100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Halifax region golf

Hey:

Heading to Halifax in August and may bring the sticks if it seems worth it. Any recommendations in the Halifax area? Price point under $75 preferred.

Thanks,

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I know the place like the back of my hand. Oh, that's because I lived there. I've sent you a PM with my phone number. If you'd like I will take you through the courses that might be of interest to you. In the meantime, have a look at the NSGA site, which links all of the golf courses: http://www.nsga.ns.ca/# We can also talk about restaurants, pubs, etc.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Hey:

Heading to Halifax in August and may bring the sticks if it seems worth it. Any recommendations in the Halifax area? Price point under $75 preferred.

Thanks,
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

I should have added that depending on when you are there, you might be able to play in a golf tournament if you have a handicap card. My former club, Oakfield, has its men's invitational on August 14 and 15. If it's not already full, you might want to look into that if you have the time. It's a great event, and you'll be tested under fire.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Within an hour...

Chester - on the ocean
    Hartlen Point - on the ocean at the mouth of Halifax Harbour, 20 minutes from downtown
    Oakfield - parkland style
    Glen Arbour - new but over your $75 threshold
    Avon Valley - short but always in immacualte condition

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I've played in the Chester Schooner Invitational the last 2 years. Last year a girl won it all...she's now on the LPGA tour. It's a nice place..but not great. The scenery on the first few holes is spectacular being right on the ocean...the rest is sort of "meh" for me. The greens can get kinda stupid if they are cut down or overly dried out.

I've also played the new Ashburn club which was quite nice...private though.
    Last edited by Travis; 06-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Drive up to Cape Breton and you have some of the best golf in Canada, Bell Bay, Highland Links...

Can't believe no one has mentioned Northumberland Links, play on the way in.

3 Wood Slicer&Dicer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post
    Drive up to Cape Breton and you have some of the best golf in Canada, Bell Bay, Highland Links...

I second playing the Cape for sure, especially Highland links which makes most courses around here look like the flat prairies (meaning that a flat lie there is like prime real estate). I played it as a kid, it was $16 for the day, no cart paths, we used to walk it twice - ah the energy of youth, lol...
    I played there last fall and we seen a moose on hole #6 along the road, not surprising at all down there.

Never played Northumberland Links but I hear it is spectacular.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty View Post
    Within an hour...

Chester - on the ocean
    Hartlen Point - on the ocean at the mouth of Halifax Harbour, 20 minutes from downtown

Played both last year and they were well worth it.

I played Hartlen point with some retired military guys/members (first tee of the day) and they were extremely friendly. The wind was such that some of the par threes required driver.

I played Chester with the club pro (don't know how that happened) and he restrained himself from giving too many comments so it was very nice.

Both courses offer spectacular views of the ocean and I was lucky enough to play both with sunshine - last May (the wettest year in my memory)

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    If you get to Cape Breton I'd recommend Dundee. Used to be a member and like the earlier reference to Highlands Links (never played Highlands myself) Dundee is very scenic and no flat lies and a very tree lined tough course. Miss playing there.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    If your willing to drive to Bridgewater try

http://www.ospreyridge.ns.ca/. Within your price range and a nice track. Note: a cart is recommended unless you are part billy goat. If I were you I would definately spend the extra bucks for Glen Arbour. Fantastic track, always in mint shape. Hosted a Canadian Women's Open a few years back. Play it every year I stop in Halifax. http://www.glenarbour.com/

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer&Dicer View Post
    I second playing the Cape for sure, especially Highland links which makes most courses around here look like the flat prairies (meaning that a flat lie there is like prime real estate). I played it as a kid, it was $16 for the day, no cart paths, we used to walk it twice - ah the energy of youth, lol...
    I played there last fall and we seen a moose on hole #6 along the road, not surprising at all down there.

Never played Northumberland Links but I hear it is spectacular.
    Totally agree. If expanding "Halifax area" then go to Cape Breton. Highlands Links is a "must play" but is now priced where it should be ($$$) and no longer the $16 bargain I recall from the early 1980s; Dundee is good with great views of the Bras D'Or; Bell Bay has a really tough 4 hole finish; the Lakes is new and I have not played it but I hear it is good; La Portage is also very good.

8 Iron afulton is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post

Get ready for greens of glass - super quick and super true - some of the nicest greens I have ever played. Hit a good shot, get rewarded - prob one of the nicest public courses down home. From Halifax you're prob looking at about 1.5 hours or so - worth the drive IMHO. Make sure you try and get paired up with a local - some of the shots are not obvious. Watch out for hole #4, it's a par 3 - depending on the wind, you could be hitting a SW or a Driver.

You'll also be in the neighborhood of Fox Harbour - which we couldn't get on last time home becuase it was booked for some guy named Wayne Gretzky (the nerve).

Pugwash (aka Northumberland) is a great track. It looks easier on paper than it really is. I used to play it a lot when I lived in Sackville, N.B. Played in one NS Amateur on that track. Yikes. If you are on the wrong part of the green, you're a dead man. A fun and tough course, especially when the wind is blowing, which it always is.

As for Fox H'rbour, you couldn't ask for better, though it's way above your price point. I was fortunate enough to play it for free the year I reviewed courses for the Globe and Mail. It is a specatacularly beautiful course. Here's one indication of how nice it is. My friend and I were on the practice range before our round hitting Pro V1s (yes, you heard me right), when I noticed that my friend wasn't hitting any shots. I asked him what the problem was. He said that he couldn't bring himself to hit on that turf as it was nicer than the greens at his course in Halifax!

Quote Originally Posted by afulton View Post
    Get ready for greens of glass - super quick and super true - some of the nicest greens I have ever played. Hit a good shot, get rewarded - prob one of the nicest public courses down home. From Halifax you're prob looking at about 1.5 hours or so - worth the drive IMHO. Make sure you try and get paired up with a local - some of the shots are not obvious. Watch out for hole #4, it's a par 3 - depending on the wind, you could be hitting a SW or a Driver.

You'll also be in the neighborhood of Fox Harbour - which we couldn't get on last time home becuase it was booked for some guy named Wayne Gretzky (the nerve).

Thread Information