CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar

Inconsiderate people....

It seems everytime I have been out this year I watch people hit their ball almost two fairways over off the tee. These people will actually drive across another groups fairway and play the ball. Not pick it up and take a drop, they will hold up the group on that hole and the group behind them and so on.

#1 It is out of bounds...
    #2 It is not fair to the other groups around you to do this
    #3 It is not safe! Not for you or another golfer.

Go pick up your ball if it is visible and safe, and drop the ball on your own fairway. Chances are, if you are that far over taking a drop won't be that big of a deal to your score.

This is not directed at anyone. Just frustrated. Maybe I am wrong, this is my 3rd year golfing. Is this not frowned upon just like talking when it is anothers turn?

Micheal.
    Just another lefty....

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless there is OB marked, a ball is NOT out of bounds simply because it is two fairways over. You cannot simply pick up your ball and drop it in your own fairway! That is against the rules of golf.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I would never do what you suggest.
    #1 If it's in another fairway it's not out of bounds
    #2 It doesn't take long and if done properly doesn't interfere with other groups
    #3 If you're careful it's safe enough

And it's totally against the rules to take a drop as you suggest.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    try to play on courses that do not let you play on the other fairways... I.e. LeSocier if you are not on fairway, you're on the woods... if you are on the woods, you're ball is gone.

Yet, I am guilty I do it all the times.. use other fairway to come back to mine. Trust me I am not the only one....

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless there is OB marked, a ball is NOT out of bounds simply because it is two fairways over. You cannot simply pick up your ball and drop it in your own fairway! That is against the rules of golf.
    Well, I guess you learn something new everyday. I honestly had no idea. I always thought it was the tree line and or the markers for the other fairways.

However, I disagree with you gbower. In most cases you have a group behind you and you are holding them up, especially if you have to wait for the people on that other fairway you hit. In my experience the people that are hitting that far over usually do not recover so well and sometimes keep it in that fairway for their third shot. AND there are quite a few tee boxes out there that you hit over a roller and can't always see that there is someone down there playing their ball. Which would be the unsafe part. (which happend today, the group infront of us was telling us how they almost hit a group playing a ball on their fairway due to a roller) Ofcourse, this is just my opinion.
    Just another lefty....

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    All I know is that soon enough I'm going to get pinged with a stray ball, I've come quite close twice already, and at this rate it's bound to happen soon lol. In my first year I did play from other fairways though, thankfully it's pretty rare these days, especially with the way I've been hitting my driver lately, straight as an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    All I know is that soon enough I'm going to get pinged with a stray ball, I've come quite close twice already, and at this rate it's bound to happen soon lol. In my first year I did play from other fairways though, thankfully it's pretty rare these days, especially with the way I've been hitting my driver lately, straight as an arrow.

Exactly, and this is my point. I am not talking about a good golfer that has a bad drive once in a while. I am talking about the groups that are hitting every fairway but theres every hole and are holding people up on both ends. And if you are hitting other fairways every tee then more than likely you aren't even keeping score. Just out to have fun.

I am refering to a couple groups I have had the pleasure of being behind this year that held everyone up.
    Just another lefty....

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If that is the case it's up to the course marshalls to get speed them along.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I guess you just have to sympathize with them, you were at that point sometime too right?
    They're probably out there to have fun, but don't consider continually dropping it back in their fairway to be fun
    As long as they're still trying to keep up with the pace of play you can't really fault them, if they're really are being inconsiderate of others then that's a different story. Like jvincent said, up to the marshalls to kick em in the butt.

I guess you just have to sympathize with them, you were at that point sometime too right?
    They're probably out there to have fun, but don't consider continually dropping it back in their fairway to be fun
    As long as they're still trying to keep up with the pace of play you can't really fault them, if they're really are being inconsiderate of others then that's a different story. Like jvincent said, up to the marshalls to kick em in the butt.

I do agree to a certain extent. If they are keeping pace that is fine. I still don't think it is all that safe but that is up to them. However this group did not keep pace at all, there was no marshall, and they were really taking their time. I was at that point but when I was I would just tak a drop into the rough on my side just so that I didn't hold anyone up, I wasn't too worried about the rules at that point. I am happy to say I haven't had to do that for a while
    Just another lefty....

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    However, I disagree with you gbower.
    Just to let you know, GBower is a respected rule official... We (members) regularly ask him to clarify some rules... trust me what he says goes (99% of the time...)

So yes you are allowed to hit the ball from another fairway and it happens to most of us. Like somebody suggested, play on a course where you can't play from another fairway... Even Tiger had to play from 2 fairway over during the Master...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Just to let you know, GBower is a respected rule official... We (members) regularly ask him to clarify some rules... trust me what he says goes (99% of the time...)

So yes you are allowed to hit the ball from another fairway and it happens to most of us. Like somebody suggested, play on a course where you can't play from another fairway... Even Tiger had to play from 2 fairway over during the Master...

I am not saying I do not trust what he says as I wrote earlier, "you learn something new everyday".

As I also said earlier, I am not talking about it happenning once in a while, say every 3 or 4 holes. I am talking about almost every hole and not keeping pace.

I think I was quite clear. My first message states that I was unsure if it was frowned upon or not. And later stated IMO when it is happenning over and over and they are taking their time, it makes it frustrating for other players.
    Just another lefty....

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Ah everyone is out there for fun. If they pay the fee then they are allowed to play. I do agree on the part of being slow and slowing down other people. That is inconsiderate... Though, do remember it is the beginning of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    Ah everyone is out there for fun. If they pay the fee then they are allowed to play. I do agree on the part of being slow and slowing down other people. That is inconsiderate... Though, do remember it is the beginning of the year
    This is true.

And so far it has been a great season. I have been out this season almost as much as last years total. 8 times
    Just another lefty....

Thanks Chambokl, I also hate slow players in front and when no marshals are on the course I've called the pro shop and they have sent someone out to let the people in front know. It is up to the group in front of you to keep up to the group in front of them. Yesterday we had trouble keeping up as a couple of people didn't walk too quickly but we actually ended up waiting on the 18th tee and finished in 4hrs 10min.
    The danger factor is something you will never get away from. I've been hit in the middle of the back from a tee shot well off line and with lots of trees separating the fairway and the green I was on. On an open course people will crank on the ball a lot more and spray big time. On a tighter course it's usually not as bad as I think the focus is better with the trees lining fairways.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Funny. When I see people come into our fairway, pick up and scoot sheepishly out of the way I think "Why on earth wouldn't he just play it?"
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

On the right of our first hole is the driving range which is out of bounds and it's interesting the number of people I see over there hitting their 2nd or 3rd shots. Talk about danger standing in driving range!!!!!
    Last edited by gbower; 04-26-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Isn't the range OB?

People just don't seem to know when to, and when not to.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I have almost been hit a few times now... Not yet luckily... But I guess if you dont want to get hit with a golf ball... Dont play a contact sport like golf

....OH WAIT. I did get nailed with a ball last weekend... I'll leave names out on this one.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Isn't the range OB?

People just don't seem to know when to, and when not to.
    The range IS out of bounds and the 4 foot high, white stakes that we installed down that side AND to the right of #2, confirm this. Watching guys hit balls from the out of bounds, I have often wondered if they did not see the stakes. Perhaps if we put in 10' high, 6 X 6's topped with razor wire, they would get the message? Since our range is heavily used, I would hate to see anyone hit because of stupidity or stubbornness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    I have almost been hit a few times now... Not yet luckily... But I guess if you dont want to get hit with a golf ball... Dont play a contact sport like golf

....OH WAIT. I did get nailed with a ball last weekend... I'll leave names out on this one.
    You don't have to leave names out....IT WAS ME!!! Hearzy was up by the green behind a bunker getting ready to play, I was 40 yards out chipping, and I hit a line-drive into the back of his leg. I accidentally shanked it.......or did I haha kidding

It seems everytime I have been out this year I watch people hit their ball almost two fairways over off the tee. These people will actually drive across another groups fairway and play the ball. Not pick it up and take a drop, they will hold up the group on that hole and the group behind them and so on.

#1 It is out of bounds...
    #2 It is not fair to the other groups around you to do this
    #3 It is not safe! Not for you or another golfer.

Go pick up your ball if it is visible and safe, and drop the ball on your own fairway. Chances are, if you are that far over taking a drop won't be that big of a deal to your score.

This is not directed at anyone. Just frustrated. Maybe I am wrong, this is my 3rd year golfing. Is this not frowned upon just like talking when it is anothers turn?
    Slow play is inexcusable and should be dealt with by the course, but bad play is part of a very difficult game, and has to be tolerated. As a relative beginner, you should understand this. Since most golfers count score, the idea of just picking up the ball and dropping it somewhere is not permitted under the rules, and should not be expected. It is up to the player whose ball is off line to wait for the golfers playing the hole to play their shots OR wave the player up. If you don't keep score then do what ever you want, but you must not expect others to do the same.

There is a lot more that needs to be understood about the game and by playing with more experienced golfers who understand proper etiquette and the rules, your understanding will deepen, as well. Playing behind snails IS frustrating, but most times, there is nothing you can do about it, so relax and enjoy the sunshine. (or the snow that is forecasted for tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Slow play is inexcusable and should be dealt with by the course, but bad play is part of a very difficult game, and has to be tolerated. As a relative beginner, you should understand this. Since most golfers count score, the idea of just picking up the ball and dropping it somewhere is not permitted under the rules, and should not be expected. It is up to the player whose ball is off line to wait for the golfers playing the hole to play their shots OR wave the player up. If you don't keep score then do what ever you want, but you must not expect others to do the same.

There is a lot more that needs to be understood about the game and by playing with more experienced golfers who understand proper etiquette and the rules, your understanding will deepen, as well. Playing behind snails IS frustrating, but most times, there is nothing you can do about it, so relax and enjoy the sunshine. (or the snow that is forecasted for tonight)

Very true and I appreciate the responses as I had no idea that the other fairway is technically still in bounds. I actually thought that you were suppose to go get the ball and take a drop, and take a stroke.

I think the reason for this is, when I first started to play; the guys I was with believed the same and did the same. I was always told when first starting golf to just pick it up and take a drop to prevent holding up other groups. Now knowing that it is expected it won't bother me and I will inform my buddy that he can now play those as I have told him to take a drop everytime.

I will be playing in the snow tomorrow

Micheal.
    Just another lefty....

5 Iron Golfmad is on a distinguished road
    I think the other thing that golfers need to realize is that the person on the wrong fairway didn't try to put it there and isn't trying to hold anyone up: s/he just toed one or something. Have a bit of patience, let them play, and get on with it. You will, in all probability, be right back in your proper spot within a hole or two, and no later than the next par 3, so there won't be any time lost.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I try to be patient with errant shots, its not like I have never been there myself! As for slow play I have always tried to be curteous when confronting a slow group in front of me if they are to blame but only if there is no marshall handy. It can turn into a bad situation quickly. Best to let the course handle it, now that is a different story in each case!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have seen people play from the range at Kingsway as well, I just dont get it. Not only will likely not find your ball if they are all white but it is OB, so stay out!! I wonder if you are liable if you are on the range and hitting when someone walks into it from the course and you hit them? Oh well that's another discussion.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Very true and I appreciate the responses as I had no idea that the other fairway is technically still in bounds. I actually thought that you were suppose to go get the ball and take a drop, and take a stroke.
    Out of bounds is an area where play is prohibited. Practice ranges, parking lots and so on are often but not always out of bounds. Likewise, if your ball is hit off course property, it is out of bounds, as well. Out of bounds is usually marked, and if stakes are used, they are white.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    All I know is that soon enough I'm going to get pinged with a stray ball, I've come quite close twice already, and at this rate it's bound to happen soon lol.
    It's not as common as you seem to believe it to be - I've played as much golf as pretty much anyone since 1982 and have only been hit by a ball once... walking up the right side of what is currently par 3 #7 at Champlain.

While stray balls aren't uncommon, actually being hit by one isn't.

But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    It's not as common as you seem to believe it to be - I've played as much golf as pretty much anyone since 1982 and have only been hit by a ball once... walking up the right side of what is currently par 3 #7 at Champlain.

While stray balls aren't uncommon, actually being hit by one isn't.
    This is my 50th year of golf and I have yet to be hit by a stray ball. Perhaps it's time I dawned a hard hat.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    I do think the onus is on the "guests" on the other fairway to allow the people that "belong" on the fairway to shoot first and have priority. Also, it's nice to spend as little time on the other fairway as possible, ie. don't drive up and down it, rather just straight to the ball.

I actually broke a guys finger once. I can't remember what course it was, but a group a head of us kept playing off our fairway all day long. At one point, I hit a bad tee shot, and ended up just at the start of the fairway, which was a good 50 yard downhill to the top where the dogleg was. I went down to take my shot, and the others in my group went to the top of the hill and gave the all clear. I guess during my set up, the "other guys" came on our fairway again, and were driving in the middle of our fairway a good piece.....

I hit my shot, and lost it at the top of the hill. Well, I guess my ball hit one of the guys in the cart and looked to break his pinky. I found this out when I met back up with the guys in my group and they told me.

I felt bad of course, but as one member of my group remakred, they put themselves in danger by travelling straight down our fairway, ignoring what was going on.......

I never actually saw the guy, but hope he healed, as well as learned a lesson.

Whenever I have to cross fairways, I always travel on the side, in the rough, near the trees, until I find my ball and head straight out to it for my shot. I also look and make sure no one is hitting before running out!

Thread Information