100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: What is a decent score for you?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Par or better

8 4.17%
  • 73 - 79

65 33.85%
  • 80 - 89

90 46.88%
  • 90 - 99

18 9.38%
  • 100 - 110

2 1.04%
  • any score that lowers my handicap

9 4.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sand Wedge ViciousEgo is on a distinguished road ViciousEgo's Avatar
    Love to break 90 on a consistent basis, if I never counted a lost ball or a horrible chip, then it would be 80-82 every round. I think 18 extra strokes on an 18 hole course is acceptable!!

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    For me sometimes I feel I play well (strike the ball well) but my score isn't where I'd like it to be. My best round is a 79 at Stonebridge scoring wise but my best overall round is an 83 at Eagle Creek. 83 to 87 is my range.

Putter jgolf925 is on a distinguished road jgolf925's Avatar
    For me a decent round is 87 lower is great, higher makes me pratice more lol

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    For me sometimes I feel I play well (strike the ball well) but my score isn't where I'd like it to be. My best round is a 79 at Stonebridge scoring wise but my best overall round is an 83 at Eagle Creek. 83 to 87 is my range.

I'd have to agree with you on your remark. I've had better scoring days than others, but those great ball striking days are so memorable. I've had much better scores on my home courses, but one of my best days ever on a golf course was playing Eagle Creek and shot an 82. Can't remember if we played the tips or the second back tees. But it was a day to remember. Don't think I putted well that day, and if I did I would've been mid 70s for sure.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Definitely agree with the above posts. Last weekend at the Marshes i hit something like 16 fairways and 14 greens, was striking the ball like a whiz. Putter however was completely horrendous, shot an 82. Felt like it should have been in the 60's!!

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    80-89, < 85 is good. But as said above, fairways, GIRs and no 3 putts usually reflect my score. Plus playing with my son, 3 or 4 times a week, doesn't get any better than that.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I selected 73 to 79, but there are times when anything worse than par is indecent. It really depends on the weather, how I'm feeling, and how tough the course is playing. Today, for example, I played in a howling wind and some on again, off again showers. Before the round I would have said that a three over 75 would have been a decent round under the circumstances. The golf Gods, though, had other things in mind for me. I began with a birdie on the front nine and added 3 more and one bogey for a 3 under 33. The back nine saw one more birdie added to a list of pars for a 35. That 68 was the easiest 68 I ever shot, and I did so with a back muscle in spasm. I'll never, ever figure out this game!
    Last edited by mpare; 06-24-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I selected 73 to 79, but there are times when anything worse than par is indecent. It really depends on the weather, how I'm feeling, and how tough the course is playing. Today, for example, I played in a howling wind and some on again, off again showers. Before the round I would have said that a three over 75 would have been a decent round under the circumstances. The golf Gods, though, had other things in mind for me. I began with a birdie on the front nine and added 3 more and one birdie for a 3 under 33. The back nine saw one more birdie added to a list of pars for a 35. That 68 was the easiest 68 I ever shot, and I did so with a back muscle in spasm. I'll never, ever figure out this game!
    ......Your days of getting strokes from me are over . Way to play, and I was happy with a one under par 35 today in the league . You are still my hero!!!

If I could hit the ball like you, Frank, I would be a truly happy man.

By the way Frank, is there a chance that we might see you here in September? I still have a golf shirt for you!!!! If not, send me a PM with your address and a shirt will be sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    ......Your days of getting strokes from me are over . Way to play, and I was happy with a one under par 35 today in the league . You are still my hero!!!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I only wish I could come out there any time soon, I'm getting tired of changing keyboards due to me drooling on them and shorting them outEvery time you guys talk about outings and tournaments I just can't take it being poor and not being able to afford to drive out there. You keep the shirt as an incentive for me to find a way to get out there. Thats a great round of golf you had there, I have'nt shot under 70 so far this year, I'm not complaining cause my last rounds were 74,71,36,35 so I'm doing O.K. but still a little wild off of the tee with the driver. This may have something to do with me having Plantar fasciitis in my right foot for the last 5 weeks but it's getting better. Hope you have a great time at the tournament I know you will all do well.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar

decent round

I would say a decent round for me is when I only have to buy a beer for 1 person!

Lob Wedge Lyv2golf is on a distinguished road Lyv2golf's Avatar
    I also play several different courses for which I tend to agree with scoring between 80-85 being a great round for me and 85-90 being decent. Shooting over 90 for me personally, I'm disapointed. I cannot wait for the day I brake 80 - hopefully this will happen in the next year or two

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Any round where someone else's change purse opens up to feed mine.

I miss you mpare!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I miss you as well, but I miss the money that I paid you the last time we played more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Any round where someone else's change purse opens up to feed mine.

I miss you mpare!

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    A decent round is one that I hit 2-3 memorable shots be it drives, approaches or putts. Hopefully they're more memorable than the 10-15 bad ones I'd prefer to forget.

A high 70's number will always keep me coming back. A low 80's number means I made a few more mistakes than normal but that I'm not totally thrilled about. A high 80's number means I performed very poorly for my skill level, and I'll still be back to try to improve. I guess no matter which way I slice it... I'll be back!

Putter ElBo1 is on a distinguished road
    Welll pre-injury anything under 80 and I was stricking the ball well..
    Now anything under 85 means less than a 2putt average freaking heal already stupid ankle hehe
    "The best way to build confidence... is to succeed"

6 Iron Tullamore is on a distinguished road
    hooking up with a good bunch and talking some good Smack - no serious folks - if i want that i would go the the public library
    - on the 8th hole spark up a good ciiigar from Mr.Castro's homeland!! Cohiba
    - after the round the Irish Whiskey comes into play!!
    - never about the score - all about having a good time!!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    After playing rounds between 95-118 between late May and this week I finally was able to play a round without losing a ball off the tee, hitting almost every fairway, and getting almost every GIR but on the par three's. My putter was cold and I missed all my Bird attempts but got 6 Pars, 10 Bogies, and two doubles to end up with 86. I three putted at least 6 times but still am very happy to get my MOJO back and shoot a decent round.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I would say that a decent round for me is 79-81.

77 was my best round at Le Maitre this year, everything was clicking...

I would say a round under 71 is a very good round for me, normally I would still have 3 bogies during that round, just a lot more birdies. A round of 72 to 75 is where I'm most comfortable with and if I shoot an 80 or higher there better have been 1 or 2 really bad holes instead of a lot of missed greens in reg. or I will be eyeballing the nearest bridge and checking if it's high enough .

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Agood round for me is---- if the last ball I pick up is the first one I put down--play within my handicap factor and can laugh at the bad shots There is always another game to play-----tomorrow
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Bogey or better

Any round without any double bogeys. I am usually good for 4-6 pars per round and a birdie every couple of rounds so 80-89 seems a good fit.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    It's only been a couple months but this has changed from anything in the low 80's is decent, anything above 85 is pretty bad lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Right now, anything in the high 80's is decent, below 85 is really good.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Level par or better

Putter skwij is on a distinguished road skwij's Avatar
    Chose 80-89 but really, anything 80-84 is decent, and high 70's is a really good day.

Gap Wedge Steel is on a distinguished road Steel's Avatar
    Just got back into the game last year after a lengthy 11 year lay-off. Gone on holidays all of July, Sockeye fishing was fantastic here in Vancouver all of August and half of September, so I didn't touch a club for about 2 1/2 months in prime time. Other than that, hard at it on the range, had a couple of 78-79's late in the year, used to play off of 5-8, hope to get back there this summer. Going to do most of my Golfing in the USA this year. Don't know what prices are like out your way, but Vancouver and the rest of B.C. is way out of line. You can buy a 10 round pass card for both Semiahmoo and Loomis trail for $450.00 both ranked in the top 10 courses in Washington state/top 100 in USA, and they want $60.00-$150.00 for most decent courses in B.C. something doesn't compute. Nexus pass and Canuck buck at par see ya later
    A man's got to know his limitations

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    Par or better makes the short game practice worthwile. Wether it's par with a lot of GIRs, or par with great scrambling all day, they both show great sides of the game! I've shot par with 18 straight pars, and it is much less exciting than scrambling, but I love boring golf...I know it's a good round if there are no remarkable saves or comebacks...just good, boring golf for me!

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road

House of cards crumbling

Impressive scoring. But as a mediocre ball striker I think you have it backwards being a good ball striker with questionable short game and putting would be the house of cards.
    A questionable shot off the tee doesn't guarantee a bogie or worse but a questionable short game shot or putt usually does.

Who knows it could be I'm just jealous of 14 fairways an 16 GIRs.

I know I would like to have it all but I think most people’s handicaps would drop more with say a 10% improvement (making up the number here) in their short game as opposed to the same increase in ball striking.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Since half of my 26 games have been par of better, I use par as my standard, however, what is most meaningful to me is NOT the score but the quality of the ball striking. My worst Intersectional qualifying score, a 73, was the best day of ball striking with 14FW and 16 GIR. This helps to maintain a high confidence level that carries into subsequent rounds.

Scoring well because of a good short game and putting but with poor ball striking, is like waiting for the House of Cards to crumble.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    I know I would like to have it all but I think most people’s handicaps would drop more with say a 10% improvement (making up the number here) in their short game as opposed to the same increase in ball striking.
    Define a 10% improvement in short game.

If you said 10% less putts per round on average well obviously that will reduce your handicap since you will be taking 3 less strokes per round, all other things being equal.

But strictly speaking it is virtually impossible for most people to get beyond a certain skill level when it comes to any one aspect of their game.

Using putting as an example, if you are like me and averaging 31 putts per round, getting to 28 is a HUGE feat. At 28 putts per round I would be one of the best putters on the PGA Tour. Those guys putt for a living so you know that they spend a lot more time on it than any of us can afford to.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Using putting as an example, if you are like me and averaging 31 putts per round, getting to 28 is a HUGE feat. At 28 putts per round I would be one of the best putters on the PGA Tour. Those guys putt for a living so you know that they spend a lot more time on it than any of us can afford to.
    The lower the number of greens hit means that the putts per round will be lower as well. The better measure of putting is putts per greens in regulation, which they use on the PGA Tour, and of the short game - save percentage.

My 32 PPR on Premiere would indicate that putting is weak to some, but the 14 GIR, (our greens are relatively large) explains why the putting average is high.

Another measure that I have used in the past and has an influence on putting stats, is average distance from the hole on greens hit in regulation.

Thread Information