100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road

What would you do? also Cleveland Launcher DST Driver thoughts?

so i played a round today and noticed halfway thru that my new 2009 cleveland launcher driver has a nice dent in the heel.. ive used it about a dozen times. looks like a ball hit there.. now i have skied a couple balls with it, ill openly admit to that but ive never heeled one that i can recall.. in fact i dont know if ive ever heeled a ball with a driver.. not to that point of the club. needless to say i was a little bit peeved.

anyways, brought it to golftown and inquired about getting it sent back to cleveland for warranty, just to see what my chances were, the guy told me pretty well i didnt have much hope.. but he made the call anyways, to his suprise they said i could send it in because they've had an above avg return rate on that model with heel dents and theyre now looking into the reasoning.

but here's the problem..

cleveland doesnt have any more 09 launchers, so i would end up getting cleveland credit in return.. im not looking for any more clubs this year so the credit is not that much use to me other than for a replacement driver, and i also dont want to have to dish out any extra coin for a new driver.. another option is i could deal with it and keep it the way it is, but it will forever bug me that it has a dent. and i can also rule out ever getting fair value in trade for it.

i havent had a chance to try out the DST yet but have done alot of reading and it seems to be a very good club.. but im also a bargain hunter golfer, and im not sure i want to or even can afford to dish out another 175.00 to GT for a new driver right now. i suppose i could play out the season with it and then bring it back in the fall and hopefully get a new launcher on sale?

anyone have any other thoughts or similar experiences?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Give me the credit I'll give you a driver Perhaps Cleveland still ahs oner kicking around or perhaps they will send you the newer version at no cost. I've seen it happen with other companies. Besides there is a 'recall' on it. What are they going to do with all the other golfers who had a similar problem?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

sounds like a great deal chief!!!!

so i called cleveland this afternoon to see what they say.. very nice and courtious expereince. the rep i dealt with did confirm to me that they have seen a higher level of returns than they're used to with the 09's. not an alarming amount, just higher than normal. told me to ship it to them via GT if i want it looked into. 5 days shipping, 2 week warranty verification process.. and no 09's left in backstock.. ugh, that sucks.. a month without my driver, and i dont have a backup anymore. he told me to check with GT to see if they have any available in canada and to maybe have one shipped in and held as a backup once my warranty claim goes through. id be happy with an 09 replacement, even if it does happeen again, i dont think it's affecting my game in any way, especially after this last weekend i was hitting it so bloody well that i may just accept it the way it is and move on.

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar
    I had a similar experience a few years back with Calaway and they sent me a brand new driver to replace the one that I had received as a gift 3 years B4!! I am using an 09 Launcher now!! Should I be worried? I would call them on it but wait till the year is out.Just tell them to document that you called and reported the warranty but want to use the driver for the year. There are a ton of Brands out there so they are all competing for your $$$.I'll bet they treat you right!!
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by kilntyme View Post
    I had a similar experience a few years back with Calaway and they sent me a brand new driver to replace the one that I had received as a gift 3 years B4!! I am using an 09 Launcher now!! Should I be worried? I would call them on it but wait till the year is out.Just tell them to document that you called and reported the warranty but want to use the driver for the year. There are a ton of Brands out there so they are all competing for your $$$.I'll bet they treat you right!!
    i wouldnt be too worried.. i have no idea how the dent happened in mine, i dont recall hitting anything with it but i doubt it just showed up either ya know? id just keep an eye on it. as they said to me, it's not a 100% occurance or anything, just higher than normal rate of return..

think im gonna take your suggestion, ill bring it to golftown on the weekend and talk to them to see if i can use it for the rest of the year then ship it back.. i like the driver so much that i dont want to lose it if i replacement can't be found.

Thread Information