+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road

Pause at the top

Does anyone pause at the top before the downswing ,just started doing this ball seems to go a lot straighter ,anyone else ever try this

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelaurin View Post
    Does anyone pause at the top before the downswing ,just started doing this ball seems to go a lot straighter ,anyone else ever try this
    Depends on the length of the pause. If you feel like your arms are stopped at the top for a split second, IMO, you have a much better chance of bringing the club down correctly.

But, while you might feel like you are stopped at the top, the lower body will actually start forward first, without your feeling it, in anticipation of the arms coming down.

Keep pausing.

almost 2 sec at the top couldnt believe how far my irons were going ,hooked the odd one though

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I was reading about this technique in golf digest, have not tried it... But if it will help straighten my hook that I have been fighting for the last like 15+ games, I will almost try anything.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Your slice is incurable! And if you do cure it, I'm in trouble lol

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Your slice is incurable! And if you do cure it, I'm in trouble lol
    oh i know...

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Yes...I make a consciuos effort to pause at te top and it really helps my ball striking. When I have seen myself on video whats seems like a long pause in my head certainly doesn't look like a long pause on video.

I find doing this really helps tempo and stops me coming over the top

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    For me the pause at the top is more like the transition period from back swing to down swing. You have to give things time to change direction and further more you need to get the weight shifted to the lead foot before things really get moving "down". Some advocate the lower body starts the other way just before the downswing starts but that seems to be more a personal preference.

I think the biggest thing here is to not rush the transition in order to maintain positions and balance. You hit the ball at the bottom of the downswing not at the top and there is lots of time to get the club head accelerated up to full speed. Bobby Jones swing was analyzed and the start of his down swing accelerated hardly more than the speed of something falling due to gravity.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    sweet, Im' gonna try it when I play scott and rez.. i need all the help i can get
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I also pause at the top. I find that I make more consistent shots this way. It stops that quick swing that causes so many off line shots.

Going to try it Thursday if the snow is gone ,its taken away alot of slice spin now if only I could get the putter going

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    My teacher actually has me purposely stop at the top to try and get my body and arms more in sync. My problem is that my lower body out races my upper body and I get stuck and then have to flip my hands in an effort to save the shot. This helps time my lower body and upper body, or at least that's the goal. I don't do this in my regular swing, just when I am practicing. I have done it in warm up as well and I find it helps my ball striking.

Thread Information