice that on their finish their back leg is bent. Don't know what causes it or what the effect of it is, just looks odd to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgKbg...eature=related

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Hmm I watched this video and went to go try it at the range, surprisingly it worked quite well. Now I just need to practice it a lot more tomorrow before my games on the weekend haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i'm not a teacher, just a student, and i compared your swing to what this guy is saying about the downswing, and it seems like you need to have your left hip more active/pulling more. in your video it looks like your hips turn after you've made contact.

that's my crappy analysis for today.

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    It's great to hear that your are a 3 and just self taught. I say this with the caveat that I am definitely no teacher, but you asked so I am providing, your lower body seems funny through the swing particularly the back leg.
    Agree -- it appears that on the downswing the weight shifts nicely to the left but too much of it and too early, it looks like the right leg is held back by force of will, with no real weight on it, hence the awkward finish.

You might want to google the phrase "Sevam1 the move". It will take you to youtube vids by Sevam1, aka Mike Maves, a Canadian guy with terrific insights on the golf swing, including the specific concept that the right leg and foot must maintain ground pressure as long as possible during the swing. Maves is a hell of a story, he posted his backyard videos on youtube and got a call from Steve Elkington, they have teamed up and have a golf instruction website called Secret In The Dirt which also features Jackie Burke, the site is fantastic.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    As Tiger Woods said last year during that Tiger Challenge thingy...

"it's not a game of swing, it's a game of golf"

if you're a 3 handicap and shooting 69s may I humbly suggest you just keep on swinging as you are and, as you said yourself, just work on the short stuff to get that scrambling percentage up.

you self evidently have a good enough swing to shot sub-par rounds

Bill Wood
    Don't change a thing. Perhaps a fat shot or a pull could be a little tweak in the hands at the bottom of the swing. Don't think about your hands. My two cents. Great swing. Wish I had it.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Your ball flight is probably a slight draw usually? Bit of an inside out movement.

Nothing worth worrying about though. Nice swing!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    He mentions when he posted the vid that's its usually a fade
    But yea, pretty nice swing!

Quote Originally Posted by Husband View Post
    Your ball flight is probably a slight draw usually? Bit of an inside out movement.

Nothing worth worrying about though. Nice swing!

Thread Information