CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road

Which training aids have worked for you?

I am considering purchasing some training aids and videos and was wondering if anyone had a success story or failures with any products in particular.

Ty Webb
    I, personally, have had great success with a weighted club. Especially in the release department. I took several lessons with a cigar chewing instructor who basically told me to give up golf. This aid helped more in two weeks than the total of my lessons.

Ty

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    Have to say that a weighted club helped me around as well. No lessons taken yet and shooting under 90 now on my second year. Friends noticed my swing plane was much better this year and I have added about 20 yards per club.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    I am considering purchasing some training aids and videos and was wondering if anyone had a success story or failures with any products in particular.
    Driver Headcover.

Place under your left armpit. Hold in place on your backswing. Release after the ball is gone. Best ever for dialing in your irons.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Personally made an "Inside Approach " before it cam out on the market.

I also have a DreamSwing. A must have for a golfer.

Momentus.

Some videotapes.

Presently working on "Bertholy golf swing construction 101" A must buy book.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Nothing I have ever tried has delivered the results promised. I have not gone to any great length to try tons of game-improvement aids, so I'm certainly no expert.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    has anyone tried the medicus?

This is another thread about Medicus: Here

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Nothing I have ever tried has delivered the results promised. I have not gone to any great length to try tons of game-improvement aids, so I'm certainly no expert.

Dan
    Give me 12 back swings with my dreamswing and I will make a believer out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Give me 12 back swings with my dreamswing and I will make a believer out of you.
    Don't get me wrong, I believe in personal instruction.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Don't get me wrong, I believe in personal instruction.

Dan
    It is not personal instruction. It's a training aid. I will show when we play at my course in August and then you will post a thread saying it’s the only training aid that gives you automatic feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    It is not personal instruction. It's a training aid. I will show when we play at my course in August and then you will post a thread saying it’s the only training aid that gives you automatic feed back.
    Okay, it's a deal!

Dan

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    (1) To work on the proper release action for me which is a feeling of no release, ie., the angle at the back of the right wrist never fully straightens, I did this:

Took a 5 iron and cut off the grip cap exposing the open end of the shaft. Took a broken shaft about 10" long and inserted this into the end of the 5 iron. On the butt end of the small piece, I installed about 4" of a Jumbo grip.

Now, when swinging this club, if my hands flip, I whack myself in the hip area with the end of the extension. If I keep my right wrist flexed properly coming through, I don't.

(2) With another old, but cavity backed 5 iron, I epoxied a large amount of lead. Drilled out just the right amount to give me a weighted club that is not too heavy to affect my swing, but heavy enough to strengthen my arms.

(3) On my backyard setup, I have a rubber tee in a 12" by 12" piece of Fiberbuilt matting that you see at many ranges. Into the tee I put a piece of dowling and on to the dowling I placed a small piece of rubber pipe insulation. I use this like many use the "Inside Approach" aid.

Bill M

Home made weighted club

I found an old broken shaft, inserted a screw about 1 1/2 inches up from the bottom and melted an old lead pipe into a pop can and inserted the shaft.

Works like a charm to ensure a complete swing. When it was finished it was a little heavy but a hacksaw fixed that.

I personally like it better than the fancy weighted club I got for Christmas.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Training aids????

You gotta be kidding me!!!

My only aid is waking up at stupid hours on a weekend to give it another shot!

Putter tim70 is on a distinguished road
    the medicus is a very good tool for grooving your swing. it makes you swing the proper way or your finished!! i've had mine for a couple of weeks and boy was i shocked. i thought my swing was pretty good but much to my surprise i could not swing this darn thing back a foot before it broke. after finally making some adjustments on the takeaway ie no hands!! i was able to make a backswing consistently....then it was my downswings turn, i could not even get started and bang it broke. this told me i was starting down abruptly with my hands and upper body. my swing has improved greatly and i can hit it pretty consistently now.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tim70
    the medicus is a very good tool for grooving your swing. it makes you swing the proper way or your finished!! .
    Glad to see that the Medicus is a useful aid for your golf swing and for those who get the club into a position where poor shots would result, the Medicus has to help.

However, when I hear the expression swing the proper way I kinda cringe, because the inference is that there is only one proper way, which is obviously untrue. The Medicus would not work for my kind of swing and I usually hit the ball fairly straight. Would the medicus work for Jim Furyk, Lee Trevino, Bruce Lietzske, ...?

The three golf swing imperatives are: 1, hands ahead of the ball at impact, 2, a flat left wrist, 3, an on plane swing. One can achieve these three consistenty and still have the Medicus breakdown.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Medicus

I took the medicus dual hinged at Golf Town and gave it a try. I thought a had a pretty good swing with some quirks like eveyone but all and all not to bad. After the medicus I was sure of it because it never broke, unless I snaped it at the take away but I could swing that thing all day and never break it. Feeling even better about my swing I thought to do some winter practice to keep things the way they were. I went to Pineview and joined the winter golf academy and after a couple of times i am pretty much rebuilding my swing. My point to this is, training aids are good for tempo, or grip but for swing plane, club release and body rotation nothing beats the eyes of someone who is qualified with the proper knowledge and has the ability to teach it back to you. I never thought much of lessons before and I self taught myself through books, but this new experience has changed my mind. If you want to play better golf and you can't seem to get the ball striking you are looking for through self taught books, save the money from gadgets and go to a pro and have someone besides the guy in you foursome who shoots a couple strokes lower than you give you some help.
    Just my opinion,
    Denny

Thread Information