100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar

Friend coming up to Ottawa.. Where to play?

A buddy of mine is coming up to Ottawa and want to take him to a nice course in the area. Looking to spend about 45-50. What would you recommend for a good time, yet challenging course. He wants to be 'wowed'

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    For that price range, I'd say Outaouais.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    in that general area... lets say no more than 60

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Outaouais is one of my very favourites. Also Renfrew. Le Sorcier.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    For the "wow" factor, it would be Le Sorcier, Montebello or Smuggler's Glen. With some planning and flexibility on tee times, they can be had in your price range. However, it is debatable whether Montebello or Smuggler's Glen (or Renfrew for that matter) would be considered "in the area".

Stonebridge and Outaouais are also good options - I don't think they "wow" anyone but they are very nice courses nonetheless.

Personally I would choose Le Sorcier. Layout is great, conditions are good and prices are reasonable. And its in Quebec - which for some visitors to Ottawa is like an exotic adventure in itself!

I am a huge fan of sorcier... Does anyone have any coupons for it they are wanting to get rid of?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    I am a huge fan of sorcier... Does anyone have any coupons for it they are wanting to get rid of?
    I have a couple of 2-for-1 coupons, but they are good for Monday to Thursday only and expire on Monday, May 31st. Does that work for you?

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I'd put a vote in for Greensmere. I really like this course. I haven't played it since they broke it up into 2 separate 18's...and from the looks of their new score card it looks like they've done a mash up of some of the holes that comprised the old nines to really confuse me, but I would say your friend will go away pretty happy having played there.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I would say either Renfrew or Le Sorcier if he wants to be wowed for between $40 and $60.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Sorcier, Renfrew, Outaouais in that order for me.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    in that general area... lets say no more than 60
    if you buy the 18-hole Pass Booklet at Loch March and you will be paying $61.25 each!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I have a couple of 2-for-1 coupons, but they are good for Monday to Thursday only and expire on Monday, May 31st. Does that work for you?
    Thanks but he is coming up on the weekend. He is really pressing me for stonebridge.... I may cave

If the choice is Le Sorcier or Stonebridge, go for Stonebridge. It's a much better course IMHO.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Agreed, but I might be a little biased since for some reason I don't really like Le Sorcier

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If the choice is Le Sorcier or Stonebridge, go for Stonebridge. It's a much better course IMHO.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    For just a liiiiittle more coin, you could go to Loch March. Fun, challenging, and almost certainly one of the prettiest courses in the area.
    Wannabe Golf

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Disagree

I quite like SB but LS has a bigger wow factor and way different than anything else in the area.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Too many goofy holes at Le Sorcier for me but as with all things, it comes down to preference.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    On a bit of a sidebar, I think it is shapping up to be a pretty busy weekend at local courses. The weather looks great, and with the Marathon/race weekend there are a lot of people in town. My brother and a few other friends are in town to run the marathon, so we are playing Stonebridge on Saturday morning. All this to say, that if you haven't decided and booked something yet, you may want to get on it. Enjoy your round.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Of course I'm going to suggest Renfrew, but I realize its a bit of a hike from Ottawa. I like Outaouais quite a bit, too. You're not really going to go wrong with Stonebridge, Sorcier or Outaouais if you're keeping it close to town.
    Andrew

Ended up choosing stonebridge. Thanks or the suggestions. He ended up doing research on a bunch of the ones mentioned and wants to play there.... Oh well. I haven't seen it yet this year so I am interested

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Ended up choosing stonebridge. Thanks or the suggestions. He ended up doing research on a bunch of the ones mentioned and wants to play there.... Oh well. I haven't seen it yet this year so I am interested
    If you played it last year, and not yet this year, then you are in for a pleasant surprise. Other than some verti-cutting and seeding of the greens that was done over a week ago and is filling in nicely, the course is in better condition now then it was at any point last year. Enjoy your round.

Thread Information