CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Putter Danno is on a distinguished road Danno's Avatar

How to hit it farther

I am new at golf, so please don't laugh. I went out to the driving range today and was only getting about 150 yards with my driver which kind of disappoints me. The good news is that most of them were straight at least.
    Also, I was hitting against a stiff wind at the time, and the range balls were in pretty bad shape.
    I want to hit much farther than that.
    Any ideas?

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Practice.

Take lessons.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    You're new to golf, the best thing you can do is take lessons. They'll teach you the basics and with a solid foundation you'll hit it further. If lessons are a problem, youtube videos I guess? They'll probably all say similar things though, keep your front arm straight, and release the club at the proper time to increase clubhead speed.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    How to hit it farther 101.

1. Hit the ball in the center of the clubface. This is the most important part.

2. Swing faster. Note that I said faster, not harder.

#2 is harder than you think if you are going to also obey #1.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

2. Swing faster. Note that I said faster, not harder.

#2 is harder than you think if you are going to also obey #1.
    Can you be black and white in saying that a 'faster' backswing equates to a faster downswing? Or is it more in the hip-shoulder-turn-corkscrew motion?

Weird things start happening in your backswing when you speed things up.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I am new at golf, so please don't laugh. I went out to the driving range today and was only getting about 150 yards with my driver which kind of disappoints me. The good news is that most of them were straight at least.
    Also, I was hitting against a stiff wind at the time, and the range balls were in pretty bad shape.
    Any ideas?
    the order doesn't really matter, but you should do the following:

get fitted for clubs
    buy the clubs
    take lessons
    go to the gym to work on arms/back/legs/core strength
    practice practice practice
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Can you be black and white in saying that a 'faster' backswing equates to a faster downswing? Or is it more in the hip-shoulder-turn-corkscrew motion?
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

What matters is clubhead speed. How you get more clubhead speed, i.e. swing faster, is a complex discussion.

Generally speaking, a faster backswing does not mean more clubhead speed.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    the order doesn't really matter, but you should do the following:

get fitted for clubs
    buy the clubs
    take lessons
    go to the gym to work on arms/back/legs/core strength
    practice practice practice
    I wouldn't totally agree with that order, particularly the getting fitted and taking lessons. But I certainly agree that those are two essential pieces of the puzzle.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Being "old school" it took a long time and a lot of impact tape for me to be convinced of this, but hitting just above the centre of the club face with a slightly positive angle of attack, results in less spin, higher launch and more distance.

Getting new clubs also helps! lol Got my new KZGs today from Don and went to the range. Hitting further than my old irons and so nice and crisp, felt great.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Being "old school" it took a long time and a lot of impact tape for me to be convinced of this, but hitting just above the centre of the club face with a slightly positive angle of attack, results in less spin, higher launch and more distance.
    This guy from New Zealand claims he gained 30-50 yards
    http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/golfSwingPhysics.php
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    This guy from New Zealand claims he gained 30-50 yards
    http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/golfSwingPhysics.php
    This is an excellent report and most revealing about what could increase our club head speed, (maintaining the angle) and what decreases it (use of the hands/wrists). So many instructors talk about releasing the club but any effort to do so is detrimental.

Putting the club in the right position coming down ("single plane" swing) causes a natural release, maximizing CHS, whereas a swing too upright necessitates the use of the hands/wrists to compensate and square the club face.

The report confirms that anyone using the Bertholy programmes, which were specifically designed to address the maintenance of the wrist kock angle, has a greater chance of increasing distance. Add to that the strengthening of the lead arm and shoulder and you have a simple formula for better ball striking. Of course, the club manufacturers won't like this because they want you to believe that it is their equipment that gives you a better game, not the swing fundamentals.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    When I started playing this game seriously about 6 years ago, I was an absolute bunt off the tee. I'd say I averaged 94 mph with my driver, and carried it about 225-230. Now, I was only 135 lbs soaking wet at the time, but I knew that I needed to get more clubhead speed if I actually wanted to compete. Essentially, other than the fact that I was a newcomer to the game, I didn't incorporate my complete body in my full swing. While the arms are the 'main' source of power, your entire body needs be strong and balanced to generate clubhead speed.

University golf tournaments always played no shorter than 6800 yards, and we'd often play 7000+ yards in October weather. A high, spinny tee shot wouldn't let me compete - plain and simple.

Two major things have happened over the past year and a bit that have dramatically increased my overall distance off of the tee. First, I found the right driver that matched my move into the ball perfectly. From doing fittings last year, I found out that there's no 'ideal' set of launch numbers that fit everyone. It all depends on so many variables.

Second, I decided to majorly focus on my overall fitness level. I started doing weights a few years ago, but never took it seriously enough. Last August, I committed myself to a full-body routine with dumbbells, sporadic yoga, and running. I've gained 16 lbs. since August, and I can still wear the same pants from last year!

My most recent flightscope numbers when I took it out the other day showed me that I now average 105 mph with the driver - a huge improvement from 6 years ago. Strangely enough, the swings where I tried to step it up a notch were actually LOWER than the smooth swings with a big shoulder turn. There's a great young player at the Hunt who was averaging 118 mph on the driver - hits it an absolute ton when he catches one... I've come to the conclusion, that some of us will never get to tiger-esque levels.

Your fitness level will help with so many other more important variables than clubhead speed too: balance, flexibility, and stamina over 18 holes. It's not something that can change overnight, but a conscious commitment to it can definitely lead you in the right direction.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    ...Your fitness level will help with so many other more important variables than clubhead speed too: balance, flexibility, and stamina over 18 holes. It's not something that can change overnight, but a conscious commitment to it can definitely lead you in the right direction.
    I agree that fitness will improve your ability to hit the ball with greater club-head speed, providing greater distance off the tee.

(However, the easiest way to hit the ball further off the tee is to play from the red tees.)

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    Find a pro and take lessons. Grip, ball position, take away etc. can really make a difference. Then practice, practice, practice.

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Any ideas?
    You've been getting a lot of good advice regarding lessons, equipment, etc. but I'm pretty surprised no one has mentioned this yet. This little nugget was key for me breaking that 150 yard barrier with my driver...

Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. It's like a carousel. You put the quarter in, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around. Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the flow.

Gap Wedge dirt magnet is on a distinguished road
    I only started golfing a few years ago after having played several times as a teenager and young adult. My advice like many others here would just be to get out and practice. Things happen a lot quicker when you're hitting balls over and over. Mix up your practice time too, so that you're working on your long irons, your short game and your putting.

I also recommend checking out some tips on youtube. They won't solve all your problems, or answer all your questions, but they might suggest some things you hadn't considered.

The most important thing in my opinion however, for where you are right now, is practice.

Don't let frusteration or the need to hit longer and longer drives get in the way of your developement.

From what I'm hearing in the other thread 'Drove The Green - Ka-Kaw' it looks like if you want to hit it really far, being 'heavy-set' helps a lot! Eat up my friend! lol

[QUOTE=Adska;356844]
    Last August, I committed myself to a full-body routine with dumbbells, sporadic yoga, and running. I've gained 16 lbs. since August, and I can still wear the same pants from last year!

[QUOTE=Adska;356844]

Question.Are you still a growing boy? IMHO 16 lbs of true muscles is not done overnight for someone over 40. Did you follow a special diet? How often do you train? Special weight training routine?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    simple --- take some lessons. (it will save you time).
    Sure and I agree but why do tour players work out nowadays?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    simple --- take some lessons. (it will save you time).

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Sure and I agree but why do tour players work out nowadays?
    It's pretty rare you see a reply with a quote before someone posts that quote?
    Last edited by mberube; 05-15-2010 at 07:03 AM.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road

Question.Are you still a growing boy? IMHO 16 lbs of true muscles is not done overnight for someone over 40. Did you follow a special diet? How often do you train? Special weight training routine?
    I'm 26 years old, so hopefully I'm not considered a growing boy... My weight training is drastically reduced now that the season started, and in a month I've lost about 3 lbs. However, in the off season I was doing a combo of weights, yoga, and running. Essentially I was exercising every single day. I've developed bad knee pain, and had to stop running, which really sucks. The hardest part this past month has been maintaining a fitness schedule on top of golf.

My diet was the most important part, for sure. My caloric intake was much higher than normal, but I eat 6 times a day. TONS of fruits/vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains for a combination of most meals.

For example: breakfast I typically eat a fortified cereal, one piece of whole grain PB toast, and two pieces of fruit. 3 hours later, vanilla protein shake made with water, granola bar, and some veggies. Around 12-1, a low fat turkey wrap and another piece of fruit. The hardest meal is the pre-dinner/midafternoon, which usually is PB crackers, and a half a protein shake. Dinner is always something grilled, be it pork or chicken breast, quinoa or couscous, and avacado/grilled almond garden salad.

Living with my wife to be who is a nutritional guru never hurt the process, but I've never eaten better! Point is, it takes a lot of dedication above and beyond just exercise, but it absolutely CAN be done.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    It's pretty rare you see a reply with a quote before someone posts that quote?
    I still can't figure it out.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm 26 years old, so hopefully I'm not considered a growing boy... My weight training is drastically reduced now that the season started, and in a month I've lost about 3 lbs. However, in the off season I was doing a combo of weights, yoga, and running. Essentially I was exercising every single day. I've developed bad knee pain, and had to stop running, which really sucks. The hardest part this past month has been maintaining a fitness schedule on top of golf.

My diet was the most important part, for sure. My caloric intake was much higher than normal, but I eat 6 times a day. TONS of fruits/vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains for a combination of most meals.

For example: breakfast I typically eat a fortified cereal, one piece of whole grain PB toast, and two pieces of fruit. 3 hours later, vanilla protein shake made with water, granola bar, and some veggies. Around 12-1, a low fat turkey wrap and another piece of fruit. The hardest meal is the pre-dinner/midafternoon, which usually is PB crackers, and a half a protein shake. Dinner is always something grilled, be it pork or chicken breast, quinoa or couscous, and avacado/grilled almond garden salad.

Living with my wife to be who is a nutritional guru never hurt the process, but I've never eaten better! Point is, it takes a lot of dedication above and beyond just exercise, but it absolutely CAN be done.
    That takes a lot of discipline.My hat is off to you. Way back I tried it and ended up fatter in the stomach and felt mostly bloated and other side effects as well.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar

Thumbs up

You are over training, and your body is breaking down. As you age you will need more rest between training routines. Build strength during the Winter months, and maintain your strenght during the golf season by only doing weights once a week.

Tiger trains very hard and he is starting to break down. My opinion, and trainers that I work with. Rest is as important as training. If you don't get the proper rest between section, you tear down muscle, not build muscle.

Good luck.

Semper fi,
    [URL="http://www.swingsyncgolf.ca"]www.swingsyncgolf.ca[/URL]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I was working out 4-5 days straight then taking only one day off. Like semper said, my body was not responding well to the workouts. I wasn't getting enough rest. My routine now is much simpler and I find the results are much better.

Monday: Chest and back, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Biceps and triceps, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: Legs and shoulders, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

I find I enjoy the gym much more, feel more rested when I'm back in the gym and my body composition changes more rapidly this way.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I was working out 4-5 days straight then taking only one day off. Like semper said, my body was not responding well to the workouts. I wasn't getting enough rest. My routine now is much simpler and I find the results are much better.

Monday: Chest and back, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Biceps and triceps, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: Legs and shoulders, abs, cardio (HIIT)
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

I find I enjoy the gym much more, feel more rested when I'm back in the gym and my body composition changes more rapidly this way.
    How many sets per body part? Lifting to failure? Heavy or moderate weights?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi45 View Post
    You are over training, and your body is breaking down. As you age you will need more rest between training routines. Build strength during the Winter months, and maintain your strenght during the golf season by only doing weights once a week.

Tiger trains very hard and he is starting to break down. My opinion, and trainers that I work with. Rest is as important as training. If you don't get the proper rest between section, you tear down muscle, not build muscle.

Good luck.
    Hard to say who is right. So many different philosophies out there regarding training and dieting and building muscles

Prisoners have some of the best bodybuilding physiques and train every day. Their diet consist of mostly fatty foods and 3 meals per day and far as I know they do not have access to steroids... and do not want to find out

Speed skaters train everyday and have Olympians thighs and glutes.

Gymnasts also train everyday and have some of the best all around physiques.

Some say you should have 8 small meals a day with at least 250 grams of proteins daily. Yet some vegeterian bodybuilders will follow a different diet ans still achieve excellent results

Very confusing
    Mahatma Gandhi

I think in the end everyones body reacts different to different regimes, and you just have to find the one that works best for you!

Thread Information