CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Testing the condition of a hazard

This came up recently, I have read the rules and I find it difficult what constitutes "testing" the conditions of a hazard. Would rocking your club back and forth in a hazard be considered "testing" where the club is brushing the growth of the hazard since one could determine how easily the club could get through it?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yes it would. The only accepted reason to touch the hazard before playing is to balance yourself - using the club as a cane.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Cool good to know.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Can you do this when entering a trap as then you would know the condition of the sand?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you truly need to use a club as a cane, yes you can.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Well I guess it's just about time for my numb leg problems to start kicking in

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    If you truly need to use a club as a cane, yes you can.

1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar
    I have a couple queries along these lines...

1.) When a person sets up to shot in the bunker and 'digs' their feet in for purchase, could this be considered testing the sand? Technically doing this gives you a feel for what the sand is like, and i am sure If I played as much as pros do, I would be able to pretty much tell sand consistency just from shuffling my feet.

2) Also is there a standard way to enter a bunker, aka to go basically straight in, to your ball disturbing as little sand as possible, or could one technically walk around in the bunker any which way to get to the ball, which would also probably give the person a good idea of the consistency.

Yes, I think I know this one, digging in can be considered testing, like a baseball player digs in at home plate.
    Lefty Lucas

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=infinity13;361309]I have a couple queries along these lines...

1.) When a person sets up to shot in the bunker and 'digs' their feet in for purchase, could this be considered testing the sand? Technically doing this gives you a feel for what the sand is like, and i am sure If I played as much as pros do, I would be able to pretty much tell sand consistency just from shuffling my feet.[quote]

Q. What is meant by "test the condition of the hazard" in Rule 13-4a?
    A. The term covers all actions by which the player could gain more information about the hazard than could be gained from taking his stance for the stroke to be made, bearing in mind that a certain amount of digging in with the feet in the sand or soil is permitted when taking the stance for a stroke.
    Examples of actions that would not constitute testing the condition of the hazard include the following:
    • digging in with the feet for a stance, including for a practice swing, anywhere in the hazard or in a similar hazard;

2) Also is there a standard way to enter a bunker, aka to go basically straight in, to your ball disturbing as little sand as possible, or could one technically walk around in the bunker any which way to get to the ball, which would also probably give the person a good idea of the consistency.
    There is nothing to prevent you taking a circuitous route to the ball unless it is for the purpose of testing the condition. If the sides are steep and high at the nearest point of entry or to avoid another players ball, a longer route would be justified. But I would be very suspicious of anyone walking around the perimeter inside the bunker.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    This came up recently, I have read the rules and I find it difficult what constitutes "testing" the conditions of a hazard. Would rocking your club back and forth in a hazard be considered "testing" where the club is brushing the growth of the hazard since one could determine how easily the club could get through it?
    That may or may not be considered to be 'testing'. It depends on how it is done.
    See http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules...ion-13/#13-4/4

You must not touch the ground itself in the hazard with your club but grass is not the ground.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    That may or may not be considered to be 'testing'. It depends on how it is done.

You must not touch the ground itself in the hazard with your club but grass is not the ground.
    Yesterday I was IN the hazard to the left of #18, Greensmere-Legacy. Without grounding my club, I took two slow motion backswings, and my club touched several branches on the way back, however, none broke, no leaves were knocked off and no branches were permanently displaced. Since no loose impediments were touched and the area of my intended swing was NOT improved, no testing of the hazard was done.

Even Bower approved.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post

In this situation then I would say that these swing arcs did not constitute testing the hazard as they bent the grass but it was so long it would not have supported his club.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information