100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Falconridge

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar

Falconridge

Can anyone tell me how Falconridge fairs as a track? Similar to what other courses in the Ottawa area? Conditions?

I have never played it before and am thinking of giving it a shot (or maybe 'shots'!) on Friday with a buddy.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Eagle DanCan59 is on a distinguished road DanCan59's Avatar

Falcon Ridge

Played it last week for the first time and will never go back. Conditions weren't great and the course was really boring. Allot better courses to spend your money on.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    As a horse track it might be perfect. At least that was my assessment the last time I played it a number of years ago. There are some very interesting holes and a few goofy ones. However, my big beef with the course was the condition of the greens. They were, at the time, abysmal. If they have improved them, then the course might be worth it depending on what is being charged for green fees. If not, I would stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Can anyone tell me how Falconridge fairs as a track?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Falconridge

That's good enough for me. I play 'em to not be bored and, this year, all courses should be in great shape! Much appreciated. Too many other possibilities available.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Not that you need another opinion, but I'm in agreement with the other posters
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    it's very flat (boring), with the exception of the last hole which is like climbing mount everest. i never knew which way to hit my tee shots. very confusing layout.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    It is Terrible IMHO

Timbuktu
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    It is Terrible IMHO

co-signed

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    . Worst course in the Ottawa area IMO as well.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Never played there, and by the sounds of it, never will

Ok - Falconridge...now officially of my 'Bucket List'. Heading out to Montebello instead. Now, we're talking!!!! Thanks guys!

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    It's not the worst course in the area, but it's probably the worst value for money. It's a dull track, with patchy greens (at least it was last year). And it charges $44 (peak weekend), which is a dollar less than Manderley and two dollars more than Metcalfe. Both of these are much more fun ways to spend your dollars and only an extra 10 minutes drive.

I wonder how FalconRidge is compared to say Poplar Grove. When I first started playing golf 3 years back I'd go there to play 18 after work because I knew it would be dead and I sucked so I didn't want anyone watching me. I don't remember it that well but I think it was on the lower end of the golf courses in Ottawa. If someone could compare the two then I'd know exactly how bad FalconRidge really is.

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    Falconridge is quite a bit better, but you can play Poplar for $25 just now at peak weekend rates and, as you say, you can get round it quickly and quietly midweek for $20 ($15 if you're RM). I wouldn't rush to do either, but I can imagine why someone might go for a 3pm tee-off on a Wednesday at Poplar (if they only had 150 minutes to play).

I've only played Poplar's pitch and putt this year, with my kids and they charged me $16 for my 8 year old to play the 9 holes, which I thought was a bit of a disgrace.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Come on now, it's a little harsh to call it the worst track in the area. True, it's not the most inspired design and conditions do tend to be below par, but it's still a course that will have your * if you don't play well.

All things considered, I'd compare it to Pineview and maybe Champlain...

I suppose it's not THAT bad then, but yea, so far this year Champlain and Pineview have been the worst I've played. Don't plan on playing them until well into summer, then I might reconsider.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I live nearby and play there about 3-4 times a year. I've played the course a couple of times this year already and the conditions were quite good. Greens are typically slow but otherwise in good shape. As far as conditioning goes it is usually as good or better than Pineview, Richmond Centennial, Riverbend, Irish Hills and Champlain. I don't even consider Poplar Grove to be a real golf course.

The layout is rather bland overall with a few dumb holes, but I also like the closing stretch of 16, 17 & 18. I agree that it is a little overpriced, as the course is not as nice as Metcalfe, Meadows or Manderley which are in the same price range. I almost always play there at twilight - and if you want to try it out just to see what its like then that is the best time to do so. They also have a decent driving range with a good short-game practice area, and the new clubhouse is nice too.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I played there a couple of weeks ago and thought the condition is quite good this year especially the fairway. The greens are rolling quite well but they are slow.

Condition wise, IMO it's better than Poplar Grove, Champlain, Irish Hills , Riverbend, and even Metcalfe ....comparing apples to apples. Definitely not the worst course in the area for same price range I pay (ie: EG - all 20$ courses)

Yes, the course is wide open (except for 10,11,12 which they use to collect balls for range , flat and the greens are hugh. 18 is kinda silly especially after 3-4 hours of walking a long course..it's way up hill and you have to hit a blind approach shot most of the times.

I think it's a good course for high handicappers to hone their golf skills. However it could be quite a challenge even for mid-cappers due to its length on some of the holes. I use my woods/hybrids a lot on this course if that what you want to work on.

I could never manage to break 90 at this course.

Alright, so today I played with Hearzy, infinity13, and Wilster at FalconRidge. I thought it would be absolutely horrible based on the comments here and really it wasn't. It's not a super exciting course or anything, but definitely not the worst course in Ottawa. The fairways grass could be cut shorter, but besides that I didn't really have any major complaints. I think 1 or 2 tee-boxes weren't really that great.

So yes, it's on the lower end, but no, not the worst. For example, Champlains conditions to me were like 5x worse than this course.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    The course was in decent shape for sure... I thought the fairways were very long though and the rough... Well, you did not want to play from it... Lets just put it that way. After a cut it would be in much better shape.

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    the starting holes on the back nine really ** me off the only time i played. Some of them are ridiculously tight.

I will never go back there again. Much rather play Pineview for the same price/quality range.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 06-14-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I played Champlain just after the rainy weekend we had recently and it was in much better shape than when I played in the early spring. Still needs work but hopefully all these posts aren't causing people to not play there.
    The layout at Falcon-Ridge is even more boring than Pineview, which is saying a lot.
    Even I've never heard of me

I'm glad the conditions are getting better, the course is nice and has potential, it was just in horrible shape when I played it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I played Champlain just after the rainy weekend we had recently and it was in much better shape than when I played in the early spring. Still needs work but hopefully all these posts aren't causing people to not play there.
    The layout at Falcon-Ridge is even more boring than Pineview, which is saying a lot.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I've gotta agree that this for sure is not the prettiest course in Ottawa , but definitley not the worst.
    The conditions for the most part were good , the fairways were long but in good condition , and the rough was gnarly (if you managed to miss the 300 yrd wide fairways ) the Greens were good albeit a little slow.
    The front nine is boring , very bland.
    The layout on the back nine is much more interesting and if you don't hit the ball straight , you'll be in trouble . Worth $20 on EG for sure , i won't be playing it on a regular basis , though i will go back.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Thread Information