100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge MeanderingME is on a distinguished road

Same colored Flags on every hole!!!

Why 'o' why do courses use the same colored flags for everyhole. We played The Meadows yesterday. All of the holes had the same blue and white striped flags on the greens no matter if the hole was at the front middle or back of the green. Maybe this is just an anomally but I don't play there often enough to recognize where the hole might be by looking at it. I ended up just trying to hit the center of the green and ended up more than a few times putting myself in, possibly, more trouble due to the undulations that I might have avoided with an extra club (or lesser club) with usual Red, White or Blue flags. The course itself was in good shape, but I'm not to sure I'll be back there because of flags.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Same stuff at Manderley this weekend. They had all yellow flags, with apparently the small flag below indicating the location of the pin, but it wasn't accurate so either someone forgot to set them up properly or they just don't do it. Played my best game but I can recall a couple of holes where I hit the green based on the location shown on the flag and ended up having to putt the entire length of the green because it was incorrect Annoying for sure.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Rangefinders ftw!

i'm also thinking of buying binoculars to get a real good look at undulations and size of the green. that's legal right?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

SkyCaddie IntelliGreen ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Rangefinders ftw!

i'm also thinking of buying binoculars to get a real good look at undulations and size of the green. that's legal right?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    SkyCaddie IntelliGreen ftw!
    nah, your skcaddie was off by 1 yard half of the time.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Sand Wedge Pooler33 is on a distinguished road Pooler33's Avatar
    I was at Meadows yesterday as well, with a couple of buddies, and the flags annoyed us to no end. Shot a good round, but wondered how much better it could have been had I known where the hole was. Played on the weekend as well, and the course had the small "indicator" flags... which where near the top of the stick for every hole. Useful......
    Food goes in here..... it sure does.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Rangefinders ftw!

Yes.

Played a tournament the other day with red flags on each green. I guess I have been programmed to think that red is always FRONT. Thank U rangefinder.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    One of the reasons I got a rangefinder this year. It's been a godsend.

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar

flags

Stonebridge has changed to Red White and Blue which is awesome

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Stonebridge has changed to Red White and Blue which is awesome
    this should the way at EVERY course.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    It's me GM buddy.

And no....I don't think you could have shot a better round. Killed me by 11 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooler33 View Post
    I was at Meadows yesterday as well, with a couple of buddies, and the flags annoyed us to no end. Shot a good round, but wondered how much better it could have been had I known where the hole was. Played on the weekend as well, and the course had the small "indicator" flags... which where near the top of the stick for every hole. Useful......

Red, yellow, blue flags are definetly ideal. I don't have a caddie looking at the course everyday for me. The only plausible reason I can find for a course to do this is the ease of not having to think about where they can put a flag if they've run out of a certain color. I wonder if the courses that use the color system only have 6 of each color. With the one color flag way I guess this doesn't matter. Glad to here that Stonebridge changed to the different flag colors. I rememdber when they used a grid system on there score cards and they used to tell you the flags are in "grid 3" today. That wasn't so bad either.
    Last edited by MeanderingME; 06-28-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: More to add.....

6 Iron Biffster26 is on a distinguished road Biffster26's Avatar

Same coloured flags

Because Manderley and Meadows are 27 holes and 36 holes respectively the flags are meant to indicate which 9 you are playing not the hole location. Since the holes intersect at various points it would be easy to get sidetracked onto the wrong nine if you were unfamiliar with the course, which in my opinion would be worse than knowing the exact pin location.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffster26 View Post
    Because Manderley and Meadows are 27 holes and 36 holes respectively the flags are meant to indicate which 9 you are playing not the hole location. Since the holes intersect at various points it would be easy to get sidetracked onto the wrong nine if you were unfamiliar with the course, which in my opinion would be worse than knowing the exact pin location.
    Sorry but that is NOT the case at the Meadows. ALL 36 flags are the same blue/white flags. We've been told they are on back order.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Some course will have the same colour flag but will also have an overview of each hole on the score with numbers indicating the pin placement. Normally the pro shop or starter will tell you what number the pin placement is for that day.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Some course will have the same colour flag but will also have an overview of each hole on the score with numbers indicating the pin placement. Normally the pro shop or starter will tell you what number the pin placement is for that day.
    Which other courses do this? I know Stonebridge used to. I like that system a lot.

Hybrid chris_woods is on a distinguished road chris_woods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shushu View Post
    Which other courses do this? I know Stonebridge used to. I like that system a lot.
    Cedar hill does.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_woods View Post
    Cedar hill does.
    Really???? I used to play there a lot. I didn't know that they did it that way. Is that new to the last couple of years?

Hybrid chris_woods is on a distinguished road chris_woods's Avatar
    yes I think it's cedar hill I am remembering, played there about 3 weeks ago for a junior qualifier, and just briefly looked at the score card, it showed each green and numbers in certain sections of the green.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Casselview has the same system.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Renfrew also uses the quadrant systems and it is very handy indeed.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So on Tuesday I decided to forward this thread to Manderley's GM Greg Chambers. I have discussed this with him and the greenskeeper Larry on a few occasions and they have always said they'd consider it, but it didn't happen. So I used this thread to refresh the idea and plead my case again.

They had a sit down and decided to move forward with it! We are now using the 3 colour flag system! YAY! For now it's Yellow = front, White = Middle and Red = Back The red will be swapped out for Blue when the new flags they ordered come in. Then the pins will match the Tees with yellow being the forward/front colour. Played today and it's really an improvement.

Thanks for bringing it up!
    Last edited by Kilroy; 07-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Great job! Now if only all the other courses followed suit! But see what the community can do? This will definitely make me want to play Manderley as opposed to being against it next time someone wants to play.

Cool......

just doing my part to better the world....one course at a time.....

Quote Originally Posted by chris_woods View Post
    yes I think it's cedar hill I am remembering, played there about 3 weeks ago for a junior qualifier, and just briefly looked at the score card, it showed each green and numbers in certain sections of the green.

HAHA...Damn. I played there on Friday....forgot to ask about this.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Meadows Flags

Quote Originally Posted by Biffster26 View Post
    Sorry, cannot agree with this comment regarding Meadows. It is my "home" course and I know it quite well. In past years there has always been the mini-flag to indicate pin placement. This year, for some reason, there is none, at least that I noticed on my last visit. Meadows is set up in such a way that there is no criss-cross of the 9's. Not impossible, but you'd have to be really lost to find your way onto another nine.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The power of KILROY!!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Sorry, cannot agree with this comment regarding Meadows. It is my "home" course and I know it quite well. In past years there has always been the mini-flag to indicate pin placement. This year, for some reason, there is none, at least that I noticed on my last visit. Meadows is set up in such a way that there is no criss-cross of the 9's. Not impossible, but you'd have to be really lost to find your way onto another nine.
    exactly

as for the mini flags
    i was told they are on back order
    been 2 months on back order but thats what they said to us.

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Renfrew also uses the quadrant systems and it is very handy indeed.
    Sorry...is this the same as the "grid system"? Possibly the proper name for it?

Thread Information