100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge curls is on a distinguished road

Lessons at Pineview - specific instructor

I have an excellent deal facing me via a program at my work. I can get 4 1-hr group lessons, 4 free 9-hole games after the lessons, and rental clubs (which I definately don't need, but its included anyhow), all for $125.

The thing is, it's minimum 8 people (which I have gathered from my department at work).

Will I be getting ANY instruction with a group of 8 people? I am about a 23 handicap, and I'd think most of the others in my group would be in the 25-to-400000 range as there are a few completely new people to the game who will be joining us.

Has anyone had any experiences with Greg Ward at Pineview before? He seems nice, and I want to take this opportunity to sharpen my game a bit (read: lose a hook / inside-out swing), as well as have some fun in the group setting.

Will this be valuable to me? I've never taken lessons in the 3 years I've been playing, and the price is right, but I'm leery of being ignored as it's part of a large group.

Any thought?

~Eric

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am sure you will benefit, but there may be a lot of very basic stuff for the beginners.

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    I once took group lessons when I was first starting.

I took them at Connolly's Driving Range (Richmond) from Ross...I found them to be extremely useful. The structure of the lessons was: he'd demonstrated a technique, then went from person to person on the range making sure they understood it, and performed it properly. Then he'd proceed to the next technique, and so on for about 1/2 the lesson. Then he'd spend the last half going from person to person watching them and seeing how the whole thing was going. Overall, there was alot of 1 on 1 instruction.

I think being the best golfer in the group could be frustrating for you, as you may find some of the things taught might be the kinds of things taught in a first lesson...but of course, if you follow every step even if it seems way too easy, you might start noticing bad habits (i.e. in your setup & grip...the kind of stuff that slowly goes wrong over time )

BTW...if anyone's ever in Richmond, give Connolly's driving range a try, and if you know anyone looking for a really relaxing comfortable introduction to golf, Ross is the guy to get lessons from (great guy, and competitivly priced). I know that's a little off topic, but I'd like to get the word about about Ross

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road

Ross Leeder, Conley's Driving Range

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Ross as an instructor and a person. I have taken numerous lessons from him, both private and group. He is not the one for watching the clock either. Some of my 30 minutes lessons have went on to 45-60 minutes, no extra charge.

Thread Information