100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's high, but I have played with a few. They know who they are and can out themselves if they want.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I'm not saying it's high, but I have played with a few. They know who they are and can out themselves if they want.
    You're a pretty big boy yourself. Are you amongst the 1%?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    There's 6200 members on this forum, so 62 of them can hit it 300 yards, that sounds about right I think lol. I've never even gotten it close to 300 unfortunately, longest drive with favourable conditions for me has been 260 at the most, very rare I even get it over 240 lol

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    You're a pretty big boy yourself. Are you amongst the 1%?
    lol, that's a big negative there Chief! 230 for me is an absolutely KILLED drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    There's 6200 members on this forum, so 62 of them can hit it 300 yards, that sounds about right I think lol. I've never even gotten it close to 300 unfortunately, longest drive with favourable conditions for me has been 260 at the most, very rare I even get it over 240 lol
    Perhaps it is more like .5%
    Mahatma Gandhi

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    ..Then there is Mattchew who flies balls into greenside bunkers from 350. I have played with 2 or 3 guys who can hit it 300. I'd say the '300 club' hitters on the website could be anywhere between 2-5%.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    ..Then there is Mattchew who flies balls into greenside bunkers from 350. I have played with 2 or 3 guys who can hit it 300. I'd say the '300 club' hitters on the website could be anywhere between 2-5%.
    FLYING it 350? Wow. Never played with anyone who could do that.

Before or after he lost weight?Or that has made any difference? 5% is pretty steep imho. That would mean 311.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    What I do have a hard time with is the 300 yard claim from anybody
    I know several that can crank it 285 fairly regularly. No, not all the time. Yes I have measured many. On a good day 300 is certainly do-able.

We all have good days when things magically come together don't we? I know I do. That's what we play for. It feels great! That is until someone comes along vandalizes your excitement. You were not there. You can be as skeptical as you like but I see no need to do as you have done here.

I'd say about 1%. Just my opiinion.
    I for one would much rather hear about users personal bests than your skeptisizm. Posts like yours inevitably make people disinclined to post thier achievements out of fear of being ridiculed or called a liar by some know-it-all on the internet. The least you could have done is start a new thread rather than soil this one. Stuff lke that we can do without.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    FLYING it 350? Wow. Never played with anyone who could do that.
    Again, he does not do it all the time, but.. he has done it one more than just one occasion. I would say that there have been times where he has averaged 300 in a rounds as well. Nothing like having short irons in to some par fives.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Nothing personal against Donny. I've met him twice and he is as nice a person as can be so please take that out of your head. What I do have a hard time with is the 300 yard claim from anybody, If you read my previous post I have said that only a few here can bang it 300 under normal conditions. I have played with long hitters and have hardly ever seen a 300 yard drive unless the conditions were favourable(wind, downhill you name it) or the ground was hard as a rock such as it can be at the VM during drought periods. So yes it is possible to hit a 230-240 drive that will roll another 60 yards or so but only when the conditions are perfect.How many times have you heard the 300 yard claim in your golfing lifetime Dan? How many have you seen it other than on TV? How many people claim 300 yard drives when they can only hit their 7 iron 145?
    300 yards is 300 yards. Golf is played outside, in the wind and the sun etc. The environment is a part of the game. We don't ignore good results because the conditions were favourable, or ignore bad ones because the conditions were unfavourable. If a crosswind helps your ball into the woods, you don't get to claim that it was a perfect shot and you got screwed by the conditions. If it was a perfect shot, you would have compensated for the wind. So, why question a good result, just because the conditions may have helped? It's part of the game, and doesn't make the claim that he hit a green in 1, with a 300 yard drive, any less legitimate. The ball still had to go 300 yards to get onto the green, and someone had to hit it.

This ain't track and field. We don't only record results when the wind is within a certain threshold.

Before or after he lost weight?Or that has made any difference? 5% is pretty steep imho. That would mean 311.
    He's actually got longer after losing weight. More flexible, I guess. Chief, I do think many, if any 'average' 300.. but there are a fair amount who CAN do it. 1 out of 20 may be a bit much though, not sure..

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    300 yards is 300 yards. Golf is played outside, in the wind and the sun etc. The environment is a part of the game. We don't ignore good results because the conditions were favourable, or ignore bad ones because the conditions were unfavourable. If a crosswind helps your ball into the woods, you don't get to claim that it was a perfect shot and you got screwed by the conditions. If it was a perfect shot, you would have compensated for the wind. So, why question a good result, just because the conditions may have helped? It's part of the game, and doesn't make the claim that he hit a green in 1, with a 300 yard drive, any less legitimate. The ball still had to go 300 yards to get onto the green, and someone had to hit it.

This ain't track and field. We don't only record results when the wind is within a certain threshold.
    Read the first post. Reread twice if you have to.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Not doubting Donny. Just asking.
    Now it's my turn to call BS.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Whoa, not saying I drive it 300 yards every time now, but I'm hitting it much farther and reached 300 several times. Roll played a part, sure. I don't think I could fly it 300 on the best day of my life. Didn't think this thread would spark this response. Thought it would more of the way to go type. I'm off to cry now. lol
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Haha, aww poor guy. I believe you! Who did you take lessons with anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Whoa, not saying I drive it 300 yards every time now, but I'm hitting it much farther and reached 300 several times. Roll played a part, sure. I don't think I could fly it 300 on the best day of my life. Didn't think this thread would spark this response. Thought it would more of the way to go type. I'm off to cry now. lol

I know I have always been one of your favourites so I will ignore your last reply.

It seems that you do not like to be contradicted.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Not to worry Donny it's one guy's opinion. Apparently he feels tthat since he doesn't know anyoune who's ever driven a par four that it can't be done. I beg to differ, but I do know it can't be done by me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I've reread it. And I believe him. I have no reason not to.

If Donny was on here to make up tall tales about 300 yard drives, he would have started years ago.

So, I ask you, why do you think the possibility of favourable conditions diminishes the accomplishments of a golfer? Should we put an asterisk next to birdies when there is a tailwind? Do you think people golfing in poor conditions should be scored more leniently? Should you only be penalized half a stroke when you slice into the woods on a windy day?

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Congrats Donny and sorry if I offended you.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Not to worry Donny it's one guy's opinion. Apparently he feels tthat since he doesn't know anyoune who's ever driven a par four that it can't be done. I beg to differ, but I do know it can't be done by me.
    I have driven a par 4 before once and once only.On a perfect day. And I have seen it on numerous occasions so please do not assume on my behalf.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Now I am really confused.

Why on earth would you doubt him then? Never mind. I don't want to know.

Yup. Some who think they are long, aren't.

Mr Apple, please meet Mr Orange.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Look what you started Donny...I can't believe you would go and do something like this!!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    All I know is those that knew me several years ago knew me at a certain size and strength. I got sick and lost about 50 lbs of muscle. I'm now, thanks to science, back to almost the size I was before. This is a thread that celebrates what modern medicine has achieved. Sorry if I infringed on the sacred 300 yard barrier.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    good stuff man!!! we gotta get out this year!!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Adding some fuel to the fire, I played a round at Smugglers Glen last week and watched one of the most amazing driving rounds ever played. The first, a 473 par 4, I was at the 200 yard mark (a huge drive for me). My buddy though was inside the 150! He flew the trap on number 3, and was inside the 200 on 4. On number 7 he was inside the 200 yard mark into the wind and was on the fringe on 9. We played the black tees (back tees) during our round. The tee box on 18 was not as far back as it could be, but he hit driver and four iron over the green into the wind! He is usually really long (one of only four people that I know to have reached 18 at Rideau View in two), but seemed to be popping the ball all day.

Anyway, congrats on the shot man. Sounds good to me!

Cheers,

John

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Thumbs up on the good shot Donny , glad to hear that your giving the arthritis a good wuppin' .
    In the words of someone from N.Ireland "keep 'er lit !"
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I for one have never driven the ball 300 (I think I have had a few in the 285 range), and I have never driven a Par 4. Not for lack of trying, though - I always try for the green at Hammond on #6. Measures 308 off the whites, plays shorter as it is a dog leg, but I don't know the true distance.

So, Congratulations, Donny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Yup. Some who think they are long, aren't.

Mr Apple, please meet Mr Orange.
    And 50lbs of added muscle which I never knew about.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information