+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge bulldogger75 is on a distinguished road

Store fitting vs CPGA fitting??

Hi guys,
    I'm planning on buying new irons in the very near future. I've gone to GT and tried out several different models and have narrowed it down to a couple that I really like, one of them being the Ping G15's. Will I gain more by going to a place like say, Kevin Haime's and paying $85 to be fitted by a CPGA professional? Or will the store clerk at GT be able to do just as good of a job? The last time I bought custom fitted irons was about 15 years ago at Chuck Brown's. The clerk did a terrible job. I had to be re-fitted by another employee. What's everyones thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Jason

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I would say yes you would benefit from being fit at a place like Kevin Haimes. Not only do you get fit for length of club and get to test a bunch of different club heads, but once you settle on a club that feels right, you can go through various shaft combinations to find one that gives you proper trajectory. Besides, nothing is better than watching real ball flight compared to hitting to a screen.

When I got fit there, I about 8 different club heads before narrowing it down to 2. We then went through literally a dozen different club shafts to find one that caused the club to penetrate rather than balloon up. We also talked a bit about what wedge choices there were, and what degrees would fit properly with the set I selected.

All in all I walked away quite happy paying the $85. I ordered my clubs at the course but I believe if you order through Kevin Haimes they give you some credit from the fitting also.

My two cents.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Get fit outdoors!! You get to actually see the ball fly

I think I'm going to go the outdoor route. I have a guy who works for me his neighbour is the head pro at the Royal Ottawa. Apparently they do Ping custom fitting as well.

Jason

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Personal choice..but if you look into fitting jobs, the boys at GT are certified, some even by ping. Also, if you were to ever check out how most pro's get fit (ie when going to titleist, nike, callaway fitting centers) all of those fittings take place indoors, using the screen. Why? Because those machines can tell so much more detail out of a shot than a pro could tell you!

If you think a pro can tell you that you just hit a 7 iron with 21.2* launch angle and 3700 rpm, and 1200 horizontal rpm...I'd like to meet that person. I'm not bashing pros (dont get that impression) but there is a very good reason why that technology is there and why it is used by pros and highly skilled amatures and your weekend duffer. It will tell you information that can make the game far easier with less effort.

The one thing that goes against hitting outdoors, is you do not get an exact measurement of dispersion, unless you hire some kid to put flags at every spot your ball lands. Yes it is nice that you can see your ball flight, but what is more important to you? Hitting a ball 3* lower than a current set, or 3% straighter and more accurate than your current set? I would choose the second option. In the sims the can go over each shot and see just how far it faded or drew, or how close it ended up to the center line.

I wouldn't focus too much attention on distance, because after all you have 14 clubs, if one of them isn't getting the old distance use a different club.

Simulators these days are very advanced, and many ppl suggest bringing in your 6 or 7 iron because most people can hit them well and can tell how high or low their trajector is which gives the fitter and you a starting point to base the reasoning behind changing to a shaft that has different characteristics.

Just my two cents by I am a certifier and also a Ping fitter and have been for about 4 years, I felt it was necessary to give you a fitters perspective. If in the end you choose to pay $85 (because thats what the pro charges to give up his/her 1 hour time) then by all means, but really...you would be far better to receive the fitting included with the clubs and take that $85 and have a lesson with your new sticks!

Thanks for that info, I really appreciate it. I thought a place like Kevin Haime's used the nflight simiulator when doing their club fittings? Is that a lot like what GT has in their stores?

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    I think they may use a launch monitor...not entirely sure on that. But the sims at GT give the majority of info required to make a proper choice, I know it tells you carry and total distance, launch angle, rpm, deviation from center, ball movement (how much fade and draw etc), shows club path..over all a pretty advanced system.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    I think that a good fitter will use a launch monitor like a flight scope or a trackman. These machines will have the ability to track the ball and the club data. From my personal experience the indoor simulators at Golftown never seem to give accurate spin numbers.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    Yes Kevin Haimes has the new Flight Scope that tells all.... Definitely better than GT and hitting into a screen........

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Well if you absolutely have to have an OEM club then forget what I am about to write. For me the right club has no name. Ball flight rules whether it'd be a component or an OEM club. Anyway Golfworks on Industrial has the Zelocity launch monitor, They also ahave the face fit adaptor. You can try different shafts from different companies and of different flexes with the same clubhead of different lofts. Best way to find the right combo in my opinion.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road

Store fitting vs CPGA fitting??

Hi folks,
    I just thought I would add my 2 cents in on this one.
    There are many so called club fitters in Ottawa, there are good and bad, both CPGA and not.
    I myself have been fitting golf equipment for over 10yrs.
    Everyone is offering custom club fitting, you just have to make sure that the person you are dealing with knows his business.
    Here is the basics provided by Golf Digest:
    How to spot an incompetent fitter

Launch monitors are marvelous machines, but if a fitter lacks proper knowledge of the golf swing, it'll be as valuable as having a chimp look at your X-rays. Here are five hints that fitters might have been selling sneakers two weeks ago:
    • They don't have you swing your current clubs first.
    • They don't use face impact tape to ascertainstrike-consistency patterns.
    • There is very limited grip selection.
    • The session takes less than 30 minutes
    • The final recommendation just happens to be in stock and on sale.

All major retail golf stores have some sort of Launch monitor, make sure that the fitter looks comfortable working with his machine.
    I have fit many ottawa golfers and continue to do so. I have been trained by Ping,Titleist, Mizuno. I have been to both Callaway and TaylorMade's fitting centers and worked with their master fitters.I am also certified by GolfWorks in both Repair and Fitting.
    All I can tell you, if you can make consistant contact 3 times in a row you can be fit properly for length, lie and grip size.
    Remember you pick the club not the fitter, and then you get fit not the other way around. We can suggest the type of head and shaft you need based on your golf ability, but you still pick the club that looks the best and feels the best to you.

Thanks for your time.
    Parbreaker04

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equip...#ixzz0qe2PrZq9
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=parbreaker04;363799]

• They don't use face impact tape to ascertainstrike-consistency patterns.
    Parbreaker04

QUOTE]

Impact tape is not an end in itself at least for me. I have this club where I make consistent centre face contact yet every ball ends up in right field.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    Flight scope would show your miss to the right
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information