CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copperdale

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road

Copperdale

Has anyone ever played Copperdale on Dunrobin road?
    He who hits last, walks alone

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    BigJohnny69 is a member there. He'll give you the best information.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Timbuktu
    There is a guy in my office that has nothing but bad things to say about that place.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuktu View Post
    There is a guy in my office that has nothing but bad things to say about that place.
    It's my understanding that things have changed quite a bit in recent years. Anyone who has "nothing but bad things" is likely going on 10-20 year old information. I remember when I was told I had to play the east course over at Outaouais or Canadian, both for the first time. I cringed both times but took the chance in spite of the 'feedback' I had heard from my father.

My father was nuts. First of all, Outaouais changed completely since he had last played, and so did Canadian. They were more than a pleasure to play.

This is not to say that Copperdale has made the transition from a cow pasture to a US Open quality course, but I always found that Copperdale's previous identity always had a stigma that was somewhat exaggerated. It is what it is, but there are SOME redeeming qualities to it! So there will be some good to be found (as opposed to the "nothing but bad things" your guy in the office has to report!)

AEberhard
    Can anyone update on the condition of the course? I know the new owners wanted to fix things up, but did they actually follow through? My buddy played there early this year when they just opened and he said that they were still working on the course like many of the bunkers didn't have sand and one of the holes, the green wasn't even open there was a hole on the fairway.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    That's how they played way back in the day, just hit it into rabbit holes. I hope the course doesn't keep going back in time to the point where they require everyone to hitting Guttie balls, and the green is our today's rough.

Quote Originally Posted by AEberhard View Post
    Can anyone update on the condition of the course? I know the new owners wanted to fix things up, but did they actually follow through? My buddy played there early this year when they just opened and he said that they were still working on the course like many of the bunkers didn't have sand and one of the holes, the green wasn't even open there was a hole on the fairway.

9 Iron kaziff is on a distinguished road kaziff's Avatar
    i just played copperdale yesterday and the greens are pretty good but take your money down the road to the marshes. copperdale has the nerve to charge $30 for a cart and $30 for green fees for the worst golf course in ottawa and the valley, "hands down" the marshes is $69 taxes in after 3pm any day, and if your thinking of copperdales twilight, they knock off a mere $6 from their green fees.

Timbuktu
    Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    It's my understanding that things have changed quite a bit in recent years. Anyone who has "nothing but bad things" is likely going on 10-20 year old information. I remember when I was told I had to play the east course over at Outaouais or Canadian, both for the first time. I cringed both times but took the chance in spite of the 'feedback' I had heard from my father.

My father was nuts. First of all, Outaouais changed completely since he had last played, and so did Canadian. They were more than a pleasure to play.

This is not to say that Copperdale has made the transition from a cow pasture to a US Open quality course, but I always found that Copperdale's previous identity always had a stigma that was somewhat exaggerated. It is what it is, but there are SOME redeeming qualities to it! So there will be some good to be found (as opposed to the "nothing but bad things" your guy in the office has to report!)

Actually he was a member last year, so I'd say that's pretty current thanks.

AEberhard
    Quote Originally Posted by kaziff View Post
    i just played copperdale yesterday and the greens are pretty good but take your money down the road to the marshes. copperdale has the nerve to charge $30 for a cart and $30 for green fees for the worst golf course in ottawa and the valley, "hands down" the marshes is $69 taxes in after 3pm any day, and if your thinking of copperdales twilight, they knock off a mere $6 from their green fees.
    That's why it's the best to walk you always get a way cheaper fee. If you didn't pay for the cart just the $30 how would you say the course is?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I don't mean to bash this course because someone owns it. But honestly I think it's one of the worst if not they worst in Ottawa. I personally wouldn't play it for $20. I played there last year with some guys from work and I lost two balls in the fairway (what I think it was fairway because the grass seemed slightly shorter than the grass beside it). Either way for $30 buy yourself 3 large buckets at a driving range.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    u could give me a free membership there and I would never play it.

sorry man, edgewood... oops i meant copperdale is the same as it was, edgewood. $30 sounds good for green fees, but its not worth it. mountain creek is also 100x better and they offer $30 for green fee and cart!!! edgewood has a very long way to go before they can justify charging that kind of money to play golf in a farmers field

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    That's gotta be the worst insult a golf course could take...ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    u could give me a free membership there and I would never play it.

AEberhard
    Quote Originally Posted by kaziff View Post
    sorry man, edgewood... oops i meant copperdale is the same as it was, edgewood. $30 sounds good for green fees, but its not worth it. mountain creek is also 100x better and they offer $30 for green fee and cart!!! edgewood has a very long way to go before they can justify charging that kind of money to play golf in a farmers field
    Yeah I ended up trying it out to see what this place was really like and it definitely is not worth $30 right now. Many holes in the fairway have patches of no grass. They don't have an irrigation system which I think hurts them big time during the dry spells.
    The Greens were in pretty good shape, the course itself though is not very interesting the front 9 is very flat and boring. The back 9 is a little more interesting. Geography is definitely not on there side. My father played there 10 years ago and we tried it out togethe, he said it was a much great improvement then before, but easily not worth it when you can play other courses for the same amount of money.
    This place would not be bad if the owners drop some cash on an irrigation system and some grass seed!

told ya, they are also in the best shape right now you will ever see them in

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Has anyone played Copperdale recently? What sort of shape is it in? What courses does it compare to in the area?

Lob Wedge birdy_chaser is on a distinguished road birdy_chaser's Avatar
    I am also curious about this course. Played once in the spring and it was pretty rough but had some nice greens. I found the layout in the front pretty plain but the back has a very interesting layout. I want to play it again but not if it's in awful shape ??? Everything is getting greener these days, hopefully this course is too !!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The greens are in rough shape. This dry summer has been very hard on the course. They are investing a lot of time in trying to improve them but I fear it will take most of the rest of the season to repair them. Don't get me wrong, the course is still playable, but there are some bare and burnt patches on the greens.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup leftygolfguy is on a distinguished road
    On the bright side, from a cost perspective:
    1 round at copperdale+ 1 round at loch march = 2 rounds at an average course, and the service is always good.

I do like the lay out of the course, but while it's certainly playable, IMHO the conditions are seldom going to be what most in the area have come to expect.

Not sure if that's a comment on the course or the golfers.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I played it last week and even though it is not expensive I would not play it again this summer, too dry, cannot find a decent lie in the fairway, poor greens, they have paid the price for the drought
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information