100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jason Spezza

3 Iron Longball is on a distinguished road Longball's Avatar

Jason Spezza

Does anyone here think Ottawa should trade Spezza? I personally dont think they should. 46 points in 46 playoff games. 1 of 8 players to play 300 games and be a point a game player. He turns the puck over a bit but not as much as in the past. Crosby's goal in the playoffs was as much Phillip's fault as Spezza's. Watch the replay, no need for Phillip's to start backing out of the zone when Spezza had full control of the of the play. Anyway trading Spezza would be a huge mistake !

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think he could be on the block, esp since his no trade kicks in July 1. He's a love/hate kind of guy and fairly one dimensional, though he showed he has the ability to do more. Pure scorers/playmakers are hard to find though. I think he still needs to and is capable of more, he just doesn't seem to want it sometimes. A lot of decisions need to be made for next year and they have a lot of $ tied up and a bunch of guys to sign. Kovalev will be interesting as he has a long summer of rehab ahead. I think they would be happy if he retired.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Here are the facts: He has 7 years left on his contract, 7 million/year cap hit, he averages a point per game, plays subpar defense, has offensive talent but tries to make fancy plays which leads to turnovers, isn't very physical, yet is still young entering his prime.

I think he's overpaid. If Ottawa wants to get better, they should trade him to improve their team, but nobody would want him. Well, maybe the Rangers.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    It is a no win situation... I would personally keep him. Did the Sens got good value for Heatley... that is what usually happens when you trade a star for 3 2nd or 3rd line player... might as well try to get a draft pick you might get lucky (Bruins is a good example).

His salary is OK for his production and usually in the play-off he gets his points.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Here are the facts: He has 7 years left on his contract, 7 million/year cap hit, he averages a point per game, plays subpar defense, has offensive talent but tries to make fancy plays which leads to turnovers, isn't very physical, yet is still young entering his prime.

I think he's overpaid. If Ottawa wants to get better, they should trade him to improve their team, but nobody would want him. Well, maybe the Rangers.
    he has 4 years left on his contract.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Ottawa will never win with Spezza. He could be a top 5-10 talent in the league if he had any heart. He'd rather giggle during interviews than put in the work imo.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Spezza has done a lot this year to improve my opinion of him. End of last year, I would have been in the same boat as a lot of you - Trade him, he is too much of a liability!

Throughout the regular season this year he showed a much-renewed work effort and commitment to both defensive responsibility and more physical play. In the playoffs, a lot of that came unhinged, that much was obvious. Old habits die hard, and I think he victimized himself by trying to force too many plays against a very patient and cagey opponent.

He had a somewhat quieter year in terms of production, but I think of it as a symptom of Alfie having a somewhat off-year too, and the lack of a 3rd linemate of the same calibre as Dany Heatly. One line combination I don't recall seeing this year was Spezza-Kovalev up front on the first line. I can understand from a turnover perspective how this might have been unpalatable to the defence-conscious Clouston, but does anyone recall if this was even tried?

I think one of the things holding the Sens' top performers back this year was the ability for the opposition to focus on only one or two players on each of our top lines. Not to knock on Regin and Michalek's excellent performances this year, but you have to consider that some of their 'surprise' production was a direct result of whom they were paired with and the attention they drew.

Anyways, back on topic - you could trade Spezza away, sure. But who would you trade him for that would add value to the team? Granted, there's other top centermen I could see playing here, but you would almost certainly have to trade Spezza AND a solid 2nd asset, and take some financial liability in return to make that work. In doing so, you'd damage the depth we built on this year and that we so sorely missed in the Stanley Cup Finals a few short years ago...

Its a gamble either way, but I'm inclined to stick with the devil I know in this case.
    Wannabe Golf

shop him around and see what you get. I really like Matt Cullen and would like to see him stay. No room though right now. If the leafs traded 2 1st round picks for Kessel, Spezza is worth at least that.

Hybrid chris_woods is on a distinguished road chris_woods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    He had a somewhat quieter year in terms of production, but I think of it as a symptom of Alfie having a somewhat off-year too, and the lack of a 3rd linemate of the same calibre as Dany Heatly. One line combination I don't recall seeing this year was Spezza-Kovalev up front on the first line. I can understand from a turnover perspective how this might have been unpalatable to the defence-conscious Clouston, but does anyone recall if this was even tried?

I don't think it was tried, but I don't think it would work to well seeing as how they are both playmakers, and both like to rush the puck.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Keep him. I enjoy watching him.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    he was on fire when he came back from injury. I find his smirking and laughing after every lost game interview a bit annoying but what can you do...

7mil a season is to $$$ for him in my opinion.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    His offensive talents are hard to match, and defensively he has improved every year. He still has the odd brain cramp, but that's getting better too. The Heatley trade took some adjustment, but now he's shooting the puck more - which I've always felt he needed to do. He would be very difficult to replace on the power play. Plus in terms of age he's just coming into his prime for a hockey player.

As long as he keeps improving I would keep him.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    i made this comment a couple times over the course of the series: While Spezza is a great player, it became abundantly clear that he is not part of the future of this team. His style simply does not fit, and he has shown an inability to show the defensive responsibility that is needed of him.

I do not blame Spezza, or think he played particularly poorly (though he had rough moments). But, watching him, it became evident (at least to me) that he will not be a part of a successful Sens team.

I hope he finds a spot somewhere else, where his skillset can be put to better use. He's had some great years with us, but i just don't see him here much longer. Hopefully they can move him with that bohemoth of a contract

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    he has 4 years left on his contract.
    we were both wrong. correct answer is 5 years.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...=0910&expand=y
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    i made this comment a couple times over the course of the series: While Spezza is a great player, it became abundantly clear that he is not part of the future of this team. His style simply does not fit, and he has shown an inability to show the defensive responsibility that is needed of him.

I do not blame Spezza, or think he played particularly poorly (though he had rough moments). But, watching him, it became evident (at least to me) that he will not be a part of a successful Sens team.

I hope he finds a spot somewhere else, where his skillset can be put to better use. He's had some great years with us, but i just don't see him here much longer. Hopefully they can move him with that bohemoth of a contract
    if he's not a part of the future of the Sens, I shudder to think of their prospects for future success.

If there's anything I don't want to see, it's the "progression" of this franchise into a Calgary Flames-type team, where sure they play good defense but scoring goals is a huge problem. No way, no thanks.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    shop him around and see what you get. I really like Matt Cullen and would like to see him stay. No room though right now. If the leafs traded 2 1st round picks for Kessel, Spezza is worth at least that.
    Not all GM drinks or funny tobacco...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    if he's not a part of the future of the Sens, I shudder to think of their prospects for future success.

If there's anything I don't want to see, it's the "progression" of this franchise into a Calgary Flames-type team, where sure they play good defense but scoring goals is a huge problem. No way, no thanks.
    That's not at all what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting a team based on speed, quickness, tough forechecking, and defensive responsibility.

As long as Spezza is an integral part of the offence, they will have difficulty scoring goals when it comes to the playoffs. He can't play the playoff game the way it needs to be played.

He'd be an incredible asset to a rebuilding team, but for Ottawa, he's not what they need going forward.

a winger that can put up 82 points is worth more than a center than can put up 82 points. centers are a dime a dozen in the nhl. 15 of the top 30 scores were centers. probably a few D and the rest are Lw and RW. thats maybe 7 each vs 15c's in the top 30.
    willy

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Anyone think Murray could possibly shop Volchenkov and Spezza as a sweet package deal? I don't think we can afford the money Volchenkov wants and this could be a good way to get increased value in trading Spezza. I for one would like to see them stay, especially Volchenkov.
    "Get your smile on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Not all GM drinks or funny tobacco...
    all you need is one!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    Anyone think Murray could possibly shop Volchenkov and Spezza as a sweet package deal? I don't think we can afford the money Volchenkov wants and this could be a good way to get increased value in trading Spezza. I for one would like to see them stay, especially Volchenkov.
    that's definitely attractive to a lot of teams.

Let's face it, Spezza is now the Sens whipping buy with Redden and Vermette gone. Despite what we all think of him, he is a point a game guy and star player that a lot of teams would covet to sell tickets.

he is def not a star player... but he is a point a game guy. when you think top 15 players in the NHL spezza is not one of them.
    willy

Thread Information