100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Mike.How did you find the hole layout.

Lob Wedge mikep00 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mike.How did you find the hole layout.
    Layout in terms of the holes relative to one another... Brutal. they would offer free carts because of how far they have places some holes away from one another. When you have a 5+ minute walk to the next hole along a gravel road that is so rough that your clubs look like they would fly out of your bag, and you are walking past 2 tee boxes in your hike, it just seems poorly laid out.
    Better yet, for one of the holes where your walk takes you through a residential street (2 times you have to walk through a residential neighbourhood to the next hole), the signs were so poorly marked that I had to ask a kid riding his bike on the street where the next hole was.

But in terms of the hole layouts themselves, I thought they were pretty good. Decent variation was a plus. Some of the walkways being right beside the greens were negatives. But overall I thought the hole layouts were pretty good.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    I played the track for the first time today, honestly very poor condition , the place was closed for 3 years and they open with conditions like this, surprised and dissapointed. I really love the finishing hole #13 shooting through the power lines.
    Ok layout, but the same conditions as the other 2 tracks run by the mangement group Champlain and Vieux Moulins, great potential but under funded, and lack of water.
    Not one of Cook's best designs and I think he did not have much money to work with. I will not be back for at least 5 years till it fills in.
    I will drive to eQuinelle and play there!
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road

Any improvements?

Looking to take advantage of the 2 for 1 in Flagstick but not going to bother if it's as poor as it was reported to be mid-summer. Has anyone played Gatineau lately?

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Looking to take advantage of the 2 for 1 in Flagstick but not going to bother if it's as poor as it was reported to be mid-summer. Has anyone played Gatineau lately?
    I was there twice last week. Fairways are still rough (rocks) at some places, but if you use preferred lie, you should be able to find a decent spot not far from where your ball lands. They have re-sodded (sp?) several portions of fairway for at least 4 or 5 holes.

Greens were very receptive and fast. At 2 for 1, I think it is worth it.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I have played there twice this summer and after my first experience I was willing to accept that it was a new course and had some growing pains.

I like the layout although as houses get built it may get a bit tight - that remains to be seen.

The walk from green to tee is not that bad although there are about half a dozen walks of 200 yards between holes.

The walkways are in need of paving or a layer of stone dust - twisted ankles are a real concern and the rocks beat the dailights out of my pushcart

There has been NO, absolutely NO, improvement in conditions in a month

Fairways are very rough in spots and they are dry and have some browned out areas - I would think they would be pouring the water on a new course to get it growing

Greens are huge but I noticed they have some burned out areas

The price at $59 is ridiculous; at 2 for 1 for $59 it is borderline; at lower prices such as Corp Golf it is OK

I will wait until very late next season before going back because I think it needs a full year of growing in before it is worth the cost.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I was really hoping to see them working hard on filling in bare spots but it seems they are content just leaving nature take its course and the lack of golfers there is proof that this is not a good strategy.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs down Walkability

For all the negative comments about this course I did not find it that bad. Conditions could be better but for me the main factor as to when I play there again is the walk. The ankle turning, cart destroying rock on the long walks between holes is just too much. Hopefully, along with course improvements, they will find time and money to install proper cart paths.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I did not find it too bad either, but I find it amazing that they are not taking advantage of the more wet weather to re-seed areas of fairways which are in obvious need of further care. I loved the greens when I played there a couple of weeks ago, they were running fast and true, pretty slick. I see they are building something between the 18th/10th/1st holes, I hope it is a new clubhouse. I am not trying to put negativity on the situation but can you imagine how busy they would be if they had managed to fill-in the fairways and finished cart paths this season!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I have been looking forward to the redesign/reopening of this course... it looks like it might be best to wait until June 2012 to check it out for the first time. :-(

Gap Wedge STONE_COLD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I did not find it too bad either, but I find it amazing that they are not taking advantage of the more wet weather to re-seed areas of fairways which are in obvious need of further care. I loved the greens when I played there a couple of weeks ago, they were running fast and true, pretty slick. I see they are building something between the 18th/10th/1st holes, I hope it is a new clubhouse. I am not trying to put negativity on the situation but can you imagine how busy they would be if they had managed to fill-in the fairways and finished cart paths this season!!!
    Seeding won't fix it. It need at least 6 inches of topsoil and then re-turf to do a good job. Otherwise it will be like Vieux-Moulins for ever. They did not put enough top-soil on the fairway and it's rock slave under. I guess they thought that grass grown from rocks.

The clubhouse is sitting there since early summer, they moved it recently close to its permanent location between 18, 1 and 10 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by STONE_COLD View Post
    Seeding won't fix it. It need at least 6 inches of topsoil and then re-turf to do a good job. Otherwise it will be like Vieux-Moulins for ever.
    I see, well the same person who ran Vieux for the last few years came fromt he old Gatineau and is still at the Gatineau so go figure. It is almost mind bogelling that they would not do anything to fix this.
    Lefty Lucas

Gap Wedge STONE_COLD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I see, well the same person who ran Vieux for the last few years came fromt he old Gatineau and is still at the Gatineau so go figure. It is almost mind bogelling that they would not do anything to fix this.

And when you pay with your credit card....it said Champlain Golf on the receipt

Yes, there is some kind of association between the 3 golf courses. Champlain has the same sign in sheet for the Corporate memberships as Vieux and Gatineau. There is a common sense of management style as well.
    Lefty Lucas

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The 3 courses are all run by the same management company. Champlain is leased to them by the NCC. Richcraft, the house builders at Gatineau, own the Gatineau course. I believe LVM is still owned by the original group, but they no longer run it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thanks, I knew there was a tie in somewhere.
    Lefty Lucas

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The 3 courses are all run by the same management company. Champlain is leased to them by the NCC. Richcraft are the house builders at Gatineau own the course. I believe LVM is still owned by the original group, but they no longer run it.
    from what i understand richcraft has them running it for 2 years and then it will be turned back over to richcraft.. i guess when the housing development is completed.. i really do hope they address the poor conditions, it started with a bang and has quickly went downhill.. last time i played, i got the 2 for 1 after paying my 60.00. i enjoyed it so little i didnt even bother to go back to play my free round, many if not all the problems discussed here were present.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have played it a few times and I like it. It needs to mature and the gravel on the paths is temporary. They are still installing irrigation so it's a work in progress. It won't be dry once the irrigation is all up and running. Give it some time and it will be very nice.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    I have played it a few times and I like it. It needs to mature and the gravel on the paths is temporary. They are still installing irrigation so it's a work in progress. It won't be dry once the irrigation is all up and running. Give it some time and it will be very nice.
    i love the layout.. never having played the old one, i dont know how it stacks up. but the course itself is not my gripe.. i dont even mind the walk to each hole that much, im all about a good walk for some extra exericse and never complain about that. but the ankle rolling paths and the rock hard ground is annoying.. last time i played there you had to get down on one knee and use both hands to get a tee into the ground. never before have i seen tee boxes that hard.

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road
    I didn't care for it. The greens were the only thing this course had going for it in my opinion.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

I also like the track a lot. I have not come close to twist an ankle as I walk next to the gravel. I don't understand why so many people gripe about it. Would they rather wait another year or so until it is completed They have not even put up the clubhouse nor the proshop as of yet. The proshop is sitting on a tractor trailer base. Rome was not built in one day and it takes $$$ and time. Patience is in order.imho.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Played it again after two months and I am amazed at how nice the greens were today. They cut and rolled them for the money tournament going on there this weekend. Best greens in the area,fast and through.
    Fairways are better and I am getting used to the walk between holes. My wife thought that I was exagerating when I told her it was a long walk beetween holes.Going back tomorow morning at 8;30 because its really worth it.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Starting Monday Oct 4th they are having fall rates.

$25 Mon thrru Thursday
    $30 Friday amd weekends.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Played it for the first time today. I was hesitant to even try it out with RM, because IMHO the old Gatineau was one of the worst golf courses in the area - a terrible layout hacked out dry, rocky scrubland that made LVM look like Augusta. I'm happy to say that its much better now, though you can still see the old Gatineau lurking underneath.

The only redeeming quality of the old course was the greens, and they are still nice. Fast and firm, but consistent and fair. The tee boxes were also in good shape. Some fairways obviously had sod, and they were in good shape. Others were built on the existing ground, and that is where the old Gatineau came through. A lot of gravel and hardpan areas that need to be fixed up. Its the first year so I'll give them a little more time.

I though the par 3's were a little weak, but overall the layout was interesting. Unless you play golf barefoot, I don't really see what the problem is with gravel on the cart paths. The walks between holes are no different than Stonebridge, Emerald Links or a dozen other courses in the region. Its not even in the same league of tough walks as Mont Cascades and Edelweiss. If you don't like the walk then rent a cart.

My only complaint was the course markings. A nice visible 150-yard marker, but the 100 and 200 were blocks in the fairway that you could only see from 10 yards away. No yardage markers on the par 3s - even a marked sprinkler head would do as some of the tee boxes were 40-50 yards long! No hazard or OB stakes. Again, its the first year so I'll give them a little more time.

In the interest of full disclosure, my judgment may be clouded because I finally broke 80 for the first time (15 GIR's, but 39 putts). Naturally, the course is not rated yet...

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road

Smile Gatineau

Just wanted to give my opinion as I had not noticed the thread. I have only played it once but I find people are being way to harsh. Walks are a little long between holes but it is not that tough of a walk and much easier then Cascades, Algonquin or Edelweiss. People have to remember it is the first year and it is still a work in progress. Just to give you guys an example I played a course in Hudson about a week ago called The Falcon and even with it being open for a number of years now there clubhouse is still under construction. Falcon Ridge also took a number of years to build. I do not know anyone on here but I do understand if you are a member at a high end club like Rivermead or Royal Ottawa playing courses like Gatineau or Cartier is a major step down but these courses do not have the budget to compete. I guess I would advise you complainers then to also stay away from The Falcon until there clubhouse is completed because right now it is a small trailer.

I agree with you Bouboude, I was one of the first to critisize the course but after playing it quite a few times last week,it is our favourite course in the area right now. The layout is superb for us. I twisted my ankle monday going from one hole to another on some rocks.Thats my only beef. I guess I need some ankle supports.LOL.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road

Smile Rocks

Marcos I do agree with you that the rocks are a problem and hopefully for us it gets improved quickly. I know at some places between holes you have no choice but I try to walk beside these paths as much as possible. I guess everybody is different but I love trying new courses and having tried so many in Ottawa in the last 25 years I understand that when opening there are almost always things that are not quite ready or in place.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I agree with you Bouboude, I was one of the first to critisize the course but after playing it quite a few times last week,it is our favourite course in the area right now. The layout is superb for us. I twisted my ankle monday going from one hole to another on some rocks.Thats my only beef. I guess I need some ankle supports.LOL.
    Sorry to hear that you twisted your ankle Marcos...I walked on the soft ground wherever I can until I have to on the gravel.

I have now played this course twice and agreed that for its much better than the ones I typically play at (Champlain, Irish Hills, Falcon Ridge, Cedahills, LVM, Canadian ..these are not high end courses of course etc..).

The layout is fantastic (except for that 90deg dogleg ,near the reservois - hole 18 I think), if you place your shot well you can score here with those hugh screen..I definitely enjoy playing there instead of getting beaten up at Stonebridge, Le Sorcier or courses like that

I played it again yesterday and found that it has imporved greatly, all of the rain helped it last month. It still has some sparse fairways but it is filling in nively. The greens run true and are very challenging. There is a nice mix of very tough and some easier holes. Once those fairways get filled in and the cart paths made acceptable it will be terrific.
    Lefty Lucas

Putter denisferguso is on a distinguished road denisferguso's Avatar

Still in good shape

Played the Gatineau yesterday. Still good. Greens still very fast and not punched and sanded yet. The leaves weren't a big problem. And thanks to chieflongtee for the special rate heads up. $25 is a steal on that course.

Thread Information