100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

X-out on a hole - what to enter for HC purposes?

I was playing in an event at my home course. It was a tournament called the May Monthly.

Long story short, I eventually X'ed myself on a hole taking myself out of the tournament. I presume I still put in a tournament score in the handicap? And just count a double for that X'ed hole?

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    You should put in your ESC max for that hole I believe. This varies depending on your Index.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    I was playing in an event at my home course. It was a tournament called the May Monthly.

Long story short, I eventually X'ed myself on a hole taking myself out of the tournament. I presume I still put in a tournament score in the handicap? And just count a double for that X'ed hole?
    yes if your handicap is less than 18
    You only get out of something what you put into it

5 Iron priorlad is on a distinguished road
    Equitable Stroke Control

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make Handicap Factors more representative of a player's potential scoring ability. ESC sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap. ESC is used only when a player's actual or most likely score exceeds their maximum number based on the table below but is applied to all scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores. There is no limit to the number of holes on which a player may adjust their score.
    Note: In other countries, the system of ESC may be different than the RCGA system, (i.e., USGA system). When a score is made under a system of ESC different to the RCGA ESC system, that score must be adjusted to the RCGA ESC system before it is entered as an adjusted score under the RCGA Handicap System.

A Handicap Factor determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed an RCGA Handicap Factor.

EQUITABLE STROKE CONTROL
    Course Handicap
    Maximum Number On Any Hole

0 or plus
    1 over par

1 through 18
    2 over par

19 through 32
    3 over par

33 and over
    4 over par

I should have said I was familliar with the ESC guidelines, and yes, I'd be a double max for any given hole (11 index).

I figured I was to apply my ESC on that hole (par 4 so a 6). But I just wasn't sure if tournaments are handled differently when they are incomplete.

In fact, being an incomplete hole, do you post your ESC max (double bog), or do I just look at what handicap hole it is and if my HC would have netted me a stroke, then I post a bogey. Sort of like if you played 17 out of 18 holes and ran out of light, you'd post whatever your handicap would dictate on 18. (Stroke hole - post a bogey; non-Stroke hole, post a par)

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I think you record the par plus your ESC because you did play the hole...you just X'd out.

That is what I have done in the past.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    In tournament stroke play, if you X-out a hole, you are disqualified... better to swallow your pride and card a double digit score than X-out if you want to place at all.
    Wannabe Golf

I did dq myself. I was asking about firstly, if I put in a score at all, and secondly, what score would I enter.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I seem to recall that if you started to play a hole and picked up, you mark your most likely score - so if it was a par 4 and you were 40 yards from the green in 2 you would mark a 5 (pitch on and 2 putts). I think this is to prevent people from artificially increasing their handicaps by entering the ESC score rather than a better score (5 vs 6 in the above example). Likewise if you had stick handled it down the fairway and lay 5 on the same hole and were 40 yards off the green, you would mark 8 and adjust it to 6 for ESC.

Also I thought if you did not actually play a hole (or holes) you record the ESC score for those holes.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you pick up after exceeding esc or if you just exceed esc - record esc.

If you pick up before you reach esc or if you skip a hole, it's par plus any hcp strokes you are entitled to.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    If you pick up after exceeding esc or if you just exceed esc - record esc.

If you pick up before you reach esc or if you skip a hole, it's par plus any hcp strokes you are entitled to.
    Not quite. If you do not complete a hole, you determine your most likely score. ESC is then applied to this score to determine what you will enter for handicap purposes. If you do not play the hole at all, it is entered as par plus any handicap stroke(s) to which you are entitled. Par plus is not a factor for holes which you have partially played.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaPat View Post
    Not quite. ... Par plus is not a factor for holes which you have partially played.
    Thanks for the correction Papa. My mistake.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information