CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

New Tiger of old

PEBBLE BEACH — If Tiger Woods isn't all the way back, he's close enough.

More...

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    love him or hate him that was a fantastic back nine yesterday by Woods.

I thought Johnson was outstanding (let's not forget he shot a 66 also!) and McDowell solid. With Els and Mickelson in the mix too, today should be a fabulous day of golf

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Agreed! Go Tiger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    love him or hate him that was a fantastic back nine yesterday by Woods.

I thought Johnson was outstanding (let's not forget he shot a 66 also!) and McDowell solid. With Els and Mickelson in the mix too, today should be a fabulous day of golf
    Just another lefty....

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Can't wait to watch this afternoon.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

...and the unknown (to me at least) Gregory Havret pleyed really well yesterday too. He has nothing to lose.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Anyone see Phil just hit one 390...good lord. Johnson is choking big time!!!

I was disappointed. Everyone was moving backwards. Nobody was making a charge.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I was disappointed. Everyone was moving backwards. Nobody was making a charge.
    Apparently Phil was about to say something in an interview about the course setup, then thought better of it and held his tongue. Would have been interesting to hear what he had to say.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    He later commented on one of his putts and that it was moving left and right, and not due to break from what I could tell. I'm pretty sure he was just going to complain that the greens were garbage

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Phil made some mistakes, but it was his putter that let him down at the start of the round. He had a chance to put up a good front nine and get on a roll. At the end of the day, the winner finished at even par, which seems like it's the number that the USGA aims for. The final group did a great job of setting up what could have been a shoot out at the end, and none of the big guns stepped up to the plate to make it interesting.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    He later commented on one of his putts and that it was moving left and right, and not due to break from what I could tell. I'm pretty sure he was just going to complain that the greens were garbage
    He answered a question with "I know what it was, but it just doesn't sound good so I'm not going to say anything."

If I had to guess, I would think that Phil was going to comment on the nature of the pin placements (ie. lots of them on "crowned" areas). The greens themselves didn't look too bad, actually.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Tiger came off as a whiny brat (yet again) in his interviews and blamed everyone but himself.

Everyone else that I saw (Phil, Ernie, etc) took their lumps and said yes, it was tough but it was tough for everyone and that was fine.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Timbuktu
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Tiger came off as a whiny brat (yet again) in his interviews and blamed everyone but himself.
    Did I miss the interviews that you saw? Cause the one I saw he said he made 3 mental mistakes that cost him a chance to win.

I don't think that's blaming anyone else but himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuktu View Post
    Did I miss the interviews that you saw? Cause the one I saw he said he made 3 mental mistakes that cost him a chance to win.

I don't think that's blaming anyone else but himself.
    Yeah same here. Typical Tiger hate, the usual.

If anything, Phil's cryptic responses should be the ones being analyzed. Really, the players are damned if they do and damned if they don't...if they offer canned answers, they're dismissed as boring. If they're candid and honest, they're "whiny."

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    In the first interview he was asked if he could take away any positives (or something to that effect) and replied curtly saying "Nothing". Then in the later interview he implied that the club selection on the one hole was Steve Williams fault.

The point is, and I am not alone in this, is that every other player when interviewed tried to be positive and not point fingers. They tried to goad Phil into an answer and he said that he didn't want to go there.

Even my wife remarked on how surly Tiger was compared to every other golfer that was interviewed was. Like it or not, Tiger's in the PR business and if he's going to continue to act like a spoiled child when he has a bad day then he's not going to win any fans.

I was amazed watching the Golf Channel coverage at the comments Chamblee made about Tiger's attitude. He called him out for being a whiny brat as well. This would never have happened a year ago.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

In the first interview he was asked if he could take away any positives (or something to that effect) and replied curtly saying "Nothing". Then in the later interview he implied that the club selection on the one hole was Steve Williams fault.

The point is, and I am not alone in this, is that every other player when interviewed tried to be positive and not point fingers. They tried to goad Phil into an answer and he said that he didn't want to go there.

Even my wife remarked on how surly Tiger was compared to every other golfer that was interviewed was. Like it or not, Tiger's in the PR business and if he's going to continue to act like a spoiled child when he has a bad day then he's not going to win any fans.

I was amazed watching the Golf Channel coverage at the comments Chamblee made about Tiger's attitude. He called him out for being a whiny brat as well. This would never have happened a year ago.
    Conversely, Tiger talked to Mark Rolfing immediately following the round. Ernie Els and Dustin Johnson walked right by without saying a word.

By the way, Tiger does not need to "win" any fans. He will continue to have the most fans, period.

Timbuktu

Actually to be fair Tiger was and is heavily criticized for the way he acted on the course before and after so I don't see your argument. In other words it's nothing new.

When all you needed to do was par out and you would have won your 15th major. When the guys around you we're dropping like flies, including the leader dropping 7 shots in 4 holes. When you don't get the job done...I wouldn't expect Tiger to be pleased with the way the day unfolded. If you expected him to takes some positives after shooting 75 on a Sunday, losing the US Open and had Phil have played better #1 ranking you're nuts.

Worth nothing about Golf Channell...Frank Nobilo pretty much bashes Tiger whenever he can which is a tall order coming from someone who won once in the US.

btw: CBS owns NBC, I can't stand Johnny Miller. And thanks Chris Berman and Sean Mcdonnaugh for ruining the first two rounds of the US Open. Truly unlistenable garbage!

3 Wood Slicer&Dicer is on a distinguished road
    IMO, Tiger and Phil were both a little whiny. Everyone played the same course so it was as fair as a US open usually is, you'd think they'd know how to deal with that.

It's pretty simple, really, play the best over 4 days and win.

The winner did not whine and neither did Havret but you could see Havret was disappointed in himself.

Tiger blaming Stevie for the wrong club, grow up Tiger.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

If I was Tiger and the greens were splotchy and not rolling true, and if my caddie that I pay a very handsome amount didn't double check and make sure I was hitting the right distance, I too would complain. I don't think he needs to grow up at all, he's the best player of all time! Go Tiger! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuktu View Post
    btw: CBS owns NBC, I can't stand Johnny Miller. And thanks Chris Berman and Sean Mcdonnaugh for ruining the first two rounds of the US Open. Truly unlistenable garbage!
    I was surprised that Woods blamed Williams for an error...I'm not sure I've ever heard a player publicly blame his Caddy like that before. BUT I certainly didn't think he came over as whiney...just disappointed and frustrated which is totally natural I'm sure.

I also like Nobalo and I didn't find him to be overly critical of Woods...I think he just called it as he saw it. He was gushing over Woods back 9 Saturday and critical of his performance Sunday....fair enough I think.

I like the Opens (US and British)...they should be tough. Personally I like seeing the pros have to work for par. I would rather see Even par winning than have 60 players at -5 or better. Credit to McDowell for being last man standing.

I'm also glad you mentioned Johnny Miller...I find this commentatong SOOOOO annoying. He is unbelievably negative, sees the down side of every situation and compares everything unfavourably to what he did.

McDowell won fair and square. Woods showed his old self on Saturday, even Johnson when he gets over the shock will come out of this experience stronger. I thought it was a really good US Open...roll on St. Andrews

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer&Dicer View Post
    IMO, Tiger and Phil were both a little whiny. Everyone played the same course so it was as fair as a US open usually is, you'd think they'd know how to deal with that.

It's pretty simple, really, play the best over 4 days and win.

The winner did not whine and neither did Havret but you could see Havret was disappointed in himself.

Tiger blaming Stevie for the wrong club, grow up Tiger.
    But there lies the problem. Say what you think and how you feel.. people complain saying t is not professional. Then when you say the professional answer and something else comes out later ...you're a phony. Really you can't win. I thought the greens were bad just by watching the putts and how they bounced around like a pinball machine. USGA said they were great. I don't think the majority of the players would have agreed with that.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    If I was Tiger and the greens were splotchy and not rolling true, and if my caddie that I pay a very handsome amount didn't double check and make sure I was hitting the right distance, I too would complain. I don't think he needs to grow up at all, he's the best player of all time! Go Tiger! lol

Talking of Caddies and player/caddie relationships, did anyone see the piece about Nicklaus' caddie at the 72 open...it was fascinating

I agree Goochy. It was entertaining to watch. kept my interest. Just wish Havret wouldve made birdie on 18.

Say what you will, they all played the same course didn't they? Havret did not complain at all.

If they don't like the conditions perhaps they shouldn't play next year in the US Open.

Whoever said the US open was supposed to be easy?
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Did anyone ask him?

Say what you will, they all played the same course didn't they? Havret did not complain at all.

If they don't like the conditions perhaps they shouldn't play next year in the US Open.

Ahh touché

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Did anyone ask him?

Havret had more than enough time in his after game interview but unlike others he was very gracious.

Let's agree to disagree.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Why would he? Havret is 392 in the world give or take a couple. This is the biggest finish of his life on one of fore biggest tournaments in the world. And that by qualifying for this year and getting in automatically for next year. This is like a win for him. Most of the others have been there before. They have the right to complain. I do agree, the course was unfair even if everyone is playing the same course. I remember watching Poulter (sp?) stating that it was unfair on the 99Y par three right after his shot on Saturday. He looked straight at the camera right after his shot and bluntly complained. I’m sure that if you asked all the players what they really think anonymously, a good majority would say that the course setup is unfair. In front of the cameras though only the brave talk their minds.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I do agree, the course was unfair even if everyone is playing the same course. I’m sure that if you asked all the players what they really think anonymously, a good majority would say that the course setup is unfair.
    What does it mean that a course is unfair? I don't understand. Too many bunkers, too much wind, greens too difficult, course too long?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

When greens are too hard for the speed and slope for example. Take #14 for example. If you can’t get the ball to stop on the green from a reasonable shot coming in them it isn’t fair. How many times have we seen the ball roll back 50y from a shot hit in the center? 75%+ of that green was unplayable. The ball was just not staying on the green.

Thread Information