100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar

Tee ball hitting tee marker

This is an embarrassing situation. I teed up on the tenth tee today and my tee ball hit the tee marker and ricocheted to the right. I proceeded to play the ball as it was. One of the guys playing with me said that I could re-tee without penalty. I think he is wrong. He also claims if your ball strikes the yardage marker or any man made obstacle that the stroke may be replayed without penalty. What is the ruling?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    This is an embarrassing situation. I teed up on the tenth tee today and my tee ball hit the tee marker and ricocheted to the right. I proceeded to play the ball as it was. One of the guys playing with me said that I could re-tee without penalty. I think he is wrong. He also claims if your ball strikes the yardage marker or any man made obstacle that the stroke may be replayed without penalty. What is the ruling?
    You play the ball as it lies.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    You play the ball as it lies.
    For all cases?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    For all cases?
    Yes. The only cases that I've seen the possibility of a player canceling and replaying his own stroke are A) if a Local Rule is in place requiring a player to cancel his stroke because the ball hit overhead power lines, and B) in Match Play if a player's ball hits his opponent's equipment (option to cancel the stroke, or play the ball as it lies).
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    If it was a practice swing and you hit the ball on the tee then it's not a penalty, and I don't know for sure but I think thats the only case where you can replay the shot without taking any strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    If it was a practice swing and you hit the ball on the tee then it's not a penalty, and I don't know for sure but I think thats the only case where you can replay the shot without taking any strokes.
    A practice swing is not a stroke.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yes. The only cases that I've seen the possibility of a player canceling and replaying his own stroke are A) if a Local Rule is in place requiring a player to cancel his stroke because the ball hit overhead power lines, and B) in Match Play if a player's ball hits his opponent's equipment (option to cancel the stroke, or play the ball as it lies).
    How about a ball in motion deflected by an outside agency?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thank you!

Ok? Sorry, not sure what you're trying to tell me
    A practice swing is not a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    How about a ball in motion deflected by an outside agency?
    Only on the green. See Rule 19-1.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    If your ball is within the teeing ground prior to the start of the hole, and you accidentally hit it while taking a practice swing, there is no penalty and the ball may be replaced. You said that you could "replay the shot", but a stroke hasn't been made yet, so there is no "shot" to be replayed.

Ahh right, bad wording, thanks!

If your ball is within the teeing ground prior to the start of the hole, and you accidentally hit it while taking a practice swing, there is no penalty and the ball may be replaced. You said that you could "replay the shot", but a stroke hasn't been made yet, so there is no "shot" to be replayed.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    For all cases?
    19-1. By Outside Agency

If a player's ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies,

Outside Agency

In match play, an "outside agency" is any agency other than either the player's or opponent'sside, any caddie of either side, any ball played by either side at the hole being played or any equipment of either side.In stroke play, an outside agency is any agency other than the competitor's side, any caddie of the side, any ball played by the side at the hole being played or any equipment of the side.
    An outside agency includes a referee, a marker, an observer and a forecaddie. Neither wind nor water is an outside agency.

Rub of the Green
    A "rub of the green" occurs when a ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency (see Rule 19-1).

Thread Information