CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sorry Chief, but what does that mean?

There is a big difference between someone trying to hit a long drive with 3 or 6 balls and a once in a blue moon shot that becomes a great story. It's like a hole in one. Can you do it on demand? No. Can it be done? Yes.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Great shot no matter what the direct distance; or follow the fairway distance was.
    You have to have an accurate tee shot to drive the green there. I personally witnessed Wilster do it too.

Well done.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Wow, I've derailed a few threads in my time, but even I'm impressed.

If you really want to keep track of how far you're banging it out there, SkyCaddie plus a ClubSG account is great. I try to remember to mark the tee box location when I have the driver in my hand, so that I can mark the ball position when I get up to it. When your score gets uploaded to clubsg then it keeps those numbers too. Unfortunately a ball that's under 20 ft of water cannot be marked, this has been a problem quite a few times this year.

I'm actually finding it funny, that drives I used to think were quite long, aren't really that big, but some shots I didn't think were very far actually travel quite a ways. It's enlightening, even if it sometimes means that drive wasn't all that big.

Again, nice pop Donny.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    First off, Congrats Donny! Even if 95% of golfers out there could bomb it over 300yds on a consistent basis, Donny started this thread to celebrate a personal accomplishment. So hats off to you on that one.

Whether it's skepticism or just plain ole jealousy, I don't understand why some people have undermined his personal feat.

To keep the thread flowing I will add that I've driven a Par 4 on three occassions (same hole). #10 at Pineview, from the blues. Not sure how far that one reads, plays. Not sure if there were tailwinds, concrete fairways, or if a squirrel carried my ball 30 yards and dropped it on the green.. etc etc you catch my drift.

Cheers Donny.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Haha, I've noticed the same thing. I feel like I've slammed a drive right down the fairway and am thinking it's gone so far, mark with my SkyCaddie and it turns out it was only a 220 drive. On the other hand I've hit my 3wood off the tee and thought nothing of it, just that I 'played it safe' by not using the driver and possibly going into the water. When I get to the ball it's 245 (the fairway slopes downhill). Really interesting to see the exact numbers though!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post

If you really want to keep track of how far you're banging it out there, SkyCaddie plus a ClubSG account is great. I try to remember to mark the tee box location when I have the driver in my hand, so that I can mark the ball position when I get up to it. When your score gets uploaded to clubsg then it keeps those numbers too. Unfortunately a ball that's under 20 ft of water cannot be marked, this has been a problem quite a few times this year.

I'm actually finding it funny, that drives I used to think were quite long, aren't really that big, but some shots I didn't think were very far actually travel quite a ways. It's enlightening, even if it sometimes means that drive wasn't all that big.

Again, nice pop Donny.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    It has nothing to do with size; it's all technique. I'm 5'9", 180lbs, average build and am a bogey-ish golfer. I can confidently say that my average drive is 270+.

Yesterday on a 445 yard par 5 (#4 Cartier from the whites) I had 112 to the pin, verified by laser rangefinder on my second shot. It's always fun to hit a 56 degree wedge on your second shot on a par 5 Probably the longest drive of my life, although I've had several other drives in the 320 range.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Husband View Post
    It has nothing to do with size; it's all technique. I'm 5'9", 180lbs, average build and am a bogey-ish golfer. I can confidently say that my average drive is 270+.

Yesterday on a 445 yard par 5 (#4 Cartier from the whites) I had 112 to the pin, verified by laser rangefinder on my second shot. It's always fun to hit a 56 degree wedge on your second shot on a par 5 Probably the longest drive of my life, although I've had several other drives in the 320 range.
    well, size does matter as they say. Lots of small guys on the PGA tour that can pound it, such as Camillo, Sergio, etc. However, there is no substitute for brut strength. Two golfers with the same swing but with a 6" and 50lb difference in size will hit it different distances.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    ^^ no doubt. Put two equal skilled golfers side by side... one 5'9" and one 6' and the 6 footer will out drive the shorter guy every time. Assuming he doesn't have midget arms!

Anyways Im not sure what my point was. No one was talking size, but I guess I was frustrated that everyone is giving this guy a hard time for something completely possible on the right day. Even for us hack golfers.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Husband View Post
    ^^ no doubt. Put two equal skilled golfers side by side... one 5'9" and one 6' and the 6 footer will out drive the shorter guy every time. Assuming he doesn't have midget arms!

Anyways Im not sure what my point was. No one was talking size, but I guess I was frustrated that everyone is giving this guy a hard time for something completely possible on the right day. Even for us hack golfers.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne!!
    I think Donny's real secret is those size 14 pontoons on his feet!!!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar

ChiefLongTee

ChiefLongTee......Do you have any friends?

This is a pretty rude posting.....I was there and I will tell you that he did drive the green. The blues are measured from the centre of the blue tee deck to the middle of the green......The blues were near the back of the tee deck and the pin on this day was far left corner.....The GPS showed 315 to the in that day.....Donny was just left of the centre of the green in the rough. He chipped on to 3ft and put down his birdie putt. We used my Sonocaddie to measure the drives all day.

I myself last year hit a 320 yard drive on the 10th hole of Greyhawk...and averaged 290 all day. I also had a 340 yard drive on the 7th hole (I beleive it was 7 anyways) at Cedarhill...which Donny was there to see. You are welcome to come with us anytime. Although I agree with you and don't really like it when people brag about long drives and can never produce one when I'm around...I hate people that call B.S. on someone they've never seen golf. How about next time you just say congrats and then keep your trap shut.

....I take it back.....your never invited to golf with us

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Great drive no doubt but most probably a 230-240 poke at best.

Not a 300 yarder for sure. The hole is 296 from the blues.

http://www.brookstreet.com/golf/marshes_layout.html (click on 11)

By flying the water you cut off a big chunk of that 296. Alas only a few on this here forum can claim such long pokes on a straight away hole.

Now you can add me to your ignore list

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Shushu. You take up for your friend and that is great. Take a look at the first 3 smilies That means stirring the pot. I also wrote great drive no doubt. I do not deny questionning the 300 yard claim and that came across as jealousy or bouleschitte or whatever. Whether it'd be Donny or anybody else I will always question the 300 yard claim. Let me assure you that it was not jealousy. If someone can improve their swing and pound it 300 yards all day then more power to them. Why would that make me jealous? Or even why would that make me feel like I am missing out on something? If they can also fill me in on their little secret that is even better. If you want to discuss if I have friends then send me a pm.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Driving a green is definitely special - congrats!

When I see most driving ranges dont mark over 250, I do concur that 300 yard + drives have got to be rare.

I think the personal attacks on the Chief are truly unwarranted, and have no place on a sport that is supposed to be a gentlemens game. The chief is a gentleman by the way , so please refrain from posts that suggest otherwise.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Not to nitpick...but in the original post, I assumed that the drive ended up on the green.

Donny's playing partner suggested otherwise (pin high in the rough). I guess the devil is in the details.

Congrats, Donny, on taking lessons and improving your game. Sounds like you're pounding it.

In the end distance is all about how you hit the ball right? I've attached an image I found on the net which shows that even with a swing-speed that isn't out of this world, 105mph, if you hit it correctly you're carrying 270. It's crazy to see how much your angle of attack can improve your ball flight. I found that out today during my lessons at Kevin Haimes, some tweaks to my setup and angle of attack and I carried the ball almost 20 yards further by going from an angle of attack of -6 degrees to -1 degree. Now I just need to work on getting it to +5

I'm guessing Donny was just hitting it properly
    Attached Images

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post

Again, nice pop Donny.

I didn't know it actually kept track of distance. That is sweet. I've continued using the Score Card App on the iphone and just entering the distance after I mark it with skycaddie. Plus I love walking the distance with the skycaddie in hand and love seeing the 300+ come up on the display! I feel like a monster!! LOL.... **jk**

Thanks for the tip about the caddie and club skygolf! Now if I can just find time to golf that would be great.

Tim

FWIW

105 MPH swing speed is well above average.
    http://www.eaglesbackgolfclubs.com/i...id=3&chapter=5

Tom Wishon a well known expert on the matter says average male golfer ss is 80-85
    http://dyn.pga.com/improve/tips/equi...shon060905.cfm

If your swing speed is 80-85 mph, which is the average driver swing speed of a male golfer today
    For you to improve your angle of attack i.e to get it to +5 you might want to consider the following instead of possibly screwing your swing

The exact loft that optimizes your swing speed into your maximum distance with a driver is also based on your swing angle of attack -- whether the driver head is traveling on a downward, level or upward angle when it contacts the ball. So to really know your best loft for most distance, you should take the time to find a custom clubmaker with a launch monitor. With that wonderful piece of fitting equipment, it will be possible to know what loft delivers your best flight trajectory for most distance. And the next time you head out to play, you will have a much bigger smile on your face as a result.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Well I never said 105mph was average, I just said it wasn't out of this world and I'm sure a good amount of people on these forums can swing 105mph. Not only that but I do consider the majority of the players on this forum above average. An average golf player shoots around 100, while the average of the active members here is better than that I'm sure.

FWIW

105 MPH swing speed is well above average.
    http://www.eaglesbackgolfclubs.com/i...id=3&chapter=5

Tom Wishon a well known expert on the matter says average male golfer ss is 80-85
    http://dyn.pga.com/improve/tips/equi...shon060905.cfm

For you to improve your angle of attack i.e to get it to +5 you might want to consider the following instead of possibly screwing your swing

Fair enough.105 is not out of this world but still more than the average on this forum imho. Can Haimes measure Swing Speed? If so ask them to measure it for you.Or find someone with a launch monitor so they can measure your AoA and SS.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Yes he measured all of my drive shots. My swing speed was 96-99mph, I was usually a few degrees open (4 degrees), my swing plane was outside-in by 3 degrees when we started but I had actually ended up getting a couple of 1 degree inside-out shots near the end, and my angle of attack was around -6 at the start (recorded a -9 even), and got it down to -1 at one point.

Fair enough.105 is not out of this world but still more than the average on this forum imho. Can Haimes measure Swing Speed? If so ask them to measure it for you.Or find someone with a launch monitor so they can measure your AoA and SS.

Trackman did a study with tour players a couple years ago and found out that a lot of guys had a negative angle of attack and would have been better off with higher lofts in their driver(Tiger included).The really long hitters didn't really care as they were already pounding it and distance was not an issue. They also found out the opposite. MY SS is 94-95 and I just don't see how I could get it to 105 unless I went the baseball way Coming out of my shoes to get it any higher is not the way to go.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    Not many driving ranges use true yards as the balls you use at the range are well used...hard as a rock, garbage to last a lot longer then your good, new, ball. Your right. 300 yard drives are rare....and I've only met 1 person in my golfing life that I would never want to golf with again. So maybe 5% of golfers can break 100, 1% of golfers can hit 300 yard drives.....99% of golfers are fun to golf with......Personal attacks were started when "Chief" started his responses in this thread with calling BS on Donny's drive. IF anything should come of this it's the Chief being a gentleman as you say.....I've seen nothing of this in this in his posts on this thread......just slamming peoples opinions with his own uninteresting conjecture. I'll leave it up to you to decide where he sits in my opinion of fun people to golf with if his posts are any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    Driving a green is definitely special - congrats!

When I see most driving ranges dont mark over 250, I do concur that 300 yard + drives have got to be rare.

I think the personal attacks on the Chief are truly unwarranted, and have no place on a sport that is supposed to be a gentlemens game. The chief is a gentleman by the way , so please refrain from posts that suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shushu View Post
    Not many driving ranges use true yards as the balls you use at the range are well used...hard as a rock, garbage to last a lot longer then your good, new, ball. Your right. 300 yard drives are rare....and I've only met 1 person in my golfing life that I would never want to golf with again. So maybe 5% of golfers can break 100, 1% of golfers can hit 300 yard drives.....99% of golfers are fun to golf with......Personal attacks were started when "Chief" started his responses in this thread with calling BS on Donny's drive. IF anything should come of this it's the Chief being a gentleman as you say.....I've seen nothing of this in this in his posts on this thread......just slamming peoples opinions with his own uninteresting conjecture. I'll leave it up to you to decide where he sits in my opinion of fun people to golf with if his posts are any indication.
    I only expressed an opinion. If it uninteresting then just ignore my posts. You never argued with your wife or friends or relatives? Were they always right or you were?
    Are you a conservative or a liberal? Does everyone agree on everything? And yes some people like me and some don't and some tolerate me but isn't that the way life goes? As far as I know I did not attack him personally. I even apologized and I even wrote that he is as nice as they come. Yes I did question the 300 yard claim and what's wrong with that?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

This thread is getting sadder by the minute.....

Can't we all just celebrate the 300 yard drive without all these personal attacks? Questioning anything on this forum is good, it makes people think and gets people talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Can't we all just celebrate the 300 yard drive without all these personal attacks? Questioning anything on this forum is good, it makes people think and gets people talking.
    Agreed
    Mahatma Gandhi

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Okay. That's enough. Opinions are fine, attacks are not. I don't want to close the thread or ban anyone when the flaming escalates, so let's leave it at that. Move forward on topic or let it die.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I have no doubt that some folks on this site can drive the ball 300 yards plus. I've seen it done, and when I wasn't old, grey and portly I could do it myself. Now I'd need a rock hard fairway and a 50 mph tailwind.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    He is usually really long (one of only four people that I know to have reached 18 at Rideau View in two), but seemed to be popping the ball all day.
    That is probably the best indication of length in Ottawa, IMO. Rideau View's fairways are typically fairly soft, you're hitting your drive into an upslope (unless you carry it about 285-290), and the second shot is obviously straight uphill. Plus, the prevailing wind is into the player.

So, 565 yards, typically all carry.

I know of three people who've done it in the 5 (?) years that the new tee has been in use.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Are you saying that you've seen someone hit a golf ball that flew 565 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    That is probably the best indication of length in Ottawa, IMO. Rideau View's fairways are typically fairly soft, you're hitting your drive into an upslope (unless you carry it about 285-290), and the second shot is obviously straight uphill. Plus, the prevailing wind is into the player.

So, 565 yards, typically all carry.

I know of three people who've done it in the 5 (?) years that the new tee has been in use.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Are you saying that you've seen someone hit a golf ball that flew 565 yards?
    Of course not.

If you read what I was quoting, the guy was saying that he knew 4 people who had gotten home in two on Rideau View's par-five 18th hole. (I know of 3)

That, in my opinion, is a really good indicator of who is long, because the characteristics of the hole combined with the predominant conditions make it a tough par-five to hit in two shots.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    i never know what to make of how far i hit it sometime i think i just spanked it and when i mesured it its like 230, but other times i know its longer. Like yesterday I played Le Sorcier #8 from the blues, yardage says 401, tee was at the back and pin was back right. Hit a good drive and when i got to my ball i had 94 yards to the pin. Would like to think its somewhere close to 300 but i didnt mark it to find out.

I think driving that green is great i have tried it a bunch of times and always end up in the crap on the left. good thing its a red stake and can you usually get away with a bogey when i do! Nice job Donney!

Thread Information