100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golfworks Irons

Putter SuperSlew is on a distinguished road

Golfworks Irons

To all of you Ottawa area clubmakers. Unlike myself, you have easy access to the Golfworks outlet and have likely tried out some of their irons. I'm thinking of making a set for myself so I wondered if you could give me some feedback on any irons that you have tried out.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Not trying to derail the thread in the first post, but I haven't tried any of the Golfworks irons. I just think they are plain ugly for the most part.

If you want a really sweet deal on irons, check out the Golfsmith Tour Cavity forged. They are on sale right now for 25% if I remember correctly.

Very nice looking, classic design.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Not trying to derail the thread in the first post, but I haven't tried any of the Golfworks irons. I just think they are plain ugly for the most part.
    If you want a really sweet deal on irons, check out the Golfsmith Tour Cavity forged. They are on sale right now for 25% if I remember correctly.
    Agree. Have a set of Tour Cavity Forged, but play with a combination set of Wishon 550C and 550M heads. Interstingly, the Tour Cavity Forged heads were designed by Tom Wishon, when he worked for Golfsmith.

The TCF have a full cavity so are more forgiving than the the Wishon 550C's which have a partial cavity. The TCF also come in left hand.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I used a set of the M-04 blades for most of last year. Unlike some of the designs these were a very classy looking set of sticks. I liked them quite a bit.
    Have also hit the M-05s and they are one of the nicest forged cavity backs available. Very forgiving, nice set up and a pretty set of sticks.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Looks?

A book should not be judged by its cover wouldn't you say? If I had a choice between ugly looking irons that allowed me to score better and a beautiful set that I could not control I would not not even ask myself the question. That being said if I were to put up a set in the near future I would seriously consider the following:
    http://www.golfworks.com/item_disp.asp?pn=1204

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    A book should not be judged by its cover wouldn't you say? If I had a choice between ugly looking irons that allowed me to score better and a beautiful set that I could not control I would not not even ask myself the question.
    True, but don't ignore the confidence factor. If you don't feel comfortable with a club because of the way it looks, you are unlikely to hit it well.

Putter SuperSlew is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the input. The appearance of an iron is not a big deal to me, I just want something that will work. Maybe I am getting hung up on the Golfworks "Playability Factor". As a 16 handicapper I need some help. I can get the ball up in the air but I don't hit the sweet spot very often, often hiting my irons on the toe. I am considering the CER701 or CER851... maybe the Xtreme X1. Shafts will be SK Fiber Tour Trac 80's. I made a Bang-o-matic 9 degree on a SK Fiber Lite Rev 2 this spring and man does it ever smack the ball out there. Distance has never been an issue, but accuracy and hitting it solid are my problem areas.

True, but don't ignore the confidence factor. If you don't feel comfortable with a club because of the way it looks, you are unlikely to hit it well.
    True to a certain extent. Let's say you have this ugly looking hybrid that nails it down the fairway time and time again. What is that going to do for your confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlew
    Thanks for the input. The appearance of an iron is not a big deal to me, I just want something that will work. Maybe I am getting hung up on the Golfworks "Playability Factor". As a 16 handicapper I need some help. I can get the ball up in the air but I don't hit the sweet spot very often, often hiting my irons on the toe. I am considering the CER701 or CER851... maybe the Xtreme X1. Shafts will be SK Fiber Tour Trac 80's. I made a Bang-o-matic 9 degree on a SK Fiber Lite Rev 2 this spring and man does it ever smack the ball out there. Distance has never been an issue, but accuracy and hitting it solid are my problem areas.
    I would go for the highest playability factor. If you are not hitting the sweet spot maybe your clubs are too long for you. Get some impact decals and find out what is the right length for you. And before you invest why don't you just buy let's say the 5 iron. If you don't like the set then you can always try something different.My .002.

True to a certain extent. Let's say you have this ugly looking hybrid that nails it down the fairway time and time again. What is that going to do for your confidence?
    Good point. My main point was comfort level.

I personally can't hit a club that I don't like the look of. I used to play Tommy Armour 845s, but at some point I started to dislike the look of the offset.

I'd probably throw up if I had to hit the old Cleveland VAS irons.

So. Which ones do you like?

So. Which ones do you like?
    I like the Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged (current irons).

Others in that camp are the Wishon 550s that BCMist is playing.

There are a couple of Titleist and Mizuno models that are nice too.

Basically, little or no offset, "standard" size head, thin top line.

Gap Wedge KJP is on a distinguished road KJP's Avatar

Thumbs up M-04 & M-05

This Spring, I built myself a nice combo set of Maltby m-05 - 4/5/6 and m-04 7/8/9. Put them on dynamic gold s300 shafts. Great workability on the m-04 and good consitency/forgiveness on the m-05. Both are forged. I understand from the golfworks website forum that the m-04 is going to be discontinued at the end of this year, so if a true blade is your game, you may want to act quick.

On the "aesthetics" side of things, I love the thin top line on the m-04, but they are very susceptible to bag dings. The m-05s riding in the same bag seem to be less susceptible. If looks matter, consider getting some protection for the m-04's.

Good service and advice from the staff at Golfworks Ottawa.

I carry a full bag of Vokey black nickle wedges 48/52/56/60, and the Maltby's are a great match. Same feel and consistency.

Enjoy!

Thread Information