CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    It was interesting to re-read this old thread. I was one of the complainers from last year, but after playing it 4-5 times this season, this course is quickly becoming one of my favorites in the area. Now that a year has passed, are the criticisms as harsh? or is the Gat starting to grow on you too?
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    So? What's changed? Do they have a club house yet? Fairways have grass? Walkable cart paths? Although the first two were not real issues for me and my partner, the latter was a BIG issue. Don't mind the distance but the rip-rap rock was a killer on the feet & joints.

Yes, they are currently re-doing the cart paths with small gravel. It is not complete yet, but the few that have been redone make it a much easier walk.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I just came back from there this pm and they are redoing all the cart paths with fine dust stone and rolling them hard.I too was a critic when I played the first time, gravel stone paths, poor fairways and no water or beer cart on the course, plus the walking beetween holes. I have accepted the walking from hole to hole,fairways need attention and no beverage cart out today,again. The layout is very good and the fantastic greens make it one of my favourites to play. If Richcraft takes it over in the next few years then we will see a difference i hope.Oh, they have started building the club house and if we go by the plans on the website, it will be very nice indeed.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Thumbs up

I just played my best round of the year there today and shot 40 on the front and argh a 51 on the back , damn triples!
    I really like it now, the greens are amazing and very fast and true. The cart paths have been redone and are very easy to walk now. The place is light years better than last year.
    The fairways are in great shape even with all this rain we have had the last 2 months.
    I hated the place last year, but now I really like it.
    I give it 2 thumbs up.
    No real clubhouse yet, maybe by September they will have the new clubhouse built they said last week.
    Great course for the money. I have been converted and I am no longer a Gatineau Hater!
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Wow, I must go. They had great greens years ago, it was only one of the few redeeming features. I will make it out there soon, maybe even today. Are they still starting you on #15?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Wow, I must go. They had great greens years ago, it was only one of the few redeeming features. I will make it out there soon, maybe even today. Are they still starting you on #15?
    Affirmative.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    I like the place too. I would say they were lucky to get all that rain, the fairway sod they had laid down needed it.

One word of warning though, leave the Porsche at home and drive there in the beater car. That is a pretty long, ugly construction road, that takes you right by the driving range, to get to the temporary start.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I played Tuesday and the greens were nice but needed a trim. They would have been golden otherwise.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    If you are paying full price to play there, save your money and place somewhere else. Just my opinion.

For sure
    Lefty Lucas

Lob Wedge ryan151 is on a distinguished road
    How does Gatineau compare to Champlain and LVM? I have a coupon book that has a ton of 2 for 1s for all 3. I played Champlain on wednesday and it was decent besides a couple holes but I haven't played the other 2.

Perosnally, I would rate Gatineau above VM then Champlain. VM is not too difficult, at least at the Gatineau there are some nice holes and it can challenge you. If you have coupons then it is a great deal
    Lefty Lucas

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    If the greens are in good shape, I would play LVM...thats me...

IMO Gatineau is far superior to the other 2 courses.

The Gatineau is superior, I just don't like golfing on courses with houses around the holes on the course...I suspect LVM will have them all over down the road...I even think Chateau Cartier is building as well....

Its a trend that will not stop but that is a double edged sword, it allows builders to offset the cost of including a course.
    Lefty Lucas

C'est la vie...lol

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Houses on golf courses sell for $50 - $75,000 more than the same house in a 'regular' neighborhood.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

That is true...save the 50k-75k and play more golf elsewhere...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ryan151 View Post
    How does Gatineau compare to Champlain and LVM? I have a coupon book that has a ton of 2 for 1s for all 3. I played Champlain on wednesday and it was decent besides a couple holes but I haven't played the other 2.
    I play all three regularly (one of them at least once a week). In order of course difficulty (based on how well I do ), I would rank them (hardest to easiest): Champlain, Gatineau, LVM. Based on overall impressions of the course (layout, conditions, etc), I would rank them as follows (best to worst): Gatineau, LVM, Champlain. Of course, that is my opinion only. YMMV.

Wow, Champlain is harder than both Gatineau and VM, it must have your number, not much trouble at that course.
    Lefty Lucas

It does indeed have my number and a few four letter words As you said, not much trouble at Champlain, but I always manage to find it somehow. For example, being a lefty, I somehow always manage to slice my drive into the marsh (or worse, into the back yard of the house) at #18. I have only managed to break 100 once there (I am a 25 Hcp), whereas I have broken 100 several times at both the Gat and LVM (even broke 90 once at LVM).

Yes, we all have courses that sting us that others seem to play without much trouble. VM has seen the best and worst of my game, the Gatineau does not seem to have my number, YET!
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I am a fan of the Gatineau. I think that if someone where to invest a couple million bucks at the Champlain,it could be just as nice as the Royal Ottawa.Its an old course with mature trees and a good design. Too bad that the people running it cant invest in it. LVM is O.K" but conditions are brutal in the summer.
    Just my 2 cents...

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Played today for first time. Opted to cart because of the impression I got from the threads here about holes being far apart and cart paths being all coarse rock. Someone earlier this week said they had been working on the paths and that a half dozen or so had been "fixed"... they appeared to me today to all be done (or close to being done anyway.)

As for distance between holes, it didn't seem that bad - will walk it the next time to see if I have a different perspective, but as someone who normally walks and carries, it looked like a decent course that is pleasant to walk.

Given EG rates, I can't wait to go back, and once they get the clubhouse built and we can start on #1, it's going to definitely get nicer and nicer as the fairways mature with passing years.

Lob Wedge pieani is on a distinguished road
    Just played Sunday, 19th.
    Glad I got a deal, $33.00!!!! I think they're charging $49 ish.
    Great greens!!! Unfortunately, fairways and green-sides are still far from anything good.
    Verrry dry, hard, patchy...of course you get an extra 30 + yds roll!
    I like the layout, so it has great potential...no clubhouse yet.
    Rate it at a C.
    I'm sure in time the course will mature, but they definitely need to grow the grass, especially around the greens.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    played it for the first time today, thank god I was in a cart , that must be a helluva long walk in the heat. The course has lots of potential, greens are generous but have some interesting undulation and roll nicely. ( I could go on a ball mark rant but I won't). The bunkers are in decent shape and stratigically placed . Some fairway's are dry and patchy but overall passable ( I got a couple of very funky bounces ). One thing I did not like was that the tee boxes were well manicured but I felt like they were not level.
    I think this will be a very nice track in the next 2-3 years as long as they continue to take the proper care.
    Comments seem to be consistent from most posters , a bit of course maturity and a clubhouse with some beverage carts on the course and it will be even better.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    played it for the first time today, thank god I was in a cart , that must be a helluva long walk in the heat. The course has lots of potential, greens are generous but have some interesting undulation and roll nicely. ( I could go on a ball mark rant but I won't). The bunkers are in decent shape and stratigically placed . Some fairway's are dry and patchy but overall passable ( I got a couple of very funky bounces ). One thing I did not like was that the tee boxes were well manicured but I felt like they were not level.
    I think this will be a very nice track in the next 2-3 years as long as they continue to take the proper care.
    Comments seem to be consistent from most posters , a bit of course maturity and a clubhouse with some beverage carts on the course and it will be even better.

I unfortunately didn't cart today and it was a deathly walk between 17 and 18, then between 6 and 7, then 7 and 8 and finally 10 and 11.

I'll go play there again but it's definitely a cart course on hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyOctopus View Post
    I unfortunately didn't cart today and it was a deathly walk between 17 and 18, then between 6 and 7, then 7 and 8 and finally 10 and 11.

I'll go play there again but it's definitely a cart course on hot days.
    Between 3 and 4 is also a hike.

Thread Information