CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Intersectional 2010

Hello people

Let's have it. It's that time of year again, qualifying rounds for the club team. Hautes Plains has our first round today. It's 2 out of 3 rounds. Let's hear other clubs and how you guys are doing.

Thom

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    How did you do today?
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

5 Iron Tbone is on a distinguished road Tbone's Avatar
    Calabogie has qualifiying June 12-13. We are hosting this year. I think my buddy Ray took you last year at Glen Mar Thom.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Shot a decent round yesterday and a good one today. I think I'm in.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Played like crap all weekend but managed to get enough points to make our team.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Calabogie has qualifiying June 12-13. We are hosting this year. I think my buddy Ray took you last year at Glen Mar Thom.
    Yes, i remember that Ray played very well and I played very badly. My game shows up once in a while these days. I will have a good to great stretch for a while and all of a sudden it's gone again. Good thing i don't make a living out of this game!

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    How did you do today?
    I did OK, i think. I was tied for 3rd after the first round. The 2nd round didn't last very long, i was even par after 5 holes then the double showed up! I ended up tied for 10th after two rounds.
    Next Saturday i have to shoot a decent round to move up the ladder. Good thing is my first round was good and with 2 out of 3 counted, i just need a decent round next Saturday. We'll see, will keep the board posted. Played with Big Easy the 1st round and we were OK. 2nd round i played with the leaders and we all played like hackers, pretty sad to see.
    Oh well that's how this game is. And at Hautes Plaines if you don't have it, it's A LONG DAY!
    A couple of this forum members are playing in this but i will let them report their rounds.
    Congrat to Big Easy, i think you'll make it. Also congrat to Garth M. I think he'll make it too.

Thom

You played a very solid first round. Your putting was on fire and you could have easily shot around par. At Hautes Plaines, there is always one or more doubles waiting for you if you hit a somewhat errant shot off the tee though (I know what I'm talking about!!!). I'm sure you'll make it without a problem. You secured enough point already with your first round. You just having to shoot a relatively decent round on Saturday to confirm your participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn View Post
    I did OK, i think. I was tied for 3rd after the first round. The 2nd round didn't last very long, i was even par after 5 holes then the double showed up! I ended up tied for 10th after two rounds.
    Next Saturday i have to shoot a decent round to move up the ladder. Good thing is my first round was good and with 2 out of 3 counted, i just need a decent round next Saturday. We'll see, will keep the board posted. Played with Big Easy the 1st round and we were OK. 2nd round i played with the leaders and we all played like hackers, pretty sad to see.
    Oh well that's how this game is. And at Hautes Plaines if you don't have it, it's A LONG DAY!
    A couple of this forum members are playing in this but i will let them report their rounds.
    Congrat to Big Easy, i think you'll make it. Also congrat to Garth M. I think he'll make it too.

Thom

As promised, here is the update: i made the team! I shot a good round 74 today. I was 4 over in the front but even par in the back, only ONE shank showed up on 6th at 90 yard from the fairway and ended up with a double! I was one over par after that though. There are lots of low scores today! Good thing i had 74, i thought high 70 would make it but it wasn't the case. 59 points went to the play off for no. 9 & 10 on the team.

Thom

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Congratulations on a job well done.

As promised, here is the update: i made the team! I shot a good round 74 today. I was 4 over in the front but even par in the back, only ONE shank showed up on 6th at 90 yard from the fairway and ended up with a double! I was one over par after that though. There are lots of low scores today! Good thing i had 74, i thought high 70 would make it but it wasn't the case. 59 points went to the play off for no. 9 & 10 on the team.

Thom
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Shot a decent round yesterday and a good one today. I think I'm in.
    I was pretty certain I had secured enough points to make the team but ended up having to play extra holes. I made an eight-footer on the second extra hole to finally make it. Most of the guys shot very good rounds (thanks to the lift-clean-place rule... even in the rough!) but I didn't. Since I was sure I had enough points, when I made some mistakes in my third round, I pretty much decided to do some experiments thinking I didn't have to improve my position anyway. What a shock when I finished my round only to find out that I had to fo in "overtime"!!! In other years, 59 points was enough to be in the middle of the pack....

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Congratulations. I bet you don't ease off the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I was pretty certain I had secured enough points to make the team but ended up having to play extra holes. I made an eight-footer on the second extra hole to finally make it. Most of the guys shot very good rounds (thanks to the lift-clean-place rule... even in the rough!) but I didn't. Since I was sure I had enough points, when I made some mistakes in my third round, I pretty much decided to do some experiments thinking I didn't have to improve my position anyway. What a shock when I finished my round only to find out that I had to fo in "overtime"!!! In other years, 59 points was enough to be in the middle of the pack....
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Well done to everyone who made their teams - Congrats guys!!

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road

Help; Lots of qualifying criteria questions.

Hello;
    I am wondering what is the system you use to qualify?
    I assume most use a modified stableford;
    bogies 1
    par 2
    birdies 3
    eagles 5????

Has anyone used total strokes?

Also do any members get exemptions and are automatically on the team? If so how many?

Is every club allowed to use whatever format they want?

I ask this because I have heard rumours that the qualifying may be stroke play and half the spots are pre qualified at the club I have joined.

thanks

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Like Big Easy said I too thought my 58 was enough to be in the middle of the pack but I put in a good round of 71 (+1) finishing double-birdie-birdie for a 2 round total of 66pts.

Nice to finally make the team at Hautes-Plaines after 3 unsuccessful years!

Congrats to Thom for getting his game in gear just in time, as well as the rest of the crew.

G.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    Hello;
    bogies 1, par 2, birdies 3, eagles 5????
    Also do any members get exemptions and are automatically on the team? If so how many?
    -Clubs decide their own format.
    -Some may have exemptions. For example, club champion from previous year.
    -Most used Stableford points. We, Greensmere, do NOT modify the Stableford point system.

Let's have it. It's that time of year again, qualifying rounds for the club team. Hautes Plains has our first round today. It's 2 out of 3 rounds. Let's hear other clubs and how you guys are doing.
    Well done in making your team.

We have completed two of three rounds. Off to a good start with 69 - 72 for 75 points. Seems that we are having a changing of the guard in that there will be a lot of 20 somethings making the final roster.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Lyle, who's in so far??

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    Lyle, who's in so far??
    With certainty, Andrew, (70) Darcy, (69) Paul, (66) and I. Final round play for the other spots should be interesting.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road

Thom

Was the play-off scored Stableford, stroke or match play?
    He who hits last, walks alone

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH View Post
    [I]
    Was the play-off scored Stableford, stroke or match play?

Sudden death with two spots to fill and three players. A fellow competitor made par on the first hole and we both made bogeys. The guy with a par immediately made it to the team. On the second extra hole, I made a par and the other guy made a bogey and got eliminated. He is still our first alternate though.

Lob Wedge sam58 is on a distinguished road

Our system in Buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    Hello;
    bogies 1
    par 2
    birdies 3
    eagles 5????

I ask this because I have heard rumours that the qualifying may be stroke play and half the spots are pre qualified at the club I have joined.

thanks
    In Buckingham, the club champion from the previous year is automatically in. The 9 other members of the team will be determined through a 4 rounds qualification.

The point system is the following: bogey 1pt., par 3, birdie 5, eagle 7.

We take the 3 best results of the 4 rounds and the tie breaker for the last position available would be the player with the highest total of points in the qualifying round.

Quote Originally Posted by sam58 View Post
    In Buckingham, the club champion from the previous year is automatically in. The 9 other members of the team will be determined through a 4 rounds qualification.
    The point system is the following: bogey 1pt., par 3, birdie 5, eagle 7.
    A number of clubs use a modified Stableford system such as this, but what is the logic behind an extra point for a birdie and two for an eagle? The reality in Intersectional matches is that pars win many more holes than birdies, and how many eagles are actually made?

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    I actually prefer the modified stableford as mentioned above. Pars may win more matches, but I think it would actually be harder to beat an opponent who alternated birdie-bogey-birdie-bogey, etc... rather than 18 straight pars. If you agree with that, that giving more weight to players that make more birdies does make sense when it comes to qualifying. Not to mention the mental strain of playing someone who's game is very up and down - you never know what you are going to get from hole to hole - that could drive you nuts! If they just keep making pars then at least you know what you need to do win. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    I actually prefer the modified stableford as mentioned above. Pars may win more matches, but (1)I think it would actually be harder to beat an opponent who alternated birdie-bogey-birdie-bogey, etc... rather than 18 straight pars. If you agree with that, that giving more weight to players that make more birdies does make sense when it comes to qualifying. Not to mention the mental strain of playing someone who's game is very up and down - you never know what you are going to get from hole to hole - that could drive you nuts! If they just keep making pars then at least you know what you need to do win.
    (1) In fact, they would tie.
    (2) Having played Intersectional matches every year for 35 plus years, I assure you that pars win holes.
    (3) For the average good player, there are still more bogeys made than birdies.

Yes, there are exceptional rounds played, but they are not the rule.

I certainly don't have 35 years of intersectional experience (hoping for my first year... this year, LOL) so I will defer to you. I only figured that, In match play, if shot 75 with several birdies and bogeys/doubles, I think you would have a better chance of winning your match than if you made 15 pars and 3 bogeys (hence more weight on that in the qualifying). Really, if you were just doing a stableford format, you could use your adjusted handicap score as you only count doubles for that as well.

PS - I know that if, in my example, the birdie-bogey player and the par-par player were playing against each other they would tie - I hope you were being sarcastic when you mentioned that

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    I certainly don't have 35 years of intersectional experience (hoping for my first year... this year, LOL) so I will defer to you. I only figured that, In match play, if shot 75 with several birdies and bogeys/doubles, I think you would have a better chance of winning your match than if you made 15 pars and 3 bogeys (hence more weight on that in the qualifying). Really, if you were just doing a stableford format, you could use your adjusted handicap score as you only count doubles for that as well.

PS - I know that if, in my example, the birdie-bogey player and the par-par player were playing against each other they would tie - I hope you were being sarcastic when you mentioned that
    Yes, it was a little needle and I did not mean to sound like a #$%#&#

Another factor to consider is the level of your club's Intersectional team. If you are near the top, that is, A, B or C, then more holes will be won with birdies than if your team is at J, K or L. While the lower levels always have a few very good players on their list, they generally, don't have the depth in the back end that the higher level teams have, where everyone position is occupied with low handicapped players. But if you make your team, and I hope that you do, I still believe that you will find that a steady, par making player, will not only win, but will cause what you described previously as "mental strain" on your opponents, because, "He never misses."

At what level is your team?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    We were supposed to play at Mount St.Marie this year but apparently they are under new ownership and have no interest in hosting so I am sure what is going to happen
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

At what level is your team?
    I play at Madawaska, I think we are in G this year.

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    Arnprior Team Decided today! Congrats to those who made it!

Thread Information