100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

How Ultimate can help your Golf

I was watching the Big Fix the other day on the Golf channel, and came across a good tip to avoid the "over the top" move.

The suggestion was to throw a frisbee with your trail hand, but not in the normal way.... but "backhand". So instead of flicking the frisbee out in the normal fashion (thumb first) to throw one with your hand upside down, pinky first. That feeling is what you should be getting with a golf swing........

If you've ever played Ulimate Frisbee before, I think that's called throwing the hammer..... a backhand shot basically.

I played yesterday and found it helped me a lot. I had a lot of good drives (which is a 180 from last summer!) and didn't slice much at all.

The theory is with this motion and feeling, you're training your hand to move the club more on an in-out path, rather then coming down off plane......

I probably am not explaining it as well as I should...... but it worked for me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    An easier thought for people might be pretend like you are trying to skip a stone...that is my thought anyway.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    An easier thought for people might be pretend like you are trying to skip a stone...that is my thought anyway.

yes, go with his idea, much simpler to explain, lol.........

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    Didn't see the show, but are you emphazing a lot of right hand action. I thought the right hand was only along for the ride.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I think the drills are just trying to get the point across that the elbow gets tucked and your arm swings inside-out as opposed to coming over the top.

Another one similar to this that I just read in Golf Digest is:
    1. Setup holding the club only with your leading hand, then with your back hand bring it up to the how it would be at the top of your swing, and try to throw a ball as far as you can by going underneath your lead arm while it stays in setup position.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Called the flick

I saw the show the other night also. When Breed was showing how throwing the frisbee on the forehand side, it is called 'a flick'. A hammer throw in Ultimate is when you throw it like a baseball throw from behind you head and ends up upside down. Anyways... I quit playing competitive Ultimate to play golf and I was able to flick a frisbee farther than my backhand. When I think about the flick and golf swing they are very similiar. To throw a flick you need a good shoulder turn, hip rotation, a tucked right elbow and lastly, fast hand and wrist flick. I was able to flick a disc the length of the field (down wind) and it really helped my golf swing.
    However I have played ultimate then golf right after and was pulling and hooking the first couple holes cause I felt to loose and really hand-sie..
    Micheal Breed was right!
    Bite, Bite!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The flick:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UHbwWqPUw0

I don't like this analogy. The hands should be passive at all times. Like Tigershot said above, if you are hand-see in golf you will be hitting it right and left. Timing will be hard to maintain and accuracy will suffer immensely.

Set you wrists at the top and let centrifugal force release them past the ball.

On great drill I saw lately is the reverse grip swing. If you are a slicer try this. Set up to the ball as you would normally but reverse your hands (grip). For a right-hander your right hand should be on the top of the club and your left on the bottom. Swing a few practice swings slowly to feel the natural release of the club and accelerate to your normal swing speed. Change to your natural grip, step up to the ball and swing away. You will naturally release the club, something most amateurs don’t do.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information