CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Tour players putting practice swings

So watching a lot of golf on TV I noticed that the pros, when practicing their putting swings, swing a lot harder than they will be hitting it, then when they move up a couple inches, they hit it the proper speed. Anyone know why they swing so hard/fast? Is it to get loosened up or something?

When I do my practice swings I might do one that is too light, and then another one that I think is the right speed, but that's about it. I never swing it as hard or quick as they do. Anyways, thought that was interesting and have no idea why they do it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I do something similar. I'll take two practice putt swings without stopping and without regards to my actual intended speed. It's just a simple way to get relaxed and get a feel for the putter. I then step up to the ball, take a look down my intended line, then to the hole to gauge what speed I need, then make my putting stroke. It works for me.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    So watching a lot of golf on TV I noticed that the pros, when practicing their putting swings, swing a lot harder than they will be hitting it, then when they move up a couple inches, they hit it the proper speed. Anyone know why they swing so hard/fast? Is it to get loosened up or something?

When I do my practice swings I might do one that is too light, and then another one that I think is the right speed, but that's about it. I never swing it as hard or quick as they do. Anyways, thought that was interesting and have no idea why they do it
    It's most likely to get the feeling of smooth acceleration on the forward stroke, because deceleration is a putting killer.

A theory I have is that it may also have something to do with muscle activation, similar to what sprinters do before running. If you've ever noticed a sprinter jumping and bringing his legs to his chest, or sprinting in place, it's because they are priming the large muscles of the legs and core for the task at hand. Basically, warming up the engine. It wouldn't surprise me if this type of thinking, obvoiusly on a much smaller scale, is employed by players to "activate" the large muscles of the trunk prior to putting. Pro golf is a science now, you never know what they're trying these days.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Lob Wedge Muligan is on a distinguished road Muligan's Avatar
    Dave Stockton is telling most of his Tour players to NOT take a practice stroke. He says it is a mental distraction and that a player needs to "see" the line and bot take their eyes off it. A practice stroke prevents this. Stockton is having success with Mickleson and several other big name players right now.
    "Golf is the only sport where the most feared opponent is you."
    -Anonymous

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Interesting, I've been having a problem with distance and found the technique of taking a couple swings while looking at the cup to judge the speed to help, although at this point I don't really have a routine or anything so I'll try this out as well and see how it works. I have another lesson next week where I'll be working on my putting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
    Dave Stockton is telling most of his Tour players to NOT take a practice stroke. He says it is a mental distraction and that a player needs to "see" the line and bot take their eyes off it. A practice stroke prevents this. Stockton is having success with Mickleson and several other big name players right now.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
    my putts would all be short if i didn't take a practice swing. i need to rev the engine a few times and stare down the hole to feel confident about a putt.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information