CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar

Blackberry Golf GPS ?

Does anyone know of any free golf gps systems? Or any cheap ones to purchase online?

Thanks guys!

Micheal,
    Just another lefty....

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Intelligolf.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    BBGPS golf

Some courses are more precise then others but great app for the price....FREE
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

8 Iron Sparky is on a distinguished road Sparky's Avatar

Freecaddie

I use Freecaddie. Pretty good coverage and an even better cost ... $0.

www.freecaddie.com

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    What's everyone's experience with the accuracy of the internal GPS modem on their BB devices? Are they accurate enough for a golf gps? I would think even a 5-7y difference would be large to me.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Try it first, If it isn't accurate enough (my Nokia N95 wasn't) for about $60 you can get a nice 66 channel bluetooth GPS and link to that. I have one and I just throw it in the golfbag pocket zipped up and it still gets 9 - 12 satelites at all times and gives good yardages.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I have a BB Tour and find the mapping of the course has far more to do with accuracy then the GPS itself in my experience.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions.

Micheal,
    Just another lefty....

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    the bb gps receiver is crap. I have a gps receiver if you need one. I paid $60 for it 2 years ago. we'll work something out
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Lob Wedge guyincognito is on a distinguished road
    Intelligolf isn't free, but is probably one of the best deals for full featured stats - currently $32 one time price.

Golflogix has better course mapping and distance selection - but is more pricey - $40 per year

Freecaddie has the free version with basic distance to holes, and a paid version with more distance and stat options for $15 one time fee.

Greenfinder looks like another pretty full featured option for $35 a year.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    There is an article in June's Golf Digest about this subject.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I use Freecaddie. Pretty good coverage and an even better cost ... $0.

www.freecaddie.com
    I wish they had Cloverdale.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    I wish they had Cloverdale.
    You can create your own courses on the freecaddie website. It uses bing or google maps, and you add markers for the greens, bunkers, etc. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes per course.

Quote Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
    You can create your own courses on the freecaddie website. It uses bing or google maps, and you add markers for the greens, bunkers, etc. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes per course.
    The satellite image for Cloverdale is terrible. Not sure why becuase with Google Maps I can see the course perfectly.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    What's everyone's experience with the accuracy of the internal GPS modem on their BB devices? Are they accurate enough for a golf gps? I would think even a 5-7y difference would be large to me.
    I am using Intelligolf software with BB Bold . I mapped a few local courses for myself and I would say it's depending on your mapping coordinates.

Typically the internal GPS would lock on to 6-7 satellites. Overall, I saw on average ~2-5 yards off. However I am not sure if 9-12 satellites would make a lot of difference. So for my golf skill level, it's good enough for me.

However I played Canadian last week and on a few 100 yard markers, the yardage is about on average 1-2 yards off..sometimes it spots on on some holes.

The satellite image for Cloverdale is terrible. Not sure why becuase with Google Maps I can see the course perfectly.
    OK, I contacted Support and they told me I am able to switch over to Google Maps. Problem is, when I switch over, the screen on the map goes blank. Again I contacted Support, but no answer yet.

Anyone else have this problem? I was hoping to map out the course before the weekend.

OK, I contacted Support and they told me I am able to switch over to Google Maps. Problem is, when I switch over, the screen on the map goes blank. Again I contacted Support, but no answer yet.

Anyone else have this problem? I was hoping to map out the course before the weekend.
    Perhaps try again. I just looked up cloverdale through the freecaddie website. Initially is wasn't showing the images through the default bing images, but after switching to google maps the images look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    I have a BB Tour and find the mapping of the course has far more to do with accuracy then the GPS itself in my experience.
    Interesting... I tried freecaddie this weekend. Sometimes the yardage seemed to be off by up to 13 yards or so, which is pretty significant. Other times it was spot on. Always had about 7 satellites.

On freecaddie the course are mapped using bing or google maps. I was wondering how accurate those maps are to GPS position...perhaps that was part of the error?

I have a Samsung Omnia, in case that matters. Had absolutely no issues with battery power lasting for the round.

Perhaps try again. I just looked up cloverdale through the freecaddie website. Initially is wasn't showing the images through the default bing images, but after switching to google maps the images look very good.

I just tried it again...several times. It doesn't switch over to Google Maps for me. It doesn't matter where I am on the maps. I wish Support would respond to my question.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar

I can see the Cloverdale on Google Map.

Its at the corner of Armstrong and HW 31. Perhaps you entered the postal code which sometimes points you to the middle of the field for rural area.

The image looks clear enough for mapping.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Golflogix offers Golf GPS, hey Mike, don't you watch the golf channel? Its a prerequisite for this site.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    I can see the Cloverdale on Google Map.

Its at the corner of Armstrong and HW 31. Perhaps you entered the postal code which sometimes points you to the middle of the field for rural area.

The image looks clear enough for mapping.
    I know where it is.
    My viewer goes blank when I switch over to Google Map in the system

I know where it is.
    My viewer goes blank when I switch over to Google Map in the system
    Support got back to me and the problem has been resolved. For those interested, Cloverdale will be mapped out by tomorrow morning.

BTW, I noticed Equinelle has not shown up yet on Google Maps. Not sure when the next schedule photo will be. Is there any other way to get this course in Freecaddie?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Good luck with that if the app is dependent on google maps. Not sure if it's like that everywhere but my townhouse was built in 2006, and up until last month it wasn't mapped and the image didn't show my house. 4 years it took them to update it, lol.

Support got back to me and the problem has been resolved. For those interested, Cloverdale will be mapped out by tomorrow morning.

BTW, I noticed Equinelle has not shown up yet on Google Maps. Not sure when the next schedule photo will be. Is there any other way to get this course in Freecaddie?

Interesting... I tried freecaddie this weekend. Sometimes the yardage seemed to be off by up to 13 yards or so, which is pretty significant. Other times it was spot on. Always had about 7 satellites.

On freecaddie the course are mapped using bing or google maps. I was wondering how accurate those maps are to GPS position...perhaps that was part of the error?

I have a Samsung Omnia, in case that matters. Had absolutely no issues with battery power lasting for the round.
    After mapping out Cloverdale, I went back to view the course. I noticed all my markers were off-set. So I went back into edit mode and the markers were fine. A bit strange...it does not give me the confidence that the yardages are remotely accurate. I am not sure I will download Freecaddie now.

After mapping out Cloverdale, I went back to view the course. I noticed all my markers were off-set. So I went back into edit mode and the markers were fine. A bit strange...it does not give me the confidence that the yardages are remotely accurate. I am not sure I will download Freecaddie now.
    Hmm. I went back to look at a course I had mapped. The markers are still accurate when viewed with bing maps (the default), but if I switch to google maps the markers are often off. Generally the middle of the green is near, probably within 5 yards. The front, back, and special markers can be a fair bit more off.

So, which map is more accurate?

Thread Information