100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Modified Stableford Scoring Systems

Stableford Competitions

Scoring in Stableford competitions is determined by assigning points in relation to a fixed score on each hole. Commonly, we get points as follows:
    0 - double bogey
    1 – bogey
    2 – par
    3 – birdie
    4 – eagle
    5 – double eagle

The recent post by dickyhip in the Rules section and in watching The International on TV, got me thinking about local Intersectional Team qualifying, and the use of Stableford points that most clubs use to determine their teams.

Many clubs modify the Stableford system, awarding an extra point for a birdie( 4 points ) and perhaps another extra point for an eagle (5 or 6 points), with the reasoning being that because birdies win most holes in match play competition, that it is better to have golfers on the team that make a lot of birdies, than golfers who make a lot of pars. I used to think this way, but no longer. The reality is that more holes are lost by making bogeys than are won by making birdies, so why reward the birdie makers in the qualifying rounds, when in fact pars win more holes than birdies?

Previous to this year, we determined our Mens’ Night winners via Stableford points with the extra points going to the birdie and eagle makers. To the Stableford points, awarded for gross scores only, we added on the individual’s mens’ night handicap. What happened was that the “A” class golfers were winning a disproportionate number of times because it’s the better players that make the birdies and get the extra points, not the “C” class golfers, who struggle to even make a couple of pars, and get no extra reward for doing so.

The obvious solution was to do away with the Stableford system, or use the proper one without the modifications. This year, we chose to do away with the Stableford system and now the winners are spread around all the classes of players, not just the “A’s.”

Also, like dickyhip Captain’s Cup competition, we did the same yesterday, using the modified Stableford system, (4 for birdie, 6 for eagle) but, the points were determined by NET scores, not gross. Now, the scoring is grossly, (pun intended), skewed toward the higher handicap golfers, who, if they make a make a bogey and have a handicap higher than 18, will end up with a net birdie and 4 points. A par for them, becomes an eagle, 6 points. It is a lot easier for a 27 handicapper to make a par(net eagle) that for an “A” class golfer to make a natural eagle. Therefore, IMO, this system is terribly unfair. The winner apparently earned 52 points. My even par round of 72 got me 36 points. To win I would have had to score a 9 birdie, 9 par, 63, and a new course record. Not likely.

The PGA Tour International tournament being played in Colorado today, awards 5, 2, 0, -1, -3, for eagle, birdie, par, bogey and double bogey or worse. From my point of view, the flaw here is that the organizers want players to play aggressively and go for birdies and eagles which is more exciting for the fans, but on the other hand, they penalize them if they gamble and are not successful, by taking points off.

Lastly, a few years ago our senior club championship was played by Stableford points because, as the organizer admitted, “It makes it more even, that way.” In the first round my 75(33 points) was 5 strokes lower than the next golfer who scored 80,( 31 points) but I had a lead of only 2 points because he made two, 8’s. Conceiveably, in the last round, if he scored 72 (36 points) and I scored 75 (33 points), he would have won the club championship 67 to 66, even though I scored less than him, 150 to 152.

My point is that using modified Stableford systems deliberately favours one group of golfers over another and is unfair. Using the system as outlined in the rule book, is fine. I would be interested in hearing how Stableford points are used at your club and if you see the same or other flaws that I do.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    At my club we use Stableford only for Intersectional Qualifying.

Bogey= 1 point
    Par= 2 points
    Birdie= 3 points
    Eagle= 5 points

It's all about looking for the most consistant players when getting the team together. Consistancy is crucial in match-play (Intersectionals).

As for the Club Championship, we go Stoke Play. You put together two solid rounds back-to-back and you have a chance on winning your class. More people get a shot that way as opposed to having the same "consistant" players winning every year, IMO.

The Club Champion also gets a free spot on the Intersectional team for the following year (no qualifying needed). Call it a Captain's Pick.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    At my club we use Stableford only for Intersectional Qualifying.

Bogey= 1 point
    Par= 2 points
    Birdie= 3 points
    Eagle= 5 points

It's all about looking for the most consistant players when getting the team together. Consistancy is crucial in match-play (Intersectionals).

As for the Club Championship, we go Stoke Play. You put together two solid rounds back-to-back and you have a chance on winning your class. More people get a shot that way as opposed to having the same "consistant" players winning every year, IMO.

The Club Champion also gets a free spot on the Intersectional team for the following year (no qualifying needed). Call it a Captain's Pick.
    Knowing that you are/were Club Captain, I was hoping that you would offer an opinion. Would you explain the logic behind the extra point for an eagle relative to my point that pars win more holes than birdies or eagles, so why reward the latter?

Making the CC an automatic member of the following year's Intersectional is a great gesture. When I was a member of Outaouais in the 60's and 70's they did that as well. However, during the years that I won the CC there, I always played in the qualifying rounds because playing for something that counts is better for your game than playing for the fun of it.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Knowing that you are/were Club Captain, I was hoping that you would offer an opinion. Would you explain the logic behind the extra point for an eagle relative to my point that pars win more holes than birdies or eagles, so why reward the latter?

Making the CC an automatic member of the following year's Intersectional is a great gesture. When I was a member of Outaouais in the 60's and 70's they did that as well. However, during the years that I won the CC there, I always played in the qualifying rounds because playing for something that counts is better for your game than playing for the fun of it.
    By all means we let the CC play the qualifying rounds if he chooses to.

As for the extra point for an eagle, I don't know why we do that. I'm not too concerned about it because eagles are extremely rare at my club (par 5's aren't reachable- in most cases). 4 points for an eagle would make more sense though.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    At my club for men's night, they use a modified Stableford, the only deviation is 5 points for an eagle (rather than 4) and a whopping 10 points for a double eagle or hole in one! I think this is decent, and contributes to the fun of the men's night while not skewing the scoring in the direction of any handicap class, as every player starts with 1/2 of their handicap in points, up to the max points 14.

For the intersectional qualifying, though, it is strictly stableford rules unmodified. I agree with BC that you will win more in match play with a consistent par player than a hack like me can follow up a bird with 6 bogeys.

Thread Information