100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar

320 vs 420 vs 540 vs 580

Earlier there was a post comparing the 320 and the 580. I played the 580XD two weeks ago and found it very forgiving and very long. I have been keeping my eye on the prices of the 580 but it is quite a bit more than the 420 and the 540 (even though they are on sale for about $350 - $390). The 420 seems to set up very nice with a slight offset and the club face looks about the same size for forgiveness. Does anyone have any insight on the benefits of the 580 compared to the 420 or 540?

I think I need to go to Golf Town.

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

Burner

Chances are the guys at Golftown won't know a thing about the 420 Burner. I had mine reshafted here in Toronto and the 2 guys helping me out had never heard of it. The 420 was released at a lower pricepoint in between the 300 and 500 series. Upon release of the 500 series, TM recalled all 420 inventory. The 420 has a bit of a cult following because there really aren't alot of them out there. I've been told that the recall was because people found the 420 substantially easier to hit than any of the 500 series drivers. Is that why they were all recalled? Don't know but I can tell you from my personal experience it is a brutally easy club to hit once it is reshafted. The stock Burner Lite shaft is a POS. The club has a draw weighting to combat a slice along with a slightly closed face. I believe it's 1 degree closed. Not positive about that though. I'm not a big hitter by any means, but I'm averaging anywhere from 250-270 yards off the tee. Keep in mind that the new shaft has alot to do with that. For the price (>$200 you can't go wrong with the 420. It stacks up well against the 300 or 500 series.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Talking

I have the r540. I bought it for 225 as it is now clearance and on sale in most places. it is very forgiving (still need decent swing_ but you get more than you deserve.

overall very nice, confidence inspiring club.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Thread Information