100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Hybrid in rough?

I am confused about what to use in the rough from 150 yards or so.

If I see that my ball has settled down in the "second cut" I will always put the fairway metals and hybrids in the bag and use a or 9 iron to get it out, knowing I will be short of the green.

During some surfing for another question I came across more than one instructor suggesting that the hybrid is preferable for lies in the rough.

This doesn't seem right to me, so I was wondering what do the golfers here do?

Do you use a hybrid in the rough? Any technique that I should be mindfull of?

Thanks
    Rusty

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    hybrids are made for the rough, but i dont own a hybrid and would use a 5 wood (19) if the distance to the hole was 180yards or more. for the 150 yard distance i'd use a 6 iron if the ball is sitting nicely, but use a longer iron if the grass is higher than the ball. if the ball is really deep, then i'd just pitch it out onto the fairway with a 8 or 9 iron.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I use my 4h everywhere and anywhere: rough, bunkers, pinestraw, hazards. I find it to be much easier to hit a longer distance (180+ yds) out of funky lies . My hybrid(Hogan) has a pretty small head and I use it as a rescue club more than an iron replacement and it has helped me invent many shots from the more 'interesting' places on the course.
    Even I've never heard of me

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    At 150Y, rough or not I use an 8 iron unless it’s fescue deep stuff. Then I would take my medicine and wedge it out to safety.

That being said, my longest iron is a 6. I replaced my 5-4-3 irons with 3 hybrids. They are much easier to hit and land a lot softer then long irons. I do use them in the rough then again it all depends on the lie. But yes they are easy to hit in the rough, easier then regular long irons for sure.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    At 150Y, rough or not I use an 8 iron unless it’s fescue deep stuff. Then I would take my medicine and wedge it out to safety.
    From the rough Id say an 8 for me. I usually save 5 wood or hybrid shots for panic situations where I need to hit the green and I'm 200+ in the rough.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    As Im not a really long hitter and my 4H goes about 180 I would probably use that out of the rough and not try to smash it. If the lie isn't too bad it would be a 5i. I use my hybrid a LOT for my 2nd shots though.

Thread Information