100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Mike999

I think I discovered the secret to better golf.

Howdy all,

I'm Mike, long-time lurker, not very frequent poster.

I've been playing golf for about 4 years now. I played about 20 rounds the first two years I played, and last year only played maybe 4 rounds. This year I've begun playing more frequently, as today I've played my 6th of the year already.

I've never broken a score of 100 on any full size course; only Amberwood in Stittsville (which is an executive course). I took up the sport with two friends who live near by and we've all been playing together every time we play. We've NEVER taken lessons (I know...I gotta get on that) The three of us shoot within 2 or three strokes of each other (Infuriatingly close to break 100 for me. I've shot 100 or 101 about 5 times each. My buddy hit 98 once.) I've felt like I'm due to "break through" eventually, as I am always getting at least 2 or three pars on the course, even the occasional birdie. I just can't seem to link the good shots together. I'll shoot a bunch of 5's, then a 9.

Anyways, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I went out today with somebody else. I played with a friend from College who is just taking the game up, and is essentially whackin' the ball around, and doing his thing. We went to the Canadian. He shot a 120, and didn't have a care in the world.

I shot an 89.

EIGHTY-NINE.

That's 11 strokes better than I've ever, EVER played. Suffice to say I was "poopin" myself going into the 18th tee knowing I could double-bogey the 18th and shoot an 89 (which I did). Anyways. I finished with two 6's. Only one double bogey (on the last hole...the nerves!), and the rest bogeys or pars.

I think I've discovered that competition is the worst thing ever for somebody struggling to reach a respectable level in golf. I've always gotten extremely frustrated when my friend outplayed me on a hole, and would beat myself up for missing the green in reg. only to blow the chip shot over the green. Well today I didn't care if I missed a fairway or green, and was playing bogey golf. I was psyched to just be anywhere near the hole, and not once did I muck up a chip shot.

Anyways, I'm psyched, and I really look forward to getting out again now.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Congrats on breaking 100.. aw hell, 90 too!

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Good point. I find that it's not just a lack of competition, but also not caring or not raising expectations.
    Case in point, I always play my best golf in the Spring. I've come to realize that it's because I don't care during this time.

Welcome to the game of contradictions!

Congrats on the new personal best btw

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up The secret...

Play like it doesn't matter... 'cause it doesn't... really. Congrats and hope you have many more enjoyable days out there.

Gap Wedge rfl1 is on a distinguished road
    You know what it doesn't really matter does it......my son is having back issues at 15 and I just want to be able to get out and play with him again!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Having fun is the key, just look at how much fun Tiger is having right now.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information