100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge MeanderingME is on a distinguished road

HELP!!! I'm Losing Distance

I seem to be losing distance on all of my clubs. Actually it's not 100% true. My Gap and Sand wegdes are still the same distance, but everything else is at least 1 club shorter than I have been over the last few years. And my drives are roughly 25 yards shorter. I guess by reading a lot of posts on this forum that I play a little above average for distance with my clubs. My 5 iron is my 190 club and my 9 iron is 150 usually. This year I've had to play my 3 iron and 8 iron for the same distances. I crushed a drive at The Marshes 18th just this last Tuesday. Something I would usually find out was 280-290 yards out was only 250. It's frustrating for me as I have come to expect a result and now have to second guess being able to clear obstacles like water and bunkers. The shots seem pure. I know the feeling of the bad ones, that's for sure. Any ideas before I spend the money on a lesson?

Thanks

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    your distances are excellent, even with the loss of distance. i dont know why you'd be losing distance, maybe a trip to the gym would help?

my distances are pretty pathetic when i take a normal shot, because i'm only swinging about 80% of my full potential. i find i have more control if i slow down my swing speed:

pw-105
    9i - 115
    8i - 128
    7i - 140
    6i - 150
    5i - 160
    4i - 170
    3i - 180
    5w - 190-200
    3w - 210-230
    1w - 250-275
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    wow, my distances are pretty much spot on to yours, nokids. I always think I'm super weak thankfully I'm not the only one around here hitting such low distances. Ahh well, I'll beat people with accuracy and my short game

Arrt
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    your distances are excellent, even with the loss of distance. i dont know why you'd be losing distance, maybe a trip to the gym would help?

my distances are pretty pathetic when i take a normal shot, because i'm only swinging about 80% of my full potential. i find i have more control if i slow down my swing speed:

pw-105
    9i - 115
    8i - 128
    7i - 140
    6i - 150
    5i - 160
    4i - 170
    3i - 180
    5w - 190-200
    3w - 210-230
    1w - 250-275
    Are you a regular shaft user?

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Usually at the beginning of the season it takes me a little bit to get my distances back on my irons. (I'm about the same as you 9i for 145-150)
    Sometimes I'm focusing on smoothness and tempo and even though I'm hitting the ball on the sweet spot losing about 10 yards because I'm just not swinging as hard/fast as I usually do. I find getting out to the range and trying to combine getting on the right plane and also giving the swing that little extra oomph helps a lot.
    Even I've never heard of me

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

pw-105
    9i - 115
    8i - 128
    7i - 140
    6i - 150
    5i - 160
    4i - 170
    3i - 180
    5w - 190-200
    3w - 210-230
    1w - 250-275
    Weird. I hit my short/mid irons longer than you do, but you hit your driver a good 30-40 yards further than I do.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrt View Post
    Are you a regular shaft user?
    5.5 rifle precision flighted shafts which is stiff i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Weird. I hit my short/mid irons longer than you do, but you hit your driver a good 30-40 yards further than I do.
    switch to the pro v1 !!!!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I like how quickly nokids hijacked this thread by the way

lol. i'm just keeping it active, nobody was commenting on it!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I've lost a ton of distance this year, but I'm afraid its because I'm not hitting it in the center of the club face as often.
    Andrew

Arrt
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post

[QUOTE=nokids;364672]5.5 rifle precision flighted shafts which is stiff i believe.

I was thinking the same thing. I hit my five 175 yards, I have G10s with regular shafts though. My driver is stiff and usually goes 240. I really should get fitted. I feel I swing harder than required for a regular shaft though. I need to go get hooked up to one swing speed machines.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanderingME View Post
    I seem to be losing distance on all of my clubs. Actually it's not 100% true. My Gap and Sand wegdes are still the same distance, but everything else is at least 1 club shorter than I have been over the last few years. And my drives are roughly 25 yards shorter. I guess by reading a lot of posts on this forum that I play a little above average for distance with my clubs. My 5 iron is my 190 club and my 9 iron is 150 usually. This year I've had to play my 3 iron and 8 iron for the same distances. I crushed a drive at The Marshes 18th just this last Tuesday. Something I would usually find out was 280-290 yards out was only 250. It's frustrating for me as I have come to expect a result and now have to second guess being able to clear obstacles like water and bunkers. The shots seem pure. I know the feeling of the bad ones, that's for sure. Any ideas before I spend the money on a lesson?

Thanks
    Have you changed ballsby any chance? Maybe you are using a ball that isn't suited to your swing speed.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    If your car lost 20% fuel mileage, you'd probably get a mechanic to look it over. How is your golf swing any different? I would personally blow the $'s on a lesson to get my swing evaluated. It could be a very simple fix that could bring you back to your usual distances. And considering 1 hour of lessons is along the same cost a one round of golf at a nice course, how can you lose?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    distance is one thing I am not needing anymore of... This year I have noticed a increase in my distance. Hit my 7i about 160-165. I am now losing my accuracy this year... . I dont feel as though I am swinging any harder though...

I am going to be getting lessons here in the coming weeks to try and get that back. MUCH more important...

Putter jgolf925 is on a distinguished road jgolf925's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanderingME View Post

Thanks
    I had this problem last year I thought that maybe old age was creeping in lol
    Then I was on the driving range and noticed my swing was armsy.
    So I went with 1 swing tought.
    left shoulder over right foot on backswing, Right shoulder over left foot on downswing.
    My distance was back and accuracy improved immediatley.

Sand Wedge MeanderingME is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the reply's. I did end up switching balls. Last year I switched between Taylormade TP's and Callaway iTour's. This year I started playing Bridgestone B330-RX's. I don't think this is the issue. I might by a box of Callaway's again to see if it helps. I started the year off with the same distances I always had. I just found a decline as this year has progressed. I'm going for a lesson soon. I know its an important part before I start making things worse by practicing the wrong things.

Thread Information