+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Equinelle

7 Wood Riddler is on a distinguished road Riddler's Avatar

Equinelle

Hi All,
    Just curious about this new course Equinelle and what I should expect? Website looks nice but all newer courses are typically opened a little early. Might be playing this weekend with a few friends any reviews/ suggestions would be helpful?

How their greens doing?
    Rob

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar

Equinelle

I played there last week. Beautiful. Lots of sand traps...81 on the course I think. The greens are kind of hard, none of my wedges stuck well. They'd just roll after the landing. But they putt very true. Not many bumps to knock the ball off line. I can see why the course is being talked about as possibly contending for best course in Ottawa after it grows in a bit.

Shushu

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Played Equinelle last week, great course with some amazing holes, 7-8-9 are a great finish to the front, take adavantage of 6 as 7-9 are tough.

The service is by far the best I have received anywhere in Ottawa, the back nine needs a little time to mature, but excellent as well, agree with the greens, not holding, but true and a little slow.

Again great experience, from the Pro Shop to the marshalls to the food at the turn, A+.

I will play it a few more times this year, gonna wait a couple months.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    agreed with above. greens are hard, as is in front of the green so you have to run your shots up. Back needs a little maturing. It takes a couple of rounds to really find your way around and where to hit your drives. All in all a great course.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    agreed with above. greens are hard, as is in front of the green so you have to run your shots up. Back needs a little maturing. It takes a couple of rounds to really find your way around and where to hit your drives. All in all a great course.
    When greens are really firm, it makes you think about where you want to LAND the ball and not just assume it's going to stop where it lands. Ex. You are 150 to the pin, you hit 8 iron 150. Well, you're probably going to have to hit 9 iron in that situation maybe 135 yards and let it roll to the hole. Or take some off the 8.

Takes course management and your mental game to another level. I'd argue that firm greens are more fun to play. (Not crazy, unfair firm...)

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    It will be one of the best in the area when it matures. Visually very nice and number 14 is a prime example. I agree on the greens, they are firm. The only thing that worries me is where the houses will be built (aka Stonebridge)

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    The equinelle coupons from the golf show say they're good from Monday to Friday, but doesn't say anything about them not being valid on holidays.
    Before I call and ask, what are the chances they will honour the coupons on May24th?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Slim to none but you never know!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Slim to none but you never know!!
    ...and Slim just left town.

Just a head's up for anyone playing eQuinelle next Monday, the coupons are not valid for holidays.

3 Wood Slicer&Dicer is on a distinguished road
    My golf show coupon has no restrictions on it, I just called and the guy didn't think there was any on the coupons. Unless, it states on the coupon, I would say it should be good to go on the holiday but call ahead of course.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer&Dicer View Post
    My golf show coupon has no restrictions on it, I just called and the guy didn't think there was any on the coupons.

I don't think any of the coupons have restrictions, but usually they state M-F excluding holidays, however these ones don't say that.

When you say 'the guy' - was this someone at equinelle?

A buddy of mine called them this morning and was informed the coupons are not valid for Monday May 24th

Yes, I mean the guy on the phone today at the course (using the number on the coupon). However, I did not ask about the holiday specially but from him saying "no restrictions" I took that to mean "no restrictions" which to me also says "valid for holidays".

Of course, if one is to play on the holiday monday with such a pass, it is better to call ahead to avoid last minute disappointment.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    The equinelle coupons from the golf show say they're good from Monday to Friday, but doesn't say anything about them not being valid on holidays.
    Before I call and ask, what are the chances they will honour the coupons on May24th?
    I believe "GolfChick" was handing them out...so she should probably know.
    I have some too and was wondering the same thing.

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    Played today with a card from the golf show - no restrictions. It's a lovely course (though greens were slowish) and will only get better. People were very friendly, my playing partner was his usual good company - if only I hadn't played so poorly it would have been perfect.

Having said all that, I doubt I'd drive down to Kemptville and pay $70 + tax often.

3 Iron whatsup is on a distinguished road
    Played the course and they charge $70 (without cart)....it is not a $70 course, not even close. Will it be nice one day, sure, but they are charging for something that will be good, not IS good.

I do have to say that that the service was excellent and everyone was friendly.

Some other gripes about the course:
    - no driving range
    - POORLY marked course, some holes did not have the red white and blue steaks and with the 90 degree rule in effect, bringing the right club from the cart was a nightmare for playing a course the first time. The sprinkler heads were well marked with distance to the back, centre and front
    - when a hole did have the steaks they were poorly positioned, couldn't see it them from the middle of the fairway, had to hunt for them

My lesson has been learned, don't play a new course until they charge the price they should.

My two cents
    Last edited by Kilroy; 05-25-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    I must respectfully disagree, but for a number of different reasons.

First, I golfed it for the first time last week, but I had a 2 for 1 pass which during the week means $ 55 divided by two so it cost us $ 27.50 each.

Second, I agree that there are no 100/150/200 yard markers but as you observed, the sprinkler heads are very well marked. However, I use a laser range finder so I really don't care about on course markers.

I thoroughly enjoyed my eQuinelle experience and will definitely be returning with my other 2 for 1 pass during the week. Plus, I have EG access for $ 40.

The course will not be in a mature status for many more years but it has an ambiance that I really like.

Bottom line: I agree with you that I would not pay $ 70 per round at this stage... but there are other options.

Played there yesterday. Nice layout. Tees, Fairways and greens are very nice. Greens a touch slow and many of them have nice slopes, i.e. not just flat. Lots of sand traps and a decent amount of water.

My friend easily found the yardage markers in the middle of the fairways as they are not flat ones but raised in the middle like a very small tent. Also, they have the yardage stakes but these are not near the fairway but near the tree lines so are a little harder to notice some time but they are there.

Some of the rough is sparse but only in some places. It is fairly new but starting to grow in nicely. Well maintained course and friendly folks. Had a free pass from the golf show and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Will go back.

One strange thing is the greens seem to be very hard when trying to repair ball marks, they must be well packed down I guess.

Anyone know the slope/rating to put into the handicap system?
    Last edited by Slicer&Dicer; 05-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I asked about the slope when I was there recently and the OGA Course rating team was there 2 weeks ago and they expect to have the results in 2 weeks time.

I played the blues and I temporarily put my score in with a rating of 69.8 and a slope of 126...let's see how close I am when they come out.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    We played it for the first time this a.m. Beautifull design,great greens with lots of undulation,nice wide fairways.Will go back for sure.
    Oh,and by the way,some of the prettiest par 3 holes in the area with some tough greens .
    Last edited by Marcos; 06-16-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Gap Wedge haugenmark is on a distinguished road
    Played it today for the first time. Was very impressed with the layout and the bunkering. My only complaint was the pin placements. Every single pin was within 8 feet from the edge of the green almost always in the absolute toughest spot on the green. Almost impossible to get the ball close given how hard the greens were.

I'll go back but hopefully next time whoever sets the pins is more reasonable.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Funny you mentioned that Haugenmark,there were a few nasty pins for sure but i thought it added to the drama of the par 3's. I think num. 16 pin placement was the worst I have ever seen on any course.Did not do well on that one.Its not a really hard course to play and I guess thats the way they make more challenging.Looking forward to next week to play it with my son.

Gap Wedge haugenmark is on a distinguished road
    Ya the pin on 16 was rediculous. I had about a 30 footer for bird and thought I hit a pretty good lag put up the hill. It was about a foot right of the cup and maybe 3 feet long. Unfortunately it caught the right side of the nole, ran down the hill and I had a 25 footer coming back for par.

I do agree that the placements added to the challenge but it was just a little extreme after 18 holes... That one on 16 put me over the top.

I agree with you.Did you make par on that one? Mine ran up onto the back of the hole on the fringe then I rolled it gently down past the cup and it took off for about 5 feet,missed the put comming back up and missed comming back down. By that time,my game was gone down the toilet. Manage to par 17 and fell apart on the 18th. All in all a normal game for me.LOL

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Played it for the first time last Saturday....played a decent front (for me) but was riding the double train for a bit starting off the back 9. Finished by parring 16, 17 and 18 for an 88.

Absolutely stunning course IMO and I can wait to play it in the fall, tree frame almost every green, much like Loch March, it should be absolutely stunning come October

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Played it for the first time last Saturday....played a decent front (for me) but was riding the double train for a bit starting off the back 9. Finished by parring 16, 17 and 18 for an 88.

Absolutely stunning course IMO and I can wait to play it in the fall, tree frame almost every green, much like Loch March, it should be absolutely stunning come October
    played it last fall, it was indeed a beautiful course. scroll down to post 10

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ght=buckingham

and you'll get an idea of what it looks like.

played this fine course yesterday and I'll have to say, compared to last fall, it has come a long way in terms of conditioning. The back 9 has improved significantly. The fairways are fantastic and the greens, while still fairly hard, seem more receptive and in near perfect condition. My only real complaints remain the lack of visible (from a distance) yardarge markers in the fairway and the locations of the pins yesterday. The majority of them could not have been placed in more difficult and inacessible positions on the greens. I think they were trying to emulate the US Open pins yesterday.

Just played it again this morning and cant say enough about this course.The staff are amazing,and friendly.
    The course is in fantastic condition and it was even better with the sun shinning today.

Very difficult to repair ball marks if you notice any.

Anyone know why the greens are so hard?
    "Bubba-Size Your Drive"

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

It's a new course.

while the greens are hard, I had no problem reparing my ball marks, and about a dozen others on each green. There was no shortage of marks to fix but most of them were smaller than normal, but still no excuse.

yes, its because its new, give it a couple of years and they will soften up.

Thread Information